• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Don't use your cell phone when driving in California

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Just got an email from AAA about a New California Cell Phone Law

On July 1st, a new California law prohibits using handheld wireless phones while driving. Motorists aged 18 and over may use a hands-free device to talk on the phone.

So residents and visitors in California should be aware.

RichM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes - and this is a primary violation meaning you can be pulled over JUST for talking on a handheld phone. Also, push-to-talk phones are not considered hands-free.

And, be aware: the $20 fine for 1st offense and $50 for infractions beyond the first seems low, but with penalty assessments, the total fines are actually at least $70 for the first offense and at least $175 for subsequent offenses.

Also, drivers under 18 may not use a cellphone, HANDSFREE OR OTHERWISE, at all while driving.

Some FAQ's:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/cellularphonelaws/

and

http://www.aaa-calif.com/corpinfo/07-12-27-new2008laws.aspx?zip=92870

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Thank goodness at least one state has taken action. I realize drivers do other things that distract them while driving but cell phone usage is the most frequent distraction I see on a daily basis. I only live 7.5 miles from work but will pass around half a dozen drivers every day talking on their cell phones while driving. Many inadvertantly slow down to well under the speed limit causing traffic to back up or drivers to have to go around them creating hazards for everyone else on the road. By contrast I usually see only 1 or 2 people in a month that are eating in the car, putting on makeup or driving without using their hands. It's not the cell phones are that much more dangerous as it's that they are used much more frequently.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In our small town we had two people killed in car accidents within six months while on the cell phone. Both were also driving in bad weather at the time.
Everyone needs to realize answering or making a call can wait until you are stopped in a safe place.

Art4th

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been the law in NY for several years but it is mostly ignored. You see people driving with the phone up to their ear all the time...even the police. I admit I am guilty of it too.

CapriciousC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a headset for my cell phone at Target for under $15. It just plugs into the headphone jack on the phone. I generally try not to take calls while I'm on the road, but with the headset at least my hands are completely free.

My hubby's car has a Bluetooth setup so he can use the phone through the car stereo - it's pretty neat because I can hear my daughter talking from her carseat in the back.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
No problem

From what I've seen, the only people that think cell phones are not a problem are the people casusing the problem and using them as they drive. I have a cell phone and have never used it and won't while driving.
Bart

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
From what I've seen, the only people that think cell phones are not a problem are the people casusing the problem and using them as they drive. I have a cell phone and have never used it and won't while driving.
Bart

The funny thing is, it's not a problem for them, it's a problem for everyone else on the road. They're oblivious to what's to what's going on around them when they're on the darn phone.

One of these days I'm going to get a huge sign for my wife to hold when we get around one of these yahoo's that's either swerving in their lane, going considerably slower than traffic around them or sitting through a stop light (or stop sign) when they should be moving that say's in big letters IT'S A CAR NOT A PHONE BOOTH!

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bart

I agree with you 100%. It makes one wonder how people ever survived before there were cell phones. I never make nor take calls while driving.

eoneguru

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been the law in NY for several years but it is mostly ignored. You see people driving with the phone up to their ear all the time...even the police. I admit I am guilty of it too.

Very true. I have also noticed that the law is mostly ignored. At times, the police have announced that they are going to crack down on offenders, but I haven't noticed any difference. If I get a call, while driving, I pull over before answering. If there is not a place to pull over, I'll wait until there is a chance to do so and then check the missed call log. As bad as driving while talking is, much worse is the practice that some young people engage in; "texting" while driving. I have heard of, at least, one fatal accident involving "texting" while driving. But, don't get me started on the value of "texting" under any circumstances. :annoyed:

Ray

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Another law that is ignored here very often is the one about driving through a school buses red flashing lights. Although, if they do decide to stop you it is a pretty hefty fine. From CDH: The law requires you to remain stopped as long as the red lights are flashing (VC §22454). If you fail to stop, you may be fined up to $1000 and your driving privilege could be suspended for one year.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Another law that is ignored here very often is the one about driving through a school buses red flashing lights. Although, if they do decide to stop you it is a pretty hefty fine. From CDH: The law requires you to remain stopped as long as the red lights are flashing (VC §22454). If you fail to stop, you may be fined up to $1000 and your driving privilege could be suspended for one year.
Here in Colorado, if the bus driver catches the license # of a vehicle running the flashing red lights, they can report that to the police and they will get a citation -- a police officer does not need to witness the offense.

Kurt

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
School zones and School Bus flashing lights are two things Nevada takes very seriously. If the school zone flashing lightsd say 15 mph and it is normally a 45 mph zone, ignoring it and continuing at 45 mph will get you a $650. ticket. Bad as people drive here, I never see them ignore school zones.

