• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Low carb diets?

hvacrsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone else believe in them.

I went on one almost 10 years ago, I have been very pleased with how it has worked.
I lost about 60 lbs on it, I have been able to stay there by practicing it, although I still treat myself when I feel like it.

I have been surprised at how well it works and how easy it is to stay slim.

If you think about it, that is how we all used to eat before all the prepared food came into being. We all ate mostly protein and low carb natural foods.

What is your current diet like.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have lost 22 pounds in the last few months by going back to basics, i.e, counting calories, and increasing my activity (walking, swimming strength training several times per week).

I find now that when I shop, I tend to purchase everything from the outside isles of the stores - typically fruits, produce, meat and dairy. I buy very little processed food. I buy organic when I can.

I don't deny myself anything, I just watch the portion size and calories. I still have a ways to go but I have an advantage in that my DD is a certified personal trainer and she stays on my butt to stick with it.

My goal is to get off my Blood pressure and cholesterol medicines.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you think about it, that is how we all used to eat before all the prepared food came into being. We all ate mostly protein and low carb natural foods.

Only if you were wealthy enough to afford meat. A diet based on whole grains, vegies and fruit has been shown to be the most nutritious and health-promoting. That is not a high protein diet; it is higher in carbs.

Trouble is, most of us eat refined carbs and lots of them. They don't keep us feeling satisfied for very long so we eat more and more. It is the increase in calories not the increase in carbohydrate that is causing the weight gain.

I've looked at a lot of weight loss diets over the years and all of them were low calorie (or lower in calories than what an overweight person normally eats). I doesn't matter what the protein-carb-fat ratio is--as long as the energy (calorie) intake is lower that what your current needs are, you will lose weight. Whether or not you will be healthy is a different story.

I recommend tracking your food intake on www.sparkpeople.com or some other data base. At sparkpeople you can track your total (and %) protein, carb and fat. You can also track other nutrients of interest to you such as iron, saturated fat, sodium, etc. You can tailor the program to your own needs and interests. The last time I checked, SparkPeople was free.

How one defines low carb or high protein is rather vague. Does low carb mean 50% of calories or 40% or lower? Does it mean less than 100 gms per day? Are you excluding fiber (technically categorized as a carb) in your values? It's all just marketing mumbo-jumbo.

Eat whole foods*. Eat a variety of them in small amounts. Stay away from processed foods. Don't worry about carbs, fats, proteins, etc.

*Whole foods doesn't mean you eat the entire food. It just means you eat it close to the way nature made it. For example, a slice of melon is a whole food. The don't have to eat the whole melon.:D

To get "high" protein levels means you have to consume a lot of animal products--meat, fish, poultry, eggs, milk, cheese. The cost to the planet of eating our calories this way is something you may want to consider. It's expensive and I'm not just talking money.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
There is no secret to weight loss. You need to burn more calories than you consume. You can lose weight with "any" diet. The trick is to be doing something you can continue to maintain that weight loss. Kudos to you for keeping your weight off. I lost 60+ pounds on Weight Watchers and I've kept it off for 8 years now. I've reduced my blood pressure medication and reduced my cholesterol.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A low carb, high protein is what I do. I use to log my intake in places like Fitday or Spark to track what I was consuming. I still do on occasion but it has become such a way of life that it is not as necessary for me anymore. I keep my proteins at 80 - 100 grams a day and my carbs to 35 - 50 grams a day. That means that I get them mainly through complex carbs like fruits, vegetables and legumes. I pretty much stay away from simple carbs like bread and pasta. When you think about it the good stuff is on the inside of the bread and pasta anyway. I will have meat and cheese rolled up with romaine lettuce and Dijon mustard. Meatballs with sauce and ricotta cheese etc. I have great recipe sites if anyone is interested. They are always very flavorful and pretty easy.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Luanne. Any diet will do as long as you burn more calories than you consume. While I haven't lost any large amounts of weight, I have maintained a slim condition consuming an anti-Adkins diet - something akin to the Mediterranian diet - smaller portions of meat but lots of pasta, bread, and rice. Olive oil is a mainstay. Currently, I am six feet tall and 160 pounds.

