• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can you freeze bananas?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We're enjoying fruit smoothies this summer. I was thinking I'd buy strawberries and other fruits in bags frozen, and then just toss them in the blender with the yogurt when I make the smoothie.

Would it be possible to freeze some chunks of bananas, too? It would be really convenient to just peel some, cut them in chunks, and put them in a ziplock freezer bag.

Has anyone done this before?

judyjht

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister used to do it and make banana bread - I would make sure to cut them in chunks and make sure they won't clump together and you should be OK.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
You sure can. You can even freeze them whole, or in the quantities you need for the smoothies.

topcop400

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
I used to give my kids frozen bananas for a snack.

Lots of concession stands sell frozen bananas dipped in chocolate.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have peeled them, wrapped them in plastic wrap and frozen them. I do this when they are getting too ripe and then save them for banana bread. YUM!

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have pointed out, it's easy to freeze bananas.

We often use frozen bananas along with frozen strawberries to make smoothies.

BSQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
absolutely. I peel em, cut them into manageable chunks for my blender and freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet (lined with wax paper). Once relatively frozen I stik them in ziplocs. This prevents getting banana blocks when you only need a few slices. We do the same thing with just about any fruit.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of concession stands sell frozen bananas dipped in chocolate.
Yum! I love those treats! I have bought them in the grocery store frozen section, too. I sometimes freeze overripe bananas as others have stated. They are great in smoothies. Frozen fruit thickens the liquid and gives it a milkshake consistency. I like to blend bananas with chocolate protein powder and a little peanut butter.

IreneLF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've just started to do this - wanted the smoothies as cold as possible and frozen bananas do help, also found the consistency is thicker, so an added bonus.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure you can...I remember getting a frozen banana that was dipped in chocolate as a kid....yumm yumm....

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure you can...I remember getting a frozen banana that was dipped in chocolate as a kid....yumm yumm....

Sounds good. However, that would likely break my old geezer teeth.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Freeze, Yes. Thaw, No.

Sure, bananas will freeze. No problem

After they're frozen, however, whatever you do, make sure they don't ever thaw out.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. However, that would likely break my old geezer teeth.

:p You could cut them into slices, dip in chocolate, then slightly thaw...

I wouldn't want you to miss out on such a delightful little snack....

Also, try frozen grapes....

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Problem with the smoothie today

I just tried my first smoothie using the frozen bananas and assorted frozen berries. I also put in a container of yogurt and a few ice cubes (I added the ice cubes as a way to try to thin it all down--didn't work!).

People said frozen bananas would be thicker, but what I ended up with was more like gelato than a smoothie. Also, the blender didn't seem to handle it well. It would whirl and whirl but not draw down through the center like it usually does. I had to use a spoon to try to break up the stuff so it would blend.

Where did I go wrong? It tastes good, but it's not what I was expecting in consistency.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ya forgot to put in the liquid I think. Let me go look at my notes...
  • 1 Cup of Yogurt (plain, vanilla or flavored)
  • 3/4 yogurt cup of water
  • 1 yogurt cup of frozen fruit
  • Splenda
If I am doing iced coffee or mocha, I use:
  • 1 envelope hot cocoa mix
  • 1 TBSP Dark Coffee Crystals (Espresso, Mexican Coffee, etc.)
  • 1/4 cup Nonfat dry Milk Powder
  • 1/2 Cup Water
  • 1 Cup crushed ice
  • 2-3 Splenda packets or equivalent sugar
Either of these will work, and will make one serving.

Here's a link to an About.com page that will give you general hints on how to make good smoothies. It only has a few recipes, but it has good info.

Fern

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just tried my first smoothie using the frozen bananas and assorted frozen berries. I also put in a container of yogurt and a few ice cubes (I added the ice cubes as a way to try to thin it all down--didn't work!).

People said frozen bananas would be thicker, but what I ended up with was more like gelato than a smoothie. Also, the blender didn't seem to handle it well. It would whirl and whirl but not draw down through the center like it usually does. I had to use a spoon to try to break up the stuff so it would blend.

Where did I go wrong? It tastes good, but it's not what I was expecting in consistency.

You can always add more liquid if you want a more pourable consistency. I find that cutting the bananas up (even when they are not frozen) helps them blend better.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I tried it again and added some water and that made a big difference. I also put in the yogurt first with some of the cut up bananas and blended that. Then I slowly added the frozen berries and then added some water as I saw the consistency. It worked great! Yummy.:)

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Now that you know about how much water, put it in first and your blender will work easier. You could also use fruit juice, etc.

Enjoy!

Fern

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
How are these made?:)

The peeled bananas are placed on a stick, popsicle style, then frozen. The frozen bananas are dipped in a melted chocolate which immediately hardens. Think of the chocolate-dipped ice cream cones you can get at Dairy Queen. I've seen the chocolate mix in grocery stores, generally sold near the bananas.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Try This Stuff.

The frozen bananas are dipped in a melted chocolate which immediately hardens.
41dVve5a-uL.jpg

-- hotlinked --

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that rolling them in chopped nuts before the chocolate hardens is really tasty.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't Be Wimps! Go All out!

This a treat I've made quite a few times per friend and family requests. Takes a bit of time though... not crazy, just not fast.

Cut ripe bananas into slices ("wheels")

Stick toothpick in center. Freeze on wax paper covered cookie sheet while doing next step.

Take caramel squares (aka Kraft), unwrap, and squish flat and thin with fingers. Do as many as have banana wheels... or rather, do 2 for each wheel.

Take bananas out of freezer. Wrap caramel around bananas, using 2 if needed (most often need 2). Squish caramel around toothpick a bit to secure. Caramel DOES NOT really stick to the banana; it's sticking to itself and the toothpick, more like it envelopes the banana.

Re-freeze while doing next step.

Melt chocolate (chips, bars, block, whatever you have handy) in deep-ish narrow container (like a juice glass) in microwave until melted. Thin with shortening or cream if needed. Fine chop some nuts if desired.

Dip frozen banana-caramel wheels into chocolate. Toss chopped nuts over wheels. Freeze. Can baggie these after an hour or so for snacking later on. Yeah, right, later on, as if :banana: I won't even mention the whipped cream that gets dolloped along side a few of the wheels, placed on a small plate, for company dessert :clap: