• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is this on ebay??? stay at any starwood property

califgal

Reaction score
That sure is a wacky ad! So wacky that I just had to send a question asking what they meant by unlimited time ( or however it was worded) and also questioned $500 for additional weeks. I'll keep you posted.

dr.debs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes that is an odd ad. The seller's website is even stranger. I won't post the link but it is linked at the bottom of her ebay ad. See above...

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes that is an odd ad. The seller's website is even stranger. I won't post the link but it is linked at the bottom of her ebay ad. See above...

I actually asked her questions on this unit out of curiosity. Her first response didn't make sense to me, so I emailed her a second time. What it seems like is that she owns developer units, and is selling a sort of long-term lease on them. (She refers to it as "splitting the ownership".) She was very clear that it is not deeded to the buyer, but a "vacation club membership". All vacation reservations would have to be made through her. The paperwork/money is not handled through escrow.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If this deal is in perpetuity, she can't be making a profit. $5K will pay the MF for 2.5 years...and the $500 per reservation fee isn't enough to make up the difference in cost after the first 2 years.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually asked her questions on this unit out of curiosity. Her first response didn't make sense to me, so I emailed her a second time. What it seems like is that she owns developer units, and is selling a sort of long-term lease on them. (She refers to it as "splitting the ownership".) She was very clear that it is not deeded to the buyer, but a "vacation club membership". All vacation reservations would have to be made through her. The paperwork/money is not handled through escrow.

If this deal is in perpetuity, she can't be making a profit. $5K will pay the MF for 2.5 years...and the $500 per reservation fee isn't enough to make up the difference in cost after the first 2 years.
If this is in fact some sort of vacation club that the seller has set up herself, it seems very risky to buy! What is to keep her from just running off with your $5000 purchase price?

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't eBay wonderful! You have to wonder how many people will get taken on this one before the LLC simply dissolves!

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hijacked Account

Folks, if you look at the seller's history, and the current items for sale, I believe that this is clearly a case of a hijacked account. If this were real, the seller would lose $ on every use.

I have reported it.

Last edited:

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Folks, if you look at the seller's history, and the current items for sale, I believe that this is clearly a case of a hijacked account. If this were real, the seller would lose $ on every use.

I have reported it.

I didn't realize this could happen on ebay. Scary...

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although it is listed in timeshares for sale, it reads like a rental. $5K for the first week and $500 for each additional week? It is weird.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize this could happen on ebay. Scary...

It happens more often than you would like to think. If people would only respond to eBay emails received through eBay and never provide info. outside of eBay it wouldn't happen as often. This is a completely different listing to one reported here on Tug a few months back but there are similarities to how the thief lists - expensive jewellry, real estate, timeshare all at one time all on an account that never sells such things. Remember, it's not good enough just to look at the rating of a seller but also look at their history, a sudden change should set off warning bells.

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
It happens more often than you would like to think. If people would only respond to eBay emails received through eBay and never provide info. outside of eBay it wouldn't happen as often. This is a completely different listing to one reported here on Tug a few months back but there are similarities to how the thief lists - expensive jewellry, real estate, timeshare all at one time all on an account that never sells such things. Remember, it's not good enough just to look at the rating of a seller but also look at their history, a sudden change should set off warning bells.

I usually pay for purchases through paypal on ebay. Recently I purchased a marriot TS from a seller with a stellar history in TS sales, but he did not accept credit cards, only cashiers check or wired money. I decided to pay with MC through paypal and eat the $230 (3% fee) in order to have a little more security. Ebay and paypal only offer purchase security up to $2000, and this sale was not secured through ebay. I am not sure that what I did offered me anymore real protection. Purchasing with a Credit card allows for Charge backs and at least gives more flexibility if shady dealings start. (at least this is my rationale-not sure if it is really effective as I have never had to charge back with any ebay purchases yet).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Not sure what they are trying to sell, but if they are setting up their own 'vacation club' service it is against the terms in the SVO VOI purchase contract.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure what they are trying to sell, but if they are setting up their own 'vacation club' service it is against the terms in the SVO VOI purchase contract.

They are not trying to sell anything - I am quite sure that this is a hijacked account where they are only trying to steal your money. The real owner of the acct. typically buys and sells items of nominal value - suddenly there is 3 very expensive items for sale, a tell tale sign of a highjacked account.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When I emailed her she responded that she was renting her timeshare "bonus time." How come I don't get any bonus time with my Starwood ownership??? :rolleyes:

califgal

Reaction score
I emailed her also. I just asked short questions and here's the answers I got:

"I was told you can let anyone you want use the extra weeks as long as they book through you."

Also something about booking extra weeks for $500.00

Without going into a Starwood tutorial, I told her she had incorrect info in the ad. Sounds like a big scam to me!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WHERE can you get extra weeks for $500???? :rolleyes:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
More info. from the seller:

Me: How do you get time at a discounted rate? I'm an owner and I'd love to know!

ebay seller:
Its just what they offered me! They told me that after my annual week, I can book at any resort for $200-$600 per week at any of the resorts. They also told me that anyone can use my weeks as long as they book it through me, so thats why Im selling my extra weeks! Obviously a whole time share of this magnitude would be much more than $5000!!

Me:
Who offered you this? Is it in your contract? How many reservations have you made for $200 - $600 a week so far?

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still say this is a hijacked account so asking the seller any questions is pointless as they are being answered by the scammer. Seller has a history of buying and selling items of a nominal value - figurines, household items, etc. Now the seller has listed jewellry for $5k, timeshare for $10k and land for
$30k. When an eBay account is hijacked, the scammer will get your emails and answer them while the actual owner of the account has no idea about what is occurring.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
eBay hasn't removed the ad, and the sad thing is that it is receiving bids - someone is going to get #$%#%@!