• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Quantitative Analytics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
Wyndham website sucks! No downloads as I could get from my bank or CC companies!
But, I did it the hard way and created an excel to analyze my Wyndham usage. Here is a look at the big picture! I plan to analyze this in greater detail! If anyone else is doing similar stuff, I would appreciate your sharing your insight! I wish I could get at the data directly!;)

upload_2019-12-4_22-19-56.png

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
Wyndham data that I obtained the hard way fails the basic INTEGRITY test!

SUM(CONTRACT POINTS AWARDED) - SUM(RESERVATION POINTS) = SUM(AVAILABLE POINTS)

Who the hell is minding the store at Wyndham! Their hair should be on fire if they cared!:confused:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Wyndham data that I obtained the hard way fails the basic INTEGRITY test!

SUM(CONTRACT POINTS AWARDED) - SUM(RESERVATION POINTS) = SUM(AVAILABLE POINTS)

Who the hell is minding the store at Wyndham! Their hair should be on fire if they cared!:confused:

Does this mean that your family saved 2.8 million Wyndham pts or $17k? It usually takes about 10 years to break even with VIPP telesales ($66k at $134/1k plus 2 PIC) accounting for VIP savings.

I think it’d take 18 years for you or your family to break even, before you start saving. Would have been 12 years had you bought telesales.

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have to gather all the numbers in one place. Then I will really have a handle on all this. I will post on this thread as and when I improve and fine-tune my analytics. Thank you for your interest.

I think such an analysis can be beneficial. You should try it too. Unfortunately, without the ability to download transactions from Wyndham, it's a bit tedious. But it can be done. I can list the steps I took to do this, if anyone is interested.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham website sucks! No downloads as I could get from my bank or CC companies!
But, I did it the hard way and created an excel to analyze my Wyndham usage. Here is a look at the big picture! I plan to analyze this in greater detail! If anyone else is doing similar stuff, I would appreciate your sharing your insight! I wish I could get at the data directly!;)

View attachment 15307
Now what do you do with this? You booked all in the the 60 days window so doubled your points. When I go to points on the site it tells me in the top right I have 1,250,000 points for 2019. I own 790,000. So about half the time I received the discount and or upgrade or both. That tells me how effective I was and still have gone where and when I wanted. Below that is your history. Every transaction that affected your points.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have to gather all the numbers in one place. Then I will really have a handle on all this. I will post on this thread as and when I improve and fine-tune my analytics. Thank you for your interest.

I think such an analysis can be beneficial. You should try it too. Unfortunately, without the ability to download transactions from Wyndham, it's a bit tedious. But it can be done. I can list the steps I took to do this, if anyone is interested.

For 1 million Wyndham VIPP points, you get another 1 million Wyndham pts as 50 percent discount. Of about 10 trips a year, you would probably get 5 free upgrades. With upgrades worth 40k pts, that means the 5 free upgrades are worth 200k points a year. VIPP pretty much get 1.2 million Wyndham pts for free per year or $7.2k year benefits.

The upfront cost for VIPP would be $66k with telesales. It would take 9 years to break even, but it’s straight savings from there.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's a better analytic showing number of reservations, discounts, upgrades, and points by year and user!

upload_2019-12-5_11-24-59.png

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now what do you do with this? You booked all in the the 60 days window so doubled your points. When I go to points on the site it tells me in the top right I have 1,250,000 points for 2019. I own 790,000. So about half the time I received the discount and or upgrade or both. That tells me how effective I was and still have gone where and when I wanted. Below that is your history. Every transaction that affected your points.

Please check to see if points awarded you minus reservation points equal what is shown as your available balance. I would love to know if you too come up with any discrepancy!

In the point history, filter only contract transactions yo come up with points awards. Then filter only reservation-related transactions to come up with point usage. The difference should match your available balance.

Data is beautiful! You get a much better picture that's dispassionate and without emotions and presumptions! ;)

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please check to see if points awarded you minus reservation points equal what is shown as your available balance. I would love to know if you too come up with any discrepancy!

In the point history, filter only contract transactions yo come up with points awards. Then filter only reservation-related transactions to come up with point usage. The difference should match your available balance.

Data is beautiful! You get a much better picture that's dispassionate and without emotions and presumptions! ;)
Not yet and never will.as a VIP PLATIUM, it never will. I do know that but do know my effective date per 1,000 was $3.08. I also know that every time I make a reservation the totals ad up right. What other than account transactions matter?

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It has nothing to do with VIP or discounts. Just like a bank account, Balance must equal the sum of all transactions from inception, which is from the initial balance of zero.
When it doesn't, that means there was a computing error sometime in the past resulting in what is called an anomalous update which makes the balance go out of sync from the sum of all transactions!