It makes it interesting when my wife and I get together with my brother and sister in law. They are on an Adkins maintenence program. We don't want to eat much meat; they do. On the other hand, they don't want to eat any pasta, bread or rice. So what do we serve? Hmmmmm.....

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
It makes it interesting when my wife and I get together with my brother and sister in law. They are on an Adkins maintenence program. We don't want to eat much meat; they do. On the other hand, they don't want to eat any pasta, bread or rice. So what do we serve? Hmmmmm.....
Reminds me of the children's nursery rhyme "Jack Sprat.":D

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Low Carb diet:

Carbs are used by the body for energy source, when carbs are low, as in low carb diets the body looks for other sources (i.e. Fat) that is why low carb diets were popular as they quickly burn the bodies fat, the high protein is supposed to protect for losing a lot of muscle (i.e. the body will burn muscle as a last resort) and many body builders will have high protein shakes etc...

Most people lose weight quickly on the low carb methods (Atkins/South Beach etc..) the trick for most is to keep it off

Low carb diets also reccomend excercise

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

RedDogSD

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI a recent multiple year study of low carb and low fat diets was published. Same weight loss over the years. Cholesterol was slightly better on low carb. The researchers seemed to think that either was equally effective. It just depends on what you like to eat.

I do best with the following which was a book called the Omnivore's Dillemma.

Eat Food (not processed food like products). Not too much. Mostly plants. Meat is a side dish, not the main course.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer to call them 'good carb' diets. I've been very successful with the Atkins as background and have adapted it a bit. Basically cut out refined carbs, replace with vegetables, good mono fats, protein (and no, not a bunch of hot dogs and bacon), and whole grains.

Went for about a year avoiding sugar and never felt better--lost about 25 lbs.
Oh, also started a daily walking program.

I had more veggies on the Atkins diet than I had for a long time (and more than most people I know get on a regular basis).

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been on Atkins for over 20 years. Previously I tried every diet known to man. I would lose weight but regain it quickly.

With Atkins, I was able to take off 40 pounds and have kept it off. I weigh less now than I did as a teenager many moons ago.

I weigh in daily. If I put on two pounds, it's back to the strict Atkins protocol until I lose--in about two days. At other times, I eat more carb rich fruits and veggies than the Atkins diet prescribes. But I always make sure that my first meal is basically protein rich.. It keeps me from getting hungry for a long time, keeps my energy level high, and eliminates sweet cravings.

If I'm out and around and get hungry, those dollar specials at Burger King, Wendy's, and McD come in handy. I remove the bread/bun to feed to the birds later. I then "feast" on only the meat, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and onions. I keep sugar-free candies in the car for "dessert." And an insulated bag with diet soda cans and/or bottled water. All this helps the budget as well as the waistline.

I enjoy really good health and have more energy than most of my peers. (It wasn't always that way). I do take a lot of vitamins and supplements too.

L

laurac260

my two cents, for what it's worth

I've been studying nutrition for years, both in college, and on my own. Both thru diets, (how they work and how they don't), and thru actual food chemistry and how bodies break down food on a molecular level.

Still I find it interesting how people get to where they want to be (or don't), based on what they eat.

I was "trained" that the complex carb/mid protein/low fat diet was the way to go. Food has just gotten too complex to break it down that simply though. It no longer works to say, more calories burned than consumed, or vice versa. You have to have a chemistry degree (which I do not possess) to understand what food manufacturers are putting in our food, and how your body breaks it down (or, doesn't). I read, study, analyze the makeup of foods on my own and what food manufacturers are putting in food. I have begun to especially scrutinize foods as it relates to my sons allergies.

