• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescinded. Bullet dodged, still got shot by the timeshare gun.

LC Travel Newbs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the site. Had a great developer presentation in Vegas on Monday. The wife and I really enjoyed the interaction with our rep. We were completely satisfied with the investment at the time of purchase, but thanks to hours of TUGBBS consumption afterward even in the middle of a Vegas stay, we mailed off the rescission this morning. Even knowing about this forum, the bonus points offered in the package were the icing on the spoiled cake and tempted us to keep. The time limits and restrictions for bonus points were what did that in. Between down, MF and financing payments, we would have needed to pay $9600 before getting to use them!

We have done a poor job of traveling and enjoying grand vacations for the first half of our lives. Grown children graduated from colleges debt free and a 6 year old grdaughter have tempted us to expand our travel plans. The timeshare model fit well with our desires, but the reduced rates for last minute short nearby stays really fits us even better. Perks of the HGVC would probably get used more than the actual points.

So now we’ll start the process of buying resale. Still want the Elara purchase that we turned down. Vegas and MF ratios make it attractive to us. Looking to be 7k - 11k in points. I grasp the math between fees and purchase price in a 10 year window.

I ask a bunch of questions so let me start.
1. If buying resale soon after a rescission, does HGVC target rofr on recent “quitters”? Seems petty but was wondering.
2. Is there any difference in the legacy advantage of a resale purchase? Willable or Trustable
3. Is Judi Koz still a contact for resales? Website contact seems off.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
1. If buying resale soon after a rescission, does HGVC target rofr on recent “quitters”? Seems petty but was wondering.
2. Is there any difference in the legacy advantage of a resale purchase? Willable or Trustable

1. None that I know of. The department that deals with ROFR is different than the sales team. Unless things have changed, there aren’t many reported ROFR’s exercised at Elara right now.

2. The only difference between develop bought and resale is the resale points are not able to be used for elite status. They are willable and trustable. They have the same booking windows as developer bought deeds,

3. As far as I know, Judi is still active.

Hope that helps!

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
1. None that I know of. The department that deals with ROFR is different than the sales team. Unless things have changed, there aren’t many reported ROFR’s exercised at Elara right now.

2. The only difference between develop bought and resale is the resale points are not able to be used for elite status. They are willable and trustable. They have the same booking windows as developer bought deeds,

3. As far as I know, Judi is still active.

Hope that helps!

Agree with @dayooper.

My 2 cents.......

Read more Tug posts about what to be careful with when purchasing at the Elara (purchase Hilton side,etc.). These will be EXTREMELY helpful when you go to purchase.

We spent HOURS online just browsing through different Elara ads before we came across a deal we could not pass up.

Make an offer that you are happy with, if it passes ROFR then you are already ahead! When we bought ours (about a year or so ago) the Elara was not ROFR’ing anything. Haven’t heard what they’ve been up to lately. A quick check of ROFR.net will help with that.

We talked to David Patchanian at atimeshare.com. He was very helpful and the one who led us in the right direction when it came to Elara not ROFR’ing.

And by all means, keep asking on Tug! This is a VERY knowledgeable and friendly group of people that are willing to help!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
....The timeshare model fit well with our desires, but the reduced rates for last minute short nearby stays really fits us even better. Perks of the HGVC would probably get used more than the actual points....

Welcome to TUG :)

Just a heads up... the sales folks are known to lie in order to make a sale. I suggest taking some time to learn the true facts about the HGVC system and timesharing in general before you buy.

For example, the photo below was recently shared from someone who was misled at a HGVC sales presentation back in September.

Regarding the Yellow highlighted sections in the photo below
Every year, HGVC publishes their OPEN SEASON Rates which are subject to change. These are last minute cash rental rates for HGV timeshare resorts only (not Hilton hotels & resorts) and the cash rates vary by location.
Here’s a link to the 2019 Open Season Rates for each HGVC timeshare resort - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?attachments/2019-hgv-points-open-chart-pdf.9813/

RCI Cash Getaway weeks are normally the leftovers (the lowest demand weeks). You generally won’t find a top resort or a high demand week under Last Call. For example, you will not find ski resorts during ski season or beach resorts during the summer. You can find last call in overbuilt timeshare areas such as Orlando and Las Vegas.

