• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Lifetime Platinum is worthless (sort of) - DUH moment

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
It did not occur to me that Marriott Lifetime Platinum is really the same as the former Lifetime Gold, although I should know that.

I called the Platinum line number and received the greeting of "Welcome to the Titanium Elite Line." The light bulb lit up.

All along I was thinking that technically we could get rid of all of our Marriott timeshare ownership since I have now achieved Lifetime Platinum. We had gotten the last stash just 18 months ago to get us to the old Platinum status. So I guess we should continue to keep our timeshare as long was we want the new Titanium status. DUH!

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure how platinum now works. I am Platinum and my DH is Lifetime Titanium. All I can say is, WOW to our recent trip to Italy. In Florence, at the Sina Medici Villa, we booked on points for a 5 day stay, and we were in a 2 room beautiful living and bedroom, overlooking the gardens. Then is Rome, at the Palazzo Naiadi, they upgraded us to a suite that had 3 patios on the 5'th floor, and about 2,000 Sq. Ft. This was in early October. Could not say more about the included breakfasts and service. So, for us, being Titanium, still continues to be awesome.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
Read this very carefully to those of you who think a 4pm checkout is guaranteed.

4 p.m. Late Checkout
Guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout, subject to availability at resort and convention hotels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Read this very carefully to those of you who think a 4pm checkout is guaranteed.

4 p.m. Late Checkout
Guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout, subject to availability at resort and convention hotels.

Yes, that means it is guaranteed except at resort and convention hotels where it is subject to availability.

Last edited:

uaremymuse

Reaction score
Every Marriott I’ve stayed with always tells me the same thing. Call the front desk on the day of your departure to request a late checkout and I’ve yet to receive a 4pm checkout. If it was guaranteed, I wouldn’t have to ask because it’s guaranteed.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We liked the lounge feature, a nice place to hangout before your room is ready or a place to hangout waiting for a shuttle or a cab to the airport.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sorry for the people having problems, as reaching Titanium especially lifetime, it's a lot of butt in bed. I have been very lucky, and I do love Marriott and all things Marriott. But then again I love my Hilton hotels and IHG hotels too. I have to admit I get upgraded 90% ok the hotels we check into

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every Marriott I’ve stayed with always tells me the same thing. Call the front desk on the day of your departure to request a late checkout and I’ve yet to receive a 4pm checkout. If it was guaranteed, I wouldn’t have to ask because it’s guaranteed.

We did received a 2PM late checkout at the Marriott’s Short Pump Hotel In Richmond,VA this past Sunday. It was great because it has been raining hard all Sunday morning.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Yes, that means it is guaranteed except at resort and convention hotels where it is subject to availability.

Your interpretation is correct. Most times I get it without issue. Sometimes I have to push. Its valid at most-not all brands. I mostly want it for work travel so I can return to the hotel after meetings and change before travel.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score

That's because you are at a resort or convention hotel, or they are trying to deny you at the local level. Marriott publishes a list of resort/convention hotels. If they ain't on it, they have to do it. Its that simple.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
That's because you are at a resort or convention hotel, or they are trying to deny you at the local level. Marriott publishes a list of resort/convention hotels. If they ain't on it, they have to do it. Its that simple.

If only what you said were true.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Lol, opposite of my experience. I've never not gotten it.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Don't underestimate lounge access. We've eaten (and drank) for an entire week for $0 using the lounge access. It can be valuable. And it's nice to get out of the room sometimes too if you are not going out, nice place to relax, whatever. We love the benefit.
We did that at the Budapest Marriott after my wife fell on the way and was laid up with a broken rib and a half. FWIW, the Budapest Marriott lounge is absolutely outstanding...great view, excellent wine, food and service.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you need to reread what I wrote. I’ve never received a 4pm checkout or a suite upgrade.

Maybe reread mine! I used a double negative, i.e., I have always received it. I'm 1 for 1 on suite upgrades too.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why oh why would you carry the card around? Place it in your phone's wallet. It's a waste of resources for Marriott to send any cards out, metal or plastic.

