• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Acoustic Neuroma

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any personal experience with this? It's a benign brain tumor. First evidence of this is hearing loss on one side (instead of general hearing loss in both ears). Also some loss of balance. MRI is used to determine if this is the problem. Would like to hear treatment experience(s) of others.

Reaction score
I have a friend who was diagnosed with this back in I believe 1987 or 1988. He had the tumor removed, and had to have regular checkups for quite a while, but not anymore. He's active, healthy and doing just great. He does not hear out of one ear, but it doesn't seem to slow him down at all.

Best of luck to you.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Teresa,
I worked many years in neurology at Mass General Hospital. We had a very high success rate with acoustic neuroma patients.

I see that you are in Ohio and have the great Cleveland Clinic. Also, you are in traveling distance to the Mayo. If surgery is indicated (and it almost always is), go to the hospital with the highest success rate and of course, the ones you can afford or your insurance will cover.

Please feel free to PM me and I will give you my home phone number if you'd like to talk.

You will get through this.

Beags (N.P.)

Last edited:

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
My BIL had one and had it surgically removed. It was very scary at the time, but he has recovered totally (with the exception of his hearing in one ear). Most significant side effect: a new appreciation of life and family!

noson7982

TUG Member
Reaction score
ANA Acoustic Neuroma Associations

My wife had an Acoustic Neuroma removed in 1981. She recovered nicely with only a few annoyances. She was one the first members of ANA a wonderful support group.

http://www.anausa.org/

It was a scary time but all worked out well. Now the with the advances in surgery the results have been even more successful.

Bob

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Teresa,

I second the Acoustic Neuroma Association recommended by Bob - very good group.

Hearing in the involved ear is often partially compromised because of the tumor and subsequently lost as a result of the surgery. However, there are some professional groups that try to preserve hearing if possible. Intra-operative monitoring of the auditory nerve is done with Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR) equipment. The outcome can be partial rather than complete hearing loss in the involved ear.

The Auditory Nerve travels through the internal auditory canal (IAC) on its way to the auditory cortex portion of the brain. Where the nerve exits the IAC is known as the cerebello-pontine angle (CPA). It is in this area that the tumor usually starts - it may of may not grow into the IAC. The Auditory Nerve (aka the 8th Cranial Nerve) actually has 2 branches - the Auditory Branch and the Vestibular Branch (which innervates the vestibular system to control your sense of balance) - they are in close proximity as they course through the IAC and CPA. The outer covering of the nerve fibers are schwan cells and are the cells affected by the tumor. Sometimes just the vestibular
branch is involved and the tumor is also known as a Vestibular Schwannoma,
sometimes just the auditory branch is involved and sometimes both. The vestibular branch involvement can lead to some disequilibrium and disruption of balance.

Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland - their ENT/Audiology Clinics are great resources.

The House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles pioneered Acoustic Neuroma Surgery and Treatment - http://www.houseearclinic.com/
They are also a great resource.

Good Luck,
Richard