• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just finally sold my timeshare! Woo!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Lots Of People Notice That.

Am I the only one that notices when a person who offers their post or either has a very low number of posts that a lot of people here will jump on them and almost come out and say that what they are speaking about must be a lie?
That's because the bogusness is obvious & it's a pattern that happens over & over.

Click Here for some earlier straight talk on this topic.

You've got to get up awfully early in the morning to put 1 over on the savvy TUG-BBS veterans.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

dude7707

Reaction score
Any good/bad experiences RE: Meridian Media Group, LLC?

Just spoke with Meridian Media Group, LLC, also DBA Timeshare Advisor Magazine and Premiertimeshares.com...offer to refund upfront fee of $799
upon closing.....

Anyone have good or bad experience with them?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you only talked to them. They will never close a deal and sellers will never get the upfront money back.

dude7707

Reaction score
Yes...only talked with them..they claim they need inventory and time is running out....always seems to be an urgent matter...this way they want you to react quickly without researching them more......

Comments/suggestions...RE: listing and staying away these $799 upfront fee requirements?

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I once told one of these companies in a hurry that I'd take $1,000 upfront if they wanted the privilege of listing my timeshare.

No one has ever hung-up a phone faster. No one. None of the girls who didn't want me calling them again, no one. :D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That "urgency" is an old salesmen's trick to pressure you into turning your money over to them. I can assure you they don't need inventory - - right now the resale market is glutted with low-cost resales. They are only urgent about getting your money....

Here's what usually happens in these situations: Click here

There are many places where you can advertise for cheap or free, I like TUG, Redweek, and Craigslist.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes...only talked with them..they claim they need inventory and time is running out....always seems to be an urgent matter...this way they want you to react quickly without researching them more......

Comments/suggestions...RE: listing and staying away these $799 upfront fee requirements?
Needed inventory!!! :D

One time someone from an upfront fee company who was on the phone with me said that. I went to their website and noted they had about 30 listings for units almost identical with mine at the resort.

Without missing a beat she said, "But there are 52 weeks in a year, so that's really only a little more than one-half of a unit. That's why we're looking for more inventory."

I did get a laugh out of that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Moosie- Just check to be sure the resort transferred the title . Some tuggers have mentioned selling a unit and then, a year or so later, getting billed for back fees and maint fees. Turns out the transfer of title never occurred and they still are responsible for the maint fees etc., some of which were suppsoed to be paid at time of sale by the "agent." Good luck.

That is correct I have just dealt with this. We supposedly sold (transfered at time of purchase) our timeshare when purhasing with Mayan Palace in Mexico. I just received a bill for 2 years (YES 2 flipin yrs) of maint. fees, late taxes, and even an assessment fee they threw in for good measure, for a place we thought we didn't own any longer in Daytona Beach, FL. So least to say, yes our name is still on the titlle, and the company which I'm assuming I can not mention here, paid Mayan Palace so we could use that money as money down($6,500.) on the purchase of our 4 wks. (I'm finding that hard to believe now also). But we do own the 4 wks at Mayan & wouldn't trade them for anything, we do not need to pay maint. if we do not use the weeks. We even get 2 wks bonus.

I'm not as pissed as my husband, cause the place in Daytona was not a bad place and was only for even yrs. I will have to problem (I hope) to rent out the flex week or for that matter even banking it w/RCI to use elsewhere.

BUT yes.....Moosie, make sure your name has been removed from the title, take it from a sucker.

We are also trying to sell one we also own in Jackman, Maine. We have an apt. to meet with somebody in Fort Lauderdale tomorrow to see what they have to say in person about selling it for us and they state no upfront fee's. Can't wait to see what BULL....crap they have to say. I'm ready though !!!:wall:

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We are also trying to sell one we also own in Jackman, Maine. We have an apt. to meet with somebody in Fort Lauderdale tomorrow to see what they have to say in person about selling it for us and they state no upfront fee's. Can't wait to see what BULL....crap they have to say. I'm ready though !!!:wall:
That appointment probably isn't a firm that wants an upfront fee to list. What they wlll want is for you to pay $3500 or so and they will take it off your hands (or so they will say).