A very simple adage to follow is to not eat processed foods. Period. Now, this is not easy to do, in fact it is almost impossible unless you live on a farm. But you can avoid fast food (someone mentioned going to Mc'D's and eating the meat, not the bun). Honestly I'd feel safer eating the bun than anything that Mc'd's or BK calls "meat". We eat 98% of our meals at home. 90% of those meals are made with organic, grass fed, pesticide free, minimally processed etc foods. On the rare occasion we go out, regardless of the restaurant, I feel "polluted" when I wake up in the morning. Headaches, body aches, swollen puffy body. You think I am kidding, try it. Go even 80% organic, no pesticides, dairy with no steroids or growth hormones, grass fed meat and fish whenever possible (cows, fish, they weren't meant to eat corn--it makes them sick, and then we eat their flesh, the flesh of sick animal), minimally processed. Do this for a month. Then after that month, go out to eat. Anywhere. And tell me how you feel the next morning. I feel like a trainwreck. So does my husband. The people who live on a diet of cheeseburgers, pizza, highly processed whatever, you can pick them out of a crowd just by looking at the skin on their face. I don't mean to be judgmental. The problem isn't the people, or lack of willpower. It's the manufacturers. It's what they do to our food, to the animals.

Now, back to protein vs carbs. My husband and I have been married 12 years. He has no nutrition education, but he has a background in gymnastics and competitive, drug free body building. He knows how to build a muscular, extremely lean, physically fit body. We were at odds for years about eating. Not in a bad way, but me always telling him what I learned "complex carbs are what the body uses to break down for energy, etc, etc" We'd talk about how the body breaks down proteins, how the body sources out for energy within the body when you aren't feeding it, etc.

But an interesting thing happened to me recently. He said, just try this. Try increasing your protein level. You already know it isn't the fat you eat that makes you fat. Yes, I did come to that conclusion some time ago. For years I would look at the fat content only, and that was how I fed myself. It worked when I was in my 20's. Cut out fat. Lose weight. Now I am in my 40's. Doesn't work anymore unless I STARVE myself. So I said hey, duh, its what your body DOES with the food that matters. If I eat a stick of butter it's not like that stick finds it's way to my hips as a stick of butter. The body breaks down the food and CONVERTS IT.

Sugar. That's the devil's food! Ok, no, not really. But I realized that it's the sugar content that I need to look at. And sugar comes in so many forms. And it converts into fat almost completely. So, cutting down on sugar helped me lose weight. But....I was still in carb mode. Back to increasing protein. (I know this is rambling, but stay with me). Muscles tend to atrophy as we get older. What builds muscles? Protein. But you can only store as much protein as you body needs. You don't have protein "cells" just filling up with protein waiting to be used. Your body doesn't create more protein "cells" because you just ate a 14 oz porterhouse. If it did, every guy would like Ahnold.

As a woman, we tend to want to be "slender". Not muscular. So as we get older, our muscles atrophy, we store less protein because we have less muscles to store them in, but boy oh boy will your body keep making those fat cells! And fat holds water. And so does carbs. Get where I am going? My husband says, don't you realize, the more carbs you eat, the puffier your body gets? This isn't a chemist talking, or someone "schooled" in food science. But when a woman hears the words "...the more puffy you get" it doesn't matter what she THINKS she knows, she just wants to hear how you get "unpuffy". Mind you, he didn't say fat, and he didn't mean "fat". He meant exactly what I felt. Why is it that in the morning I can put on a pair of shorts and look lean and trim, and by the end of the day my mid section is bulging out over the waistband? Yet tomorrow I can put on the same pair of shorts and they are comfy again. Puffy.

So I tried it. I tried increasing my protein. I tried just eating the burger without the bun (or half the burger with the bun, and the other half without). For breakfast we'd make a 3 cheese omlette. Part egg, part organic "egg beaters". (but real cheese, not the processed junk) Instead of reaching for a carb for lunch, I would eat a plate of lean( organic) meat and cheese and a salad. A couple crackers, but not a big sandwich with two slices of bread. And wow. I absolutely noticed a difference. I was less "puffy". I can't say the scale changed a whole lot, because I didn't make some huge lifestyle change. I also didn't continue it for long, couldn't, because DS was diagnosed with food sensitivities to almost every protein except dairy, pork, turkey and fish, so I find myself struggling now with what to eat again, and have found myself reaching for the carbs--albeit gluten free ones! Anyway, I am fortunate that I am a weight and height that I do not need to care what the scale says. I've never cared what the scale said. I've only cared how I looked and felt. My "numbers" are perfect. I am not twiggy, more like a curvy type, but as long as my pants button nicely and I can wear a bikini with no shame, I'm good to go.