I use phone payments wherever possible, but sadly we are a long ways from everywhere taking them.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
Maybe reread mine! I used a double negative, i.e., I have always received it. I'm 1 for 1 on suite upgrades too.

You’re correct.

I’m not accustomed to speaking with anyone who uses double negatives as we were taught in English classes that it was a grammatically improper and unacceptable way to use the English language.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score

uaremymuse

Reaction score
What I said is true. Marriott does publish that list and if you are being denied, its the property doing it-not the terms and conditions. You are entitled to a 4pm at a non-resort or non-convention hotel.

https://www.marriott.com/convention-resort-network/home.mi

Thank you for the link. There are a number of hotels where I’ve stayed and I was not offered a 4pm checkout. They always say, call the front desk on the day of your departure to inquire if it’s available. If it’s a guarantee, I shouldn’t have to ask.

I’ve also stayed in hotels where I’ve checked inventory on the day of my arrival, and for the duration of my stay, to see if there are suites available that could be offered for the upgrade benefit yet I’m never offered the suite upgrade. Marriott’s benefit program is for the birds. SPG was far better with their client level benefits by far.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Thank you for the link. There are a number of hotels where I’ve stayed and I was not offered a 4pm checkout. They always say, call the front desk on the day of your departure to inquire if it’s available. If it’s a guarantee, I shouldn’t have to ask.
This I disagree with. The late checkout is a guarantee if the guest needs it. That's how I have always understood and expected it. When I do mobile check in on the app, I select the late checkout and its included when I get my keys. I don't think its reasonable to give every elite 4pm even if not needed. It would be a lot of unneeded pressure on housekeeping. HOWEVER, they shouldn't tell you to call day of either. Your response should be that its a guaranteed benefit when requested and you want it. Then see what they say. Some places def try to wiggle out of it.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
This I disagree with. The late checkout is a guarantee if the guest needs it. That's how I have always understood and expected it. When I do mobile check in on the app, I select the late checkout and its included when I get my keys. I don't think its reasonable to give every elite 4pm even if not needed. It would be a lot of unneeded pressure on housekeeping. HOWEVER, they shouldn't tell you to call day of either. Your response should be that its a guaranteed benefit when requested and you want it. Then see what they say. Some places def try to wiggle out of it.

The late checkout benefit has no caveat that says what you’ve said. It says it’s a guarantee, period. And I too check the box on the reservation for a 4pm checkout but I’m never given it. Always have to call the day of departure. Maybe they think that since I’m asking that I don’t know that it’s a guarantee do they screw me.

With respect to your other comment, MB shouldn’t offer guarantees that it can’t guarantee as a benefit. Alternatively, all members who have that guarantee should receive it when they check in and MB can leave it up to the client to let the front desk know that they checked out before 4pm versus the way it clearly isn’t working now.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I 100% on late checkout when requested. Most of time 4PM on a few I have requested a 2pm or 3pm because that is all I needed and I got that. Only places I am not 100% are convention hotels and those I can usually get a 2PM.

And the benefit T&C tell you it "can be requested."
4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design HotelsTM, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and Vistana properties are excluded from this benefit.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
The late checkout benefit has no caveat that says what you’ve said. It says it’s a guarantee, period. And I too check the box on the reservation for a 4pm checkout but I’m never given it. Always have to call the day of departure. Maybe they think that since I’m asking that I don’t know that it’s a guarantee do they screw me.

With respect to your other comment, MB shouldn’t offer guarantees that it can’t guarantee as a benefit. Alternatively, all members who have that guarantee should receive it when they check in and MB can leave it up to the client to let the front desk know that they checked out before 4pm versus the way it clearly isn’t working now.

Actually, it does say the late checkout is a guarantee when requested-per the post above. Sorry you have difficulty accessing it. At this point, we are talking in circles.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
Actually, it does say the late checkout is a guarantee when requested-per the post above. Sorry you have difficulty accessing it. At this point, we are talking in circles.

Yes, I know it says it’s a guarantee but I haven’t received that benefit as a titanium member. It’s wonderful that you have.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I think you mean Gold is worthless! At least you get lounge access with platinum