Reaction score
That's obviously worse than paying upfront fee's, what the haaaaayy !!!
Well guess there is no easy way to have somebody else deal with selling something you are no longer using, unless you do it yourself through the sites you guys have mentioned above. Oh goody !!!! Time I really don't have :doh:

Bill4728

Reaction score
That's obviously worse than paying upfront fee's, what the haaaaayy !!!
Well guess there is no easy way to have somebody else deal with selling something you are no longer using, unless you do it yourself through the sites you guys have mentioned above. Oh goody !!!! Time I really don't have :doh:
There are brokers out there who will sell your unit for you but they mostly work with TS which resale for well over $5000. So we're talking the Westins, Marriott & Hiltons mostly.

rhkerr66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rufus,

This same group of vipers did nthe same thing to me so I'm with you right or wrong. They are a nasty bunch and NO, they won't stand for hearing the truth.

I was able to get rid of two timeshare weeks but it cost me a total of about $500 for transfer fees. I have my proof but nobody wanted it.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score

DON'T DO IT!!! You'll never, ever see your 799 again.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rufus,

This same group of vipers did nthe same thing to me so I'm with you right or wrong. They are a nasty bunch and NO, they won't stand for hearing the truth.

I was able to get rid of two timeshare weeks but it cost me a total of about $500 for transfer fees. I have my proof but nobody wanted it.

If we are such snakes - why do you come back

- So you Paid $ 500 to give away two tmeshares ?????

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sound advice - NEVER pay an upfront fee. Never.

Rufus,

The truth is that 99%+ of the time if you pay an upfront fee of $100 or more that is money down the toilet as the group you give it to will do little or nothing to sell your timeshare. IF one or two owners by some miracle actually got a buyer after paying the upfront fee it is a fluke - certainly not a reason to change the long standing advice to avoid any company that requires anything over $50-$75 as the minimum to place your timeshare for sale.

It is particularly enlightening to attempt to get these very same groups to explain why they require upfront money rather than taking a commission when a sale actually is completed. The "reasoning" is that:

- They aren't licensed real estate sellers
- The commissions on a low priced sale would be too low
- "No one" resells timeshares that way

and many more.

All should be huge red flags that they KNOW the week won't sell for anything approaching the number they are pitching, they cannot legally represent the seller in any negotiations and that the only money they are likely to see IS the upfront fee. Once you understand that it is clear that it is you as the potential seller taking all of the risk and paying all of the fes while they have no exposure and have most if not all of what they stand to make the moment they get your payment. Not a process likely to lead to a sale for you and one that gives them virtually no incentive to actually spend any time or money to promote an actual sale.

Be VERY suspicious of anyone making claims that so and so company "works" despite requiring a hefty up front fee as even those that take $3500+/- to "buy" your timeshare often do not follow through and still leave you on the hook for future fees and $3500+/- poorer. It is a case of seller beware. Almost unique thus hard for people to recognize when they are being scammed. The advice stands. Pay no upfront fees to "sell" your timeshare no matter what you may hear or read. There aren't a group of circling vipers here but rather in the wild looking to separate you and your money for "services" and a sale they will never deliver.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Vipers, Shmypers.

The truth is that 99%+ of the time if you pay an upfront fee of $100 or more that is money down the toilet as the group you give it to will do little or nothing to sell your timeshare. IF one or two owners by some miracle actually got a buyer after paying the upfront fee it is a fluke - certainly not a reason to change the long standing advice to avoid any company that requires anything over $50-$75 as the minimum to place your timeshare for sale.

It is particularly enlightening to attempt to get these very same groups to explain why they require upfront money rather than taking a commission when a sale actually is completed. The "reasoning" is that:

- They aren't licensed real estate sellers
- The commissions on a low priced sale would be too low
- "No one" resells timeshares that way

and many more.

All should be huge red flags that they KNOW the week won't sell for anything approaching the number they are pitching, they cannot legally represent the seller in any negotiations and that the only money they are likely to see IS the upfront fee. Once you understand that it is clear that it is you as the potential seller taking all of the risk and paying all of the fes while they have no exposure and have most if not all of what they stand to make the moment they get your payment. Not a process likely to lead to a sale for you and one that gives them virtually no incentive to actually spend any time or money to promote an actual sale.