I didn't go all crazy with what I ate. The hamburgers we buy have less fat and calories than ground turkey. We don't eat bacon, don't eat fast food, etc. We stuck with chicken, lean beef, eggs, some fish (kids turn their nose up at it most of the time), and cheeses/yogurts.

A few weeks into this "lifestyle change" I happened to have a conversation with a mom that was debating with her daughter about what she should eat as a quick snack at a swim meet. She was diligently trying to steer her daughter away from the protein bar, and into a soft pretzel. She commented to me that she thought this craze of eating alot of protein was really bad for you. I commented back that I used to feel that way, but I am starting to take a second look at how I eat, and left it at that. But I did take note that the mother was probably my age, much more slender than me, but was already starting to get that middle aged atrophied look that women sometimes get when they don't keep their muscle mass up.

I used to hit the weights hard in the gym. I used to move some pretty big weights. I backed off it big time in my late 20's to 30's, and just went to a zillion reps each with little 10 lb and 20 lb dumbbells because I got tired of comparing myself to the skinny chicks. After I had my son a few years ago I felt like a great big weakling. It's not good to be 180 lbs postpartum with the strength of someone who weighs 100-120! I decided sometime later that the best thing I could do for me for my later years, was to get back some of that strength I used to have. I don't want to be in my 60's and frail, so I decided to embrace being muscular again. It's kind of liberating actually. Ladies, I highly recommend increasing your protein level and cutting down the sugar immensely. And hitting the weight machines. Push yourself. You won't regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a study by the Annals of Internal Medicine that shows that while there is similar weight loss between individuals on low-carb vs low fat diets, there was measurable improvement in heart disease risk in the low carb group....
http://www.annals.org/content/153/3/I-35.full

So there ya go...

Jim Ricks

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Portion Control. Americans eat way too much at every meal. For me, that has been the way to lose weight. You can eat almost anything but if the portions are "normal" there is generally no problem. Of course eating healthy foods is important no matter the portion or calorie count.

L

laurac260

Portion Control. Americans eat way too much at every meal. For me, that has been the way to lose weight. You can eat almost anything but if the portions are "normal" there is generally no problem. Of course eating healthy foods is important no matter the portion or calorie count.

That is a very vague statement, that doesn't even scratch the surface of what is wrong with our food sources. And most people have no idea what a proper portion of anything is.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a study by the Annals of Internal Medicine that shows that while there is similar weight loss between individuals on low-carb vs low fat diets, there was measurable improvement in heart disease risk in the low carb group....

So there ya go...

Jim Ricks

This is a very nice article.
My doctor stress a daily exercise routine of 30 - 45 minutes per day and eating three (3) balance meals per day + eating two (2) light snacks per day.

I have loss 26 pounds over three years.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I find now that when I shop, I tend to purchase everything from the outside isles of the stores - typically fruits, produce, meat and dairy. I buy very little processed food. I buy organic when I can.

Famous fitness guru Jack Lalanne, who is probably about 120 years old by now, had that philosophy he lived by. He said, "If Man made it, don't eat it." He said when he goes grocery shopping, he shops the perimeter of the store - that's where the vegetables, fruits, dairy, meats, and breads are located. All the center aisles are full of the manmade stuff he doesn't want to eat. Such a simple idea, yet seemed to really work for him...

Dave

L

laurac260

Things I cut out completely out of my family's diet:

chemical sweeteners
"natural" sweeteners, such as stevia and the like
high fructose corn syrup
trans fat and if the ingredients say partially hydrogenated anything, it DOES have trans fat even if the label says trans fat free (thanks FDA for making THAT ONE possible!)
anabolic steriods and other growth hormones
sulfites that are added in to foods, as much as humanly possible to avoid
MSG (which comes in many, many forms not called MSG)
corn fed meat as much as humanly possible
antibiotic injected meats
poultry injected with salt water and/or bouillon
meat/poultry that was not free range
eggs that did not come from free range hens
non organic dairy
Pretty much everything that Kraft, or Nabisco, or Kelloggs or any of the big name manufacturers make.
Purdue, Tyson and the like
all fast food, most chain restaurants, actually, most restaurants period.

that's just what I can come up with while sitting here right now. I'm sure there's more.

