• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Options other than HGVC?

TDub1313

Reaction score
I own (resale) with HGVC and was thinking about picking up another -resale. As I was looking around, it occurred to me that I may want to explore other options. I very much like HGVC and it what it has to offer. I poked around on some of the other forums and found it was hard to get a grasp on how other systems treated resale owners, and/or systems that are generally well run, etc.
I was wondering if some of you could give some input on other systems that you own and why you like them. Maybe better put, if you had to buy a contract today, but it could not buy HGVC, what would it be and why?
Again, I love HGVC and am not trying to knock it. I am just looking to explore some other options.
Thanks!

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
I own (resale) with HGVC and was thinking about picking up another -resale. As I was looking around, it occurred to me that I may want to explore other options. I very much like HGVC and it what it has to offer. I poked around on some of the other forums and found it was hard to get a grasp on how other systems treated resale owners, and/or systems that are generally well run, etc.
I was wondering if some of you could give some input on other systems that you own and why you like them. Maybe better put, if you had to buy a contract today, but it could not buy HGVC, what would it be and why?
Again, I love HGVC and am not trying to knock it. I am just looking to explore some other options.
Thanks!
I was considering Hyatt, but if you see that marriott now owns them and their maintenance fees are sky rocketing. Nobody can use the puerto rico resort because it's still being repaired from the hurricane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We own a Vistana mandatory deeded unit (Westin Maui). Resales trade in Staroption points similar to HGVC. Great complement location-wise to HGVC (Maui, Kauai, St John, Bahamas, Deserts, Avon, Steamboat...).

Most cost-effective resales for trading are Sheraton Vistana Villages Orlando Bella or Key West sections only. Otherwise buy where you want to stay.

Last edited:

TDub1313

Reaction score
I’ll say that I do prefer the flexibility of a points based system and the driving force behind looking at other systems is different locations. Are there any major limitations to the Vistana system regarding resale purchases?

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
@TDub1313, might be helpful if you tell us which aspects of HGVC you enjoy and which not so much? How long have you owned, how have you used your HGVC (RCI or HGVC only? Which locations?)

I bought small contracts in both HGVC (3500 annual pts) and Worldmark (6000 annual pts) to try both systems out. So far so great (on both!). WM trades in II which can nicely complement your HGVC (trades in RCI) if you are looking for that. Give us some more details and we can help out :)

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Where do you want to travel where HGVC does not have good coverage? Buy into a system that fills in the blanks for you.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Lots of us own in multiple systems/programs instead of being limited to just one :cool:
Each one has their PROS and CONS

Here are some threads where folks shared their thoughts about the different systems/programs
There are also sticky threads at the top of each TUG forum and the TUG Advice Page (link) that will help answer some basic questions on how each system works.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
We own a Vistana mandatory deeded unit (Westin Maui). Resales trade in Staroption points similar to HGVC. Great complement location-wise to HGVC (Maui, Kauai, St John, Bahamas, Deserts, Avon, Steamboat...).

Most cost-effective resales for trading are Sheraton Vistana Villages Orlando Bella or Key West sections only. Otherwise buy where you want to stay.

I own weeks here as well. Similar to HGVC, a deeded week is assigned a point value (known as StarOptions) that can be used when the online reservation windows opens 8 months before checkin. With Vistana, you can reserve up to 21 consecutive days in one reservation.

I prefer point based systems that give me the option/flexibility to:
- checkin any day of the week
- bank and borrow
- book any size unit

Here are some additional threads from HGVC owners on the Vistana forum

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
@TDub1313, might be helpful if you tell us which aspects of HGVC you enjoy and which not so much? How long have you owned, how have you used your HGVC (RCI or HGVC only? Which locations?)

I bought small contracts in both HGVC (3500 annual pts) and Worldmark (6000 annual pts) to try both systems out. So far so great (on both!). WM trades in II which can nicely complement your HGVC (trades in RCI) if you are looking for that. Give us some more details and we can help out :)

I also own 6,000 credits with WorldMark as well. It’s my trader.
I bought it specifically for trading with Interval International(II) back in 2007. I’ve used it for exchanges in both II and RCI.