Be VERY suspicious of anyone making claims that so and so company "works" despite requiring a hefty up front fee as even those that take $3500+/- to "buy" your timeshare often do not follow through and still leave you on the hook for future fees and $3500+/- poorer. It is a case of seller beware. Almost unique thus hard for people to recognize when they are being scammed. The advice stands. Pay no upfront fees to "sell" your timeshare no matter what you may hear or read. There aren't a group of circling vipers here but rather in the wild looking to separate you and your money for "services" and a sale they will never deliver.
Where's the viper-speak in any of that ?

Nowhere.

When the savvy old hands of TUG-BBS pour cold water on the testimony of the Up-Front Fee boosters, what you're hearing is the voice of experience & not the hiss of vipers.

If someone forks over big bux to the Up-Front Fee people, that is no skin off the nose of the savvy old hands. They post their common-sense advice for the benefit of the newbies & for no other reason.

Vipers my foot.

Sheesh.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

rhkerr66

TUG Member
Reaction score
My point is that I had a success story to tell and the vipers didn't want me to share it - they only wanted to be critical possibly depriving others of the same opportunity I had.

I did pay the legal fees associated with giving my units away (which some Tuggers suggested might be the only way to get rid of them) and I'm not a bit sorry.

I have already saved over $1,300 in maintenance fees for this year and continue to have great, reasonably priced vacation opportunities thru RCI, VRBO and Arizona Snowbird.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My point is that I had a success story to tell and the vipers didn't want me to share it - they only wanted to be critical possibly depriving others of the same opportunity I had.

No one has stopped you from telling your story, except when you violated the TUG posting rules, which I see has happened several times.

Just as you have been allowed to post your point of view, others have the right to post there's. That's the way a BBS works.

It's very simple - if you don't want people to respond, then don't post.

Last edited:

rhkerr66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise,

I'm sure you do good work and that you are a reasonable person.

Well, I am too.

Don't like being called a liar though. How about you?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
But I think it's pretty clear that you have been lying.

Having reviewed all of his posts, I fail to find the lies you indicated. Yes, he potentially seemed to be endorsing a company that might be adopting a strategy that would have a chilling impact on existing timeshare resorts. But other than that, I fail to find the facts you have indicated.

bdvorachek

TUG Member
Reaction score
selling timeshares

I can't help but jump into this discussion. I have bought timeshares off of ebay several times. When I decide that I no longer need the timeshare, I contacted a resale company and listed the timeshare at a very reasonable price. Purchased one for $100 and sold for $4000 two years later...the other one I just listed at $6000. In both cases, I did pay an upfront fee of $600. I guess I haven't had the same experience as everybody else with companies taking the money and running. The normal cost of advertising justifies the $600 fee in my mind.

If you price your timeshare on the low end of the market it is very possible to come out ahead after getting some years of enjoyment out of the timeshare.

I purchased 4 timeshares now off of ebay and find it a great way to utilize rci and receive years of enjoyment out of the timeshare. Selling with a resale company with REASONABLE expectations just adds icing on the cake. Let me know if you have any questions...

ctyatty

TUG Member
Reaction score
I call the BS meter on this post, you paid $600 up front sold your ebay purchase for thousands, yeah, right, send me the details, resort, week, and book and page of the deeds.

bdvorachek

TUG Member
Reaction score
Celebrity Resort Steamboat Springs, floating week, ...the person who purchased was thrilled and has emailed me several times. Many people use resellers because they don't trust ebay and are happy with the less than developer price they get. I have no reason to make this up..I just thought maybe some people could benefit from the optimism that timeshare sales are possible and do occur. I didn't buy the resort with the intent to sell it. I bought it and used it twice. I looked to ebay after an article was featured in national geographic traveler on how to buy timeshare on the cheap. When I was ready to get a different one, I contacted the reseller and it worked..maybe I got lucky.

You must remember that most people aren't as savy as TUG users when it comes to buying timeshare ownership. I am not touting any company ...all I am saying is that it is possible as I have done it. I will let you know if it works this time too...I listed it with a different company.

Brenda