Last edited by a moderator:

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a very vague statement, that doesn't even scratch the surface of what is wrong with our food sources. And most people have no idea what a proper portion of anything is.

I learned what proper portions were when I went to Montreal and Quebec City. We ate out virtually every day and didn't gain one ounce. When we got back home and went to restaurants the food portions were humongous by comparison. You know it when you see it. So my recommendation is that all tuggers interested in losing weight go to French Canada for a minimum of one week and learn what proper portions are. :)

L

laurac260

I learned what proper portions were when I went to Montreal and Quebec City. We ate out virtually every day and didn't gain one ounce. When we got back home and went to restaurants the food portions were humongous by comparison. You know it when you see it. So my recommendation is that all tuggers interested in losing weight go to French Canada for a minimum of one week and learn what proper portions are. :)

Well, that will solve the problem of .0000000000000001% of our population at least!

L

laurac260

Famous fitness guru Jack Lalanne, who is probably about 120 years old by now, had that philosophy he lived by. He said, "If Man made it, don't eat it." He said when he goes grocery shopping, he shops the perimeter of the store - that's where the vegetables, fruits, dairy, meats, and breads are located. All the center aisles are full of the manmade stuff he doesn't want to eat. Such a simple idea, yet seemed to really work for him...

Dave

That is a simple idea, but a great one. All the years of driving over this vast country, I have never seen a field where boxes of hamburger helper or chicken nuggets roam freely, nor have I seen fruit rollups growing beside a flowing stream!

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score

So there ya go...

Jim Ricks

I was interested to see what the "measurable improvement in heart disease risk" was so I read the summary. The study was only two years long. It states:

"A low-carbohydrate diet may modestly improve some, but not all, risk factors for heart disease. It is unknown whether these improvements will influence the future development of heart disease." (emphasis added)

I think I will still put my money on a plant-based diet with minimal amounts of animal products, and avoiding heavily processed and engineered "foods" for long-term health. Now, if only I could discipline myself.:eek:

hvacrsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was interested to see what the "measurable improvement in heart disease risk" was so I read the summary. The study was only two years long. It states:

"A low-carbohydrate diet may modestly improve some, but not all, risk factors for heart disease. It is unknown whether these improvements will influence the future development of heart disease." (emphasis added)

I think I will still put my money on a plant-based diet with minimal amounts of animal products, and avoiding heavily processed and engineered "foods" for long-term health. Now, if only I could discipline myself.:eek:

Low carb still has plenty of vegetables, if you don't eat plenty of them, you will not enjoy the low carb diet. I just happen to love fish and seafood in general, I also love most low carb vegetables. So for me it works well and my lab results prove it, my cholesterol is very low.
We basically need a diet that works for all of us.

I also totally agree about not eating processed or pre made food of any type, you just don't know what in them.

We only get one body, we all to take better care of our bodies, based on the latest news, almost 30% of us are obese, I find that sad, but I see it everywhere! Why aren't the school systems doing a better job of teaching this stuff? One of the most important facettes of our lives and kids aren't being taught anything about it. what gives?

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why aren't the school systems doing a better job of teaching this stuff? One of the most important facettes of our lives and kids aren't being taught anything about it. what gives?
It's a multi-faceted problem that can't be solved by merely teaching nutrition in the classroom, although that's important. Did you watch Jamie Oliver's show? http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/jamies-food-revolution It highlights the social problems of what and why we eat what we do. This program featured trying to change the school lunch program in one school district.

One of the issues was money and what a school lunch budget will actually buy. Another issue was educating and changing the eating habits of the adults in the child's home. Another was changing the attitudes of the school lunch workers. Another was the children themselves. Jamie demonstrates what a chicken nugget is made of. It is so disgusting that whenever he has used this demonstration the people he's shown it to refuse to eat the nuggets. Not the American kids! They ate them anyway! Another facet is peer pressure.

It can be done but it takes the entire community.