The rule with flashing lights on bus zones may be different in Nevada than California, I'm not sure. In Nevada, if the bus is on a divided street or highway, only those vehicles on the same side as the bus must stop behind it, not those on the other side.

There is an area by where KarenG lives that has a half dozenschool bus drop offs or pick ups a day. It is at a signal, and in a very busy area. The bus stops "far side" of the signal so the kids don't cross at all. I sometimes find myself waiting for the signal with one of the buses. The last time this happened, he waited to cross till most of the autos had gone, and then crossed slowly so the ones behind him could change lanes and pass him before he stopped. He's my hero! What a great sense of what's going on around you. Its a busy street, and he helped the raffic flow immensely with his thoughtfulness.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Just got an email from AAA about a New California Cell Phone Law

On July 1st, a new California law prohibits using handheld wireless phones while driving. Motorists aged 18 and over may use a hands-free device to talk on the phone.

So residents and visitors in California should be aware.
Washington States very similar law will also start July 1

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You know, in my opinion, law or no law, people shouldn't be on their cell phones when driving.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Recently I was nearly rear-ended at a red light by a young lady who was text messaging. I could see her in my rear view mirror clearly. She locked up her brakes, skidded to a stop inches from my bumper, and immediately went back to text messaging. She drove with one hand and held the phone in the other, even while skidding to a stop. :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
You also can not mount your GPS system on your windshield in Calif.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up in case you are driving in Mexico, it is also a law here, no cell phones while driving.....and you do not want to have to dispute this in another country, in another language...etc.etc..

missmarie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I happened to read the CHP description of the new cell phone law in California.
I am probably pretty dense, but I did not see any mention of text messaging, which is a huge problem here. I think people could hold the phone in their lap and text away! I live here and I have to say the drivers in the OC are the absolute rudest individuals I have ever encountered. I can say this , since I was born here :bawl:

deemac

Reaction score
driving while using cell phones

Has a study been done re: why folk MUST talk while driving?

In other words:
-- Are they lonely while in the car?
-- Are they afraid to miss a call? (don't cell phones have voice mail?)
-- Does it make them feel important (all calls to them are high priority at the moment)? (Only They are capable to take care of everything -- even small problems?)
-- Do they have a death wish? :rolleyes:

For years, I have always wondered why folk MUST talk on cellphones while driving? In the old days, I used to think it was a perceived status thing -- they wanted folk to see that they could afford a cellphone.

Nowadays, I just don't know/understand why they do it.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Has a study been done re: why folk MUST talk while driving?
I think it comes down to people who think they are more important than they really are. They would rather endanger those around them than miss one precious call.

What really irks me is when I am talking face-to-face with someone, and they interrupt our conversation to answer their cell phone. I consider that extremely rude. :mad: Call me old school, but I think talking face-to-face should take precedence over a cell phone any day. Let the call go to voicemail, and then return it later for goodness sake!

Kurt

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem here is that many people live in "bedroom communities" and work in a town or city that has a commute of 30 min. or more. Although, we may see that start to change with the increase of gas prices. During that drive many people are coordinating their family schedule, doing business calls, taking care of a lot of life's demands that if you didn't have to spend so much time on the road you would be doing from your own home/office. With this society that demands instant results I know my DH would loose a lot of business if he was not readily available by cell phone. When customers have a problem or a need they want it addressed NOW and if you can't they will find someone else who will. I hope that those (not TUGers but people in general) who complain about usage and driving pause for a moment and think about how they would react if they needed a service, called a company, instead of receiving an instant reply was told that they would have to wait for a reply until the service man was available leaving you hanging. Would you wait or would you move on? Having said this I am in total agreeance that those under 18 should not be on any device at all, hands free or other wise, since there time on the phone is mostly used for social time. I think more parents should invest in those phones that only call a small amount of programed numbers. I bet if they could only call mom or dad the phone wouldn't be used as much and save a lot of cell phones bills to boot.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
With this society that demands instant results I know my DH would loose a lot of business if he was not readily available by cell phone. When customers have a problem or a need they want it addressed NOW and if you can't they will find someone else who will.
One of my biggest complaints is about service people or others who WON'T use their cell phone to let you know why they aren't where they are supposed to be at a certain time. I don't advocate that they drive in a reckless manner, but since most people have cell phones I don't understand why they can't give you a call and say they are delayed because of traffic or whatever.

It's quite annoying to wait around all day for someone who was supposed to be at your house at 10 a.m. and then they show up at 4:30 p.m. with no explanation.