Here’s an old 2013 thread titled “HGVC + WorldMark owners - questions please” (link)

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I’ll say that I do prefer the flexibility of a points based system and the driving force behind looking at other systems is different locations. Are there any major limitations to the Vistana system regarding resale purchases?

not really other than Elite status. I have a 81000 point SVV Bella that I bought to compliment my HGV. The two programs fit nicely together.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
not really other than Elite status. I have a 81000 point SVV Bella that I bought to compliment my HGV. The two programs fit nicely together.

the only thing you have to be careful with in Vistana is to buy in the Mandatory resorts which do have StarOptions which transfer on resale. “Voluntary” units can’t make use of the system fully unless the are requalified (with a min $10k developer purchase).

for what it is worth I’ve found the Vistana system very easy to use and understand. There are a number of similarities to HGVC in how the booking windows work etc. The points chart is much simpler than HGVC or MVC.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
the only thing you have to be careful with in Vistana is to buy in the Mandatory resorts which do have StarOptions which transfer on resale. “Voluntary” units can’t make use of the system fully unless the are requalified (with a min $10k developer purchase).

for what it is worth I’ve found the Vistana system very easy to use and understand. There are a number of similarities to HGVC in how the booking windows work etc. The points chart is much simpler than HGVC or MVC.

One of the best things is the Gold season rates are much lower than HGV Gold season rates. I got 11 nights in 1BR premiums between Lagunamar and Harborside in 2019 with my 81k points and still had some left over.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
@alwysonvac provided excellent advice as well as stickies. Take your time and choose wisely. We own where we want to stay as well as Traders. We own at an HGVC affiliate only since we sold our MarBrisa. All others are part of MVC family or Independents. It works for us since we travel w/ at least 8 ppl.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I forgot to mention.
Some timeshare systems also offer discounted rental rates at sister resorts.
Both Marriott and Vistana owners get 25% off (link).
WorldMark owners get discount per credit rates (link).

Also keep in mind, whatever you decide to purchase isn’t carved in stone. When it no longer works for you and your family, sell it and move on.

For example, I’m currently thinking about giving up my trader (WorldMark). It has served me well but things have changed during my 10+ years of ownership. During that time, I’ve purchased Vistana which also gives me access to Interval International. II introduced a flexible retrade feature which is very cumbersome to use with WorldMark (link). I’ve also used WorldMark with RCI for Disney and HGVC exchanges but things have changed over the years with trades into DVC and HGVC that make it less desirable. WorldMark is also going through changes as well.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
If you are looking into Hyatt, read the Hyatt stickies. I call it the “Boutique “ TS. Itslocation, location, location.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are looking into Hyatt, read the Hyatt stickies. I call it the “Boutique “ TS. Itslocation, location, location.

Agreed. We have one in Carmel that is fabulous...and very expensive. We've only stayed on marketing promo packages. Well worth the hour...and one time they were oversubscribed and didn't even make us do the presentation. :)

Cheers.

TDub1313

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the replies. I’ve spent a few days going over all the older threads and digesting those. Some of the threads were nearing 5 years old and so much has changed in that time. Although I’ve grown accustomed to the HGVC particulars I am still curious about other options. I love HGVC but they are so Orlando/Vegas/Hawai’i centric. I love those areas but not sure I will in 5 years after having been so often. Was hoping to find a low cost entry into an easy to use system that treats resale buyers relatively well. I looked in to a few that had more varied locations but I found the particulars kind of hard to grasp. As systems merge and new rules take effect regarding resale buyers it becomes more complex. I live very near Chicago and was looking for a system with a decent Midwest (driving) footprint which might help in usage and not be overly in demand - but found nothing overly enticing. I love what HGVC offers in totality and ease of use. As I read about other systems and see the entry points I often think I could just as easily pick up 7k points at Bay Club for very near free. With 14k points I could do just about whatever I wanted with under $3k in MF and nearly $0 up front costs. The two systems that seemed somewhat interesting were HIVC and Bluegreen. Anyone have any words on why these would be a bad ideas to investigate further? I realize these systems aren’t as “luxurious” but wondered if they would be a nice compliment to 7k HGVC points?

I should add that what I love most about HGVC is the ability to point stretch. With 7k points getting us a 1BR gold week (oct) on the BI, 4 studio nights (May) in Orlando and 4 studio nights in San Diego - with maybe even a little left over for a few days in Vegas. This is awesome! When we travel with the kids (5) we are stuck with getting a 2BR which eats all of our yearly points. I’m generally looking to add so we could do both. A large kids vacay and the others I previously mentioned, or some variation thereof.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yes, some of the links are older but they provides a basic understanding of how each system is designed to work. Some links also address frequently asked questions. The high level overviews are just a starting point. Once you find a system that interests you, you have to do a deeper dive in the appropriate TUG forums to get the latest and greatest feature enhancements.