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with VIP or discounts. Just like a bank account, Balance must equal the sum of all transactions from inception, which is from the initial balance of zero.
When it doesn't, that means there was a computing error sometime in the past resulting in what is called an anomalous update which makes the balance go out of sync from the sum of all transactions!
Starting with a balance of zero means you have no bank account. Why would you not start with your current balance of the use year? I don't understand zero balance accounting.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry, nothing should go out of whack in a DOUBLE ENTRY accounting system!
In your example, 35000 points are all that matters to the accounting system, YOUR WYNDHAM ACCOUNT will be debited 35000 points.
63000 RCI points do not impact your Wyndham account! It just affects your mental state! You feel good! That's all!;)

Your RCI account is separate, you will get a CREDIT of 63000 RCI points.

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starting with a balance of zero means you have no bank account. Why would you not start with your current balance of the use year? I don't understand zero balance accounting.

If every transaction correctly updates your account balance, the balance is always perfect and sync in with the transactions. So you don't have to go back to zero from 10 years ago but you can trust the yearend balance from the prior year. This is a basic concept in accounting or bookkeeping!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's a better analytic showing number of reservations, discounts, upgrades, and points by year and user!

View attachment 15311
You seriously travel 14-19 times a year? I guess you are either retired or semi-retired.

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My wife works as a paraprofessional at the county school for special needs children. So, we have to pack all the travel in summer months or spring /winter breaks. 19 reservations but mostly 2-3 days in each place.
It's work using up Wyndham points, not really vacation!;)
Making up for having very few vacations in the last 40 years!;)

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
For 2020, Wyndham was showing total points for the year as 812,000 points in excess of what I own. What happened was there were eight transactions in February 2019 against 2020 points that netted to 0. (I made, then canceled, four reservations at Ocean Walk for March 2020.) However, Wyndham ignored the negative transactions. They returned 812,000 points to my 2020 account but didn't subtract the points from the account when I made the reservations. DOH!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For 2020, Wyndham was showing total points for the year as 812,000 points in excess of what I own. What happened was there were eight transactions in February 2019 against 2020 points that netted to 0. (I made, then canceled, four reservations at Ocean Walk for March 2020.) However, Wyndham ignored the negative transactions. They returned 812,000 points to my 2020 account but didn't subtract the points from the account when I made the reservations. DOH!
Maybe you shouldn't post about this publicly? Wyndham known to read TUG.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This is exactly what I am talking about! Some bug or a back-door violation by the 'ticket' troubleshooters! An anomalous update! Will never pass muster in a banking or money environment.
I would assume a lot of anomalies are due to residual bugs from the conversion to a new system.

But I haven't fully understood your scenario. If they netted to 0, reservation and res-cancel transactions must cancel each other correctly. Are you saying reservation transactions did not subtract from available balance but res-cancel transaction added to the balance? Hard to believe.
This is a 2020 reservation using 2020 points. SO, not a borrowed point scenario, right? I see an option to purchase points! I wonder if the system could screw by mixing them up! Hmmm!
You may want to check other years like 2021 to see if they screwed them up too!

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe you shouldn't post about this publicly? Wyndham known to read TUG.

If they have to read this TUG to find out something so basic a principle related to an accounting system, they have real problems with their IT!
IT folks should have integrity check routines to check such basic stuff! And when they discover a bug, it's going to be fixed. Question is what happens if you use up the points? A programmer can't drive your account negative on his own! Owner care will have to get involved!

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have made 2019 reservations borrowing points from 2020. I have also made 2020 reservations using 2020 points. So far, I have not noticed any anomalies.
Discrepancy related to my account, is a 'ticket' deal with GOODWILL point adjustments to reimburse the difference between gold reservations I had made and the platinum discount I was eligible for when I transitioned from Gold to Platinum.
Another time, I had to request the owner care to take the points from 2017-2018 bonus contract instead of 2018-2018 annual contract. It's dumb that they arbitrarily pick the use year. I made the case to Owner Care that I want to use up Bonus points before Regular points because Bonus points can't be deposited into a future year. So, they moved points from Bonus to regular contract.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, remember what is shown on the web page may not be the true numbers in the back end systems, It could such be a frontend system! I would love to find out how their systems are structured! They probably have a hodge-podge of legacy systems dealing with their disjointed departments! Par for the course for many large firms and especially the hospitality business!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, remember what is shown on the web page may not be the true numbers in the back end systems, It could such be a frontend system! I would love to find out how their systems are structured! They probably have a hodge-podge of legacy systems dealing with their disjointed departments! Par for the course for many large firms and especially the hospitality business!
If you spend all the time making spreadsheets and analyzing systems or systems engineering, you should seriously think about renting more of your Wyndham TS points. With VIP discounts, have you been making at least some profit or merely breaking even?

If you are at least making some profit, you may want to spend about 10 hours/week running a TS rental business. This is especially the case now that you bought an additional 400k pts, which is effectively 800k pts with Wyndham VIPP discounts.

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's the idea! Need good analysis and a good business plan before I acquire any more points!
Between my son's business use of Canterbury and Midtown45 and 4 other rentals (5 guest reservations, unfortunately), I should have more than covered 2019 MF!

Status
Not open for further replies.