• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Anyone drive a Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit? We're looking for a small car with good gas mileage for DH to use for short distances and to give to our teen son in a couple of years.

I had decided that the Yaris might fit the bill, since the prices are good, until I woke up this morning and it was pouring the rain. After years of driving an AWD Subaru Outback, nothing else seems to hug the road as well in wet weather. Any experience to share?

Thanks,

Sheila

eoneguru

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t have any first hand experience with either car, but Consumer Reports recommends the Fit in this class. The Yaris didn’t get a good review. If you are interested in AWD, they also recommend the Suzuki SX4. Hope this helps. … Ray

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Honda Fit.

We bought our daughter a Honda Fit Sport for Christmas. At the time the research put it above the others. Love it. So much room for such a little car. Great configuration. And 10 cup holders!!! It's really peppy too.

We only added one option to the Sport...the center armrest because the existing driver's armrest was tiny and there was none for the passenger side.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The oldest DS (35) has a Fit- the car, not the emotional problem- and loves it. They also have an Accord but when they (family of 4) take a road trip thy take the Fit. They live in the Seattle area so rain and this year snow have not been a problem.

Consumer Reports prefers the Fit over the Yaris.

Jim Ricks

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We bought our son a Fit this past summer. We all love it. I am especially enamored with the different configurations for the seats and the hatch. Since we no longer have a minivan, we were missing a way to haul bikes and other large items.

DS probably would have loved any car that we bought him but he seems to really like the Fit. He commutes to school and needs the good gas mileage.

Deb

thedawglb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honda Fit

I just got rid of my 2008 Honda Fit Sport. Great car, got around wonderful in the snow. The only thing that I would have had different on the car is a center armrest. I was able to take my son, his friend, and friend's mom on to a ice hockey tournament in it with two full size hockey equipment bags and luggage for all of us. The only reason I traded it was because I have been doing a lot of traveling lately and the ride is a little uncomfortable when you are in it for 7 or 8 hours straight. But any car with a short wheelbase will do that to you. I would usually get 36 or 37 mpg on the road and 32-33 in town.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not a ford fusion? As I understand you will get a complete credit on your fed tax return for state tax or excise tax. Further, if you can wait a few weeks it looks like you will get a minimum of $5000 for a trade-in that is at least 8 years old - if you have one.

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club
We have the Yaris

We bought a 3-door manual 2008 Yaris for two reasons.

Advantages: Price and gas mileage.

It was the cheapest new car around at the time.

The only up grades I added was power window and electronic locks. A/C is standard. ABS optional (...but I think it is standard for 2009)

The mileage has been consistently 34-36 mpg around town and 40+ highway.

Has 5 cup holders (wife's request since the last car I bought had none)

Disadvantages: It's not very large. While it has seat belts for 5 it's pretty much comfortable for only the two adults in the front.

It can carry a Costco load if you flatten the back seats. Needs a center elbow rest console (additional option)

The handling is extremely light (electronic power steering) no road feel. The engine is under powered (106hp). You can easily stall it in first gear when starting from a stoplight.

still for an around town car, I'm getting used to it, but I wouldn't select it as a long distance vacation hauler.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Why not a ford fusion? As I understand you will get a complete credit on your fed tax return for state tax or excise tax. Further, if you can wait a few weeks it looks like you will get a minimum of $5000 for a trade-in that is at least 8 years old - if you have one.

That's interesting information. Hadn't seen that. Wonder if my 2002 that I bought in the fall of 2001 would be considered 8 years old? $5000 is defiinitely more than I'm being offered for it as a trade.

Not sure I can stand to drive my trade for another few weeks though. I want to buy soon.

Sheila

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The engine is under powered (106hp). You can easily stall it in first gear when starting from a stoplight.

The owner of the dealership happened to be there as I was leaving yesterday and started a conversation. He implied that the Yaris was pretty low powered, saying that I might want to look at a Scion for the larger engine and about the same money. I mentioned that the Scion was the only car on the road uglier than my Honda Element.

Since in a year or so this car will go to my now 15yo son, I'm not sure I want too much engine power. This would just be a driving the kids to school type car for now. It's really silly that DH uses a minivan to haul the two of them.

Sheila

Art4th

TUG Member
Reaction score
We looked at all the small cars last year when my wife was ready for a new one. She liked the Fit, but they don't have an option for a sunroof which she really wanted. The Yaris has the ugliest interior we have ever seen on a car. She narrowed it down to the Nissan Versa or the Mazda3 and ended up getting the Mazda3 hatchback. She loves it!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We drove a Yaris in Orlando for a week and decided we might get one when Rick retires and we no longer need a pickup.

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We drove the Yaris in Orlando, too. I didn't like it, mainly because I could not see the front end while I was driving! I am kind of short so that may not be an issue for others, but I had the worst time trying to park. I felt like there was nothing between my front window and the back of the tractor trailers in front of me, at times. Also, I didn't feel it had enough "zip" -- merging onto the freeways from busy ramps was a bit of a challenge.

I always try to get a different kind of economy car when I rent. I have a 2008 Civic that I hope to keep for a few more years, and want to try as many different cars as possible before I replace it. So far I dislike the Yaris, the Cobalt, and the Focus. To my surprise I liked the Hyundai Elantra.

BUT...it will be pretty hard to switch from Hondas when I do replace my good ole' Civic. I've had such good luck with Hondas.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone whom I work with bought a FIT a couple years ago and loves it. I've been in it several times and am convinced they have used mirrors in strategic places to get it to feel so much bigger inside than it looks outside.

I'm really not sure how they managed but it really feels roomy and comfy inside. He loves it and I'm impressed.

Last edited:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone whom I work with bought one a couple years ago and loves it. I've been in it several times and am convinced they have used mirrors in strategic places to get it to feel so much bigger inside than it looks outside.

I'm really not sure how they managed but it really feels roomy and comfy inside. He loves it and I'm impressed.

Did I miss something, but which one car are you referring to, Yaris or Fit? :)

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One (three letters) = Fit (three letters).

What? That wasn't obvious? :ignore:

I've changed the orginal post...thanks Rick.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess the Fit is the winner. After DH drove it, he wouldn't even consider driving the Yaris. Wasn't interested in the Civic either.

I found the passenger seat back uncomfortable in the Fit, but the driver's seat felt fine. Don't know how often (if ever) I'd ride in the car anyway, so I guess it's not an issue.

Now just need to find the best deal and value for our worthless trade. We've buying a 5-speed, so the dealers seem to have limited inventory.

Sheila