• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan Riviera - 1/31 to 2/7 anyone else?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
My first trip to Mexico (well, not counting as a kid when we went across the border from Arizona like almost 30 years ago).

We'll be staying at the Grand Mayan at the Mayan Riviera. Any other tuggers who will be there that week? (1/31 to 2/7)

Figured maybe we could share a cab or something to get groceries at Wal-Mart or something.

Not renting a car yet, so I guess I'll have to save up for some taxi fare.

Looking to spend one day at either Xcaret or Xel-Ha and one day snorkeling probably at Pueblo Morales. And one day at Playa Del Carmen. The rest is wide open.

Anyone know if the mosquitos will be bad that time of year? Last I saw, even recent stays said to bring bug spray, but I think Nov/Dec is the "hot/rainy" months there, but to me, anything warmer than 15-20 that we're having right now is warm.

spitubbe

TUG Member
Reaction score
My first trip to Mexico (well, not counting as a kid when we went across the border from Arizona like almost 30 years ago).

We'll be staying at the Grand Mayan at the Mayan Riviera. Any other tuggers who will be there that week? (1/31 to 2/7)

Figured maybe we could share a cab or something to get groceries at Wal-Mart or something.

Not renting a car yet, so I guess I'll have to save up for some taxi fare.

Looking to spend one day at either Xcaret or Xel-Ha and one day snorkeling probably at Pueblo Morales. And one day at Playa Del Carmen. The rest is wide open.

Anyone know if the mosquitos will be bad that time of year? Last I saw, even recent stays said to bring bug spray, but I think Nov/Dec is the "hot/rainy" months there, but to me, anything warmer than 15-20 that we're having right now is warm.

Hurnik,
Sorry, we will be there the following week. We usually take the GM shuttle to Playa for $2-3 down and it is about $35 for the six of us coming back. We had a lot of groceries. This will be our fifth year in a row, during the same month at this location and we have never had a problem with mosquitos, but I wouldn't rule it out. You will love this location and the Grand Mayan facilities, it is always expanding and we found the weather to be perfect, considering our snow days here in Ohio. Haven't ever been to Xcaret or Xel-Ha, but we have heard great things about both. Have a great trip.
Ted

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Ted.

Yes, a bit chilly right now (a high of about 15 today and with the windchill it's minus something or other)

Can't wait for warm and sunny weather.

--Kevin

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Mayan

You are so lucky. The resort is fabulous I have stayed there several times. What size unit are you staying in? Check-out the size of refrig before grocery shopping.
If you are arriving early make sure you pack your swimsuit or shorts where you can easily get to them. Grand Mayan does enforce check-in times. Which I think might be 5 pm. If you are arriving late you will want to eat at the resort the first night and go to town the next morning for supplies. We always take our own coffee along and snacks. The restuarants on site aren't really all that pricey for a few meals. Sometimes we are just to lazy to go into town for dinner and we just order room service. Good food no hassle.
I agree about taking the shuttle from the resort for 3.00 per person to Playa the first time to get your bearings. It used to drop off at the Walmart. Wander around for awhile then do your grocery shopping and then take a cab back to Grand Mayan the cost last year was 20.00 US they will drop you at your building.
We take the bus system Playa Express quite often, but you can't take groceries abroard. The cost on that is 1.50 and drops near 5th avenue. Takes more time then a cab.
Read all the reviews you can learn so much from them. There is so much to do in the area. I have found the map of Playa Del Carmen with www.cancunmap.com to be of great value you feel like a travel expert just by reading all the information.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I'm in a 1 bedroom unit. I've heard rumor that sometimes if you tip them $5-$10 US you can get earlier into your room than 5:00 p.m.

We shall see.

I'll have to check out the prices on the room service as I've heard it's not as expensive as if you eat the restaurants.

But I think at least 2 days we'll be out most of the day so probably just want/need some breakfast type things. I know you don't get coffee and stuff, so I will bring that on the checked baggage (I like my dunkin donuts coffee).

Any idea what type coffee filters they use? The cone or the round ones?

I exchanged into RCI to get the room (I have HGVC) so hopefully all will go well.

KCSnowbirds

Reaction score
Hi Hurnik - we will also be at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya for a week starting January 30. We do not plan to rent a car and might like to share a taxi to a few places.

This web site has had some great info!

KCSnowbirds

Reaction score
Here's another question we haven't seen answered anywhere - is the water at the GM Riviera Maya filtered and safe to drink?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Hurnik - we will also be at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya for a week starting January 30. We do not plan to rent a car and might like to share a taxi to a few places.

This web site has had some great info!

Hi KC,

Sounds great. I'll PM you with a phone # or some way to get in touch. First time in Mexico and at the Grand Mayan.

For your other question, yes, the water is filtered. I've been advised to use the room waters (they supposedly give you some water bottles) and get some water at the WalMart, etc. as well for if you go out and about and stuff.

travel bug

TUG Member
Reaction score
me too

Hurnik - I have sent you a private message.

For other tuggers that will be at the resort we will be there for two weeks starting on the 30th of January at the Mayan Palace.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Here's another question we haven't seen answered anywhere - is the water at the GM Riviera Maya filtered and safe to drink?

Yes - they have a huge water filtration plant that they are very proud of. All the Mayan Palace and Grand Mayans do. We drink the water and make Crystal Light Lemonade with it all the time. Have a blast! You will enjoy it even more with the weather you have been enduring lately.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
They used to have Krups coffee makers with the cone filters, but in Cabo, they had the round ones. I usually put 7 of each size in a baggie. They often do supply filters. When we were in Cabo this past Nov, they had small bags of coffee, but you had to pay 80 pesos if you used it. We took our own coffee too.

As for the water, don't worry about drinking it. If you prefer bottled water, buy it at the Mega or Walmart. They charge more for it in your unit. Check the little tag near the cap.

Room Service at the GM is a bargain and you can get it when you want it. We love the huge cheeseburgers with fries and an order of guacamole, with fresh salsa, - ask for extra chips. We share this and are both full. That is generally our meal the first night there. After a day of travel and unpacking, it is just nice to kick back in your unit.

I always keep a few of the Off Towelettes in my "first aid baggie". I never go on vacation without a mini first aid kit that has bandaids with neosporin on them, Off towelettes, Imodium, Zantac, Pepto Tablets, Advil, Benadryl, cough drops, and Sudafed. A small bottle of Purell and/or Wet Ones are also in the suitcase for travel, but that small Ziploc bag goes in my tote bag as soon as I get to the resort. Someone in our group always needs one of these items. Everything is over the counter and in a Ziploc bag in a checked suitcase.

serandal

Reaction score
Week of Jan. 30th

I will also be there the week of the 30th until Feb. 6th. Since I am traveling alone, it would be great to meet some other Tuggers for a chat.

KathyAH475

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe
DVC
MVC
Hi! We are going to Grand Mayan Riviera the week of Feb 14- 21 (our 2nd time there, went last year, too) and I am looking forward to sun, sun, sun and now see on weather.com that there is going to be clouds and rain! This can't be true. I am crossing my fingers, toes and eyes that this report changes. I am in Maryland with 31 inches of snow, and 12 more inches coming today and tomorrow. For those of you going this week, have a warm sunny fun time!