• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Valley of Fire or Red Rock Canyon?

forfun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll have a car for a day while in Vegas and plan on driving to Hoover Dam and stopping at Ethel M's. Don't know if there will be enough ime to do both Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon. If there isn't, which one would you chose?

TIA

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
For just one day, I'd pick Red Rock if you're also doing Hoover Dam. I took a guest over to Hoover Dam on Saturday and while it doesn't take long to drive there, if was very slow going across the dam. There was a lot of traffic and a lot of pedestrian traffic so there was a lot of stop & go. It's worth the time, though, but it may take longer than you planned.

Therefore, Red Rock would be a better option to add to your Hoover Dam trip, and it's beautiful out there.

Werner

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Therefore, Red Rock would be a better option to add to your Hoover Dam trip, and it's beautiful out there.

I agree, Red Rock Canyon is beautiful. Be sure to take the scenic loop. There are also some short trails off the scenic loop.

derb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Valley of fire. You can loop doing the valley of fire, then to hoover dam and back to vegas. Its about 45 min to the valley, an hour from vallely to hoover and finally about 45 min from hoover to vegas. Be sure to do the white dome trail in the valley.

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
My vote would be for Red Rock Canyon if you're concerned about time. It's BEAUTIFUL and a "must see" in my book. There is a $5.00 entrance fee (per car).

eoneguru

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did the Valley of Fire last October and spent the good part of the day there. I think you need to do that to get a good feel for the place. There is also a fair amount fo walking involved. This is one of our photos from the valley.

LasVegas2008141.jpg

We also took a rafting tour of the Colorado that starts just below the dam and ends up in AZ. This a photo from that tour.

LasVegas2008022.jpg

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We also took a rafting tour of the Colorado that starts just below the dam and ends up in AZ.
Did you enjoy the rafting tour? Do they pick you up at the end of it and drive you back to your car? Is the water calm all the way?

eoneguru

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you enjoy the rafting tour? Do they pick you up at the end of it and drive you back to your car? Is the water calm all the way?

The family enjoyed the tour very much. The river is very calm, no white water. :D They do drive you back to your car and a box lunch is provided.

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
Valley of Fire

Valley of fire would be my choice, more things to see such as the petroglyphs shown in the photo.

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My vote would be for Red Rock Canyon if you're concerned about time. It's BEAUTIFUL and a "must see" in my book. There is a $5.00 entrance fee (per car).

Why is there fee for Red Rock Canyon? I have been to both and I only paid at the Valley of Fire.
Is there another scenic route in Red Rock that I missed?
I usually go around the loop of the Red Rock and come back to Vegas towards Downtown.
Maybe I need to go back again and check... :D

macko420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, tough choice! I absolutely loved the Valley of Fire - so much to see and it covers a bigger area if you are driving around. Red Rock Canyon was fabulous also but it seemed to be a smaller area - at least to us. I think that the hiking might be 'better' at Red Rock. There were more trails with people using them. The Valley of Fire didn't have as many people, at least on the day we were there. I'll never forget the 'silence' - it was beautiful......
Well, like others have said, you can't go wrong with either choice! Have a wonderful trip!

derb

TUG Member
Reaction score
One reason I like the valley is size. Red rock is beautiful but most of the best hiking trails are the first 3 miles of a 12 miles loop.

Werner

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why is there fee for Red Rock Canyon? I have been to both and I only paid at the Valley of Fire.
Is there another scenic route in Red Rock that I missed?
I usually go around the loop of the Red Rock and come back to Vegas towards Downtown.
Maybe I need to go back again and check... :D

Yes, there is a scenic loop drive at Red Rock that goes into the canyon and has several trails and turnouts.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely ~ Red Rock Canyon. We loved it and it was an easy drive getting there.

vacationdoc

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hot summer

If going during the summer, I would drive the scenic loop at Red Rock, especially late in the afternoon. It is really hot for hiking, especially in the state park.