See link for the full response to the September thread - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/rescind-or-not.287154/#post-2257374)

upload_2019-11-29_23-40-12.jpeg

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Congratulations on dodging the TS bullet. You have come to the correct place and you are asking the right questions. I would also suggest that you take your time before jumping in. There isn’t a rush because resales aren’t going away.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thanks for the info on the site. ...

We have done a poor job of traveling and enjoying grand vacations for the first half of our lives. Grown children graduated from colleges debt free and a 6 year old grdaughter have tempted us to expand our travel plans. The timeshare model fit well with our desires, but the reduced rates for last minute short nearby stays really fits us even better. Perks of the HGVC would probably get used more than the actual points.

“ grown children ...6 year old granddaughter ..... expand our travel plans .....

THESE are absolutely the right reasons , and combining them so that you can have family vacations
in a larger more comfortable space - will enhance your vacation enjoyment .

We were in Puerto Vallarta last week - our 31 yr old son joined us from Mon- Thurs / then he flew to Japan for the rest of his vacation .

In Feb we have the 2 weeks booked - and are hoping he and his brother join us for part of that time .
If Tues or Weds has cheap airfares / last minute - then that is when they will likely come , & we may see 1 or both of them for 5 or 6 of our 14 days .

Keep reading TUG , ask some more questions & then go for it .

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Perks of the HGVC would probably get used more than the actual points.
I caution you against buying for anything other than using the points to stay in a Hilton timeshare. The value is generally not there and you are almost always better off paying cash for the other things than trading your points. Which "perks" are you hoping to use? We could probably find more economical ways for you to get what you will actually use.
No. They don't care about that at all. In fact, after buying resale, they will still try to get you to the "owner updates" which are timeshare sales presentations every time that you stay anywhere on your "used" points.

3. Is Judi Koz still a contact for resales? Website contact seems off
I believe she is still active, but I know she had some issues a while back. She is a member of this website. You can also look at resales on the Tug Marketplace. Most of the Hilton resales are brokers and they will likely have more inventory than what they are advertising here.

LC Travel Newbs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes.
I caution you against buying for anything other than using the points to stay in a Hilton timeshare. The value is generally not there and you are almost always better off paying cash for the other things than trading your points. Which "perks" are you hoping to use? We could probably find more economical ways for you to get what you will actually use.

Here I was referencing paying cash for stays at what seemed like reduced rates. Open season and Last call were what I remember hearing them called. More investigation for sure to be done.

Agree with @dayooper.

We talked to David Patchanian at atimeshare.com. He was very helpful and the one who led us in the right direction when it came to Elara not ROFR’ing.

And by all means, keep asking on Tug! This is a VERY knowledgeable and friendly group of people that are willing to help!

thank you for the recommendation!

Just a heads up... the sales folks are known to lie in order to make a sale. I suggest taking some time to learn the true facts about the HGVC system and timesharing in general before you buy.

we felt fortunate to have the salesperson we did. I was eavesdropping on other conversations. Consuming info as much as possible. I feel fortunate for the reduced cost of education at this point.

THESE are absolutely the right reasons , and combining them so that you can have family vacations
in a larger more comfortable space - will enhance your vacation enjoyment .

We were in Puerto Vallarta last week - our 31 yr old son joined us from Mon- Thurs / then he flew to Japan for the rest of his vacation .

In Feb we have the 2 weeks booked - and are hoping he and his brother join us for part of that time .
If Tues or Weds has cheap airfares / last minute - then that is when they will likely come , & we may see 1 or both of them for 5 or 6 of our 14 days.

These are exactly the experiences that has my wife all fired up now. ”If you rescind this...you better promise me we’ll still buy another one soon!” She has July off of work every summer so while I might steal a week or so with her as well, I imagine her and the granddaughter will be the biggest point consumers.

Thanks again for the greetings. We’ll stay diligent on the search and education.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Congrats on rescinding. There are plenty of resales so take your time and research what best fits your needs. There is a new buyer sticky on the "New to Timeshares forum" copy, paste and answer the questions and we can help you.

Also recommend that you work with a broker or a Redweek verified deal and not buy Ebay because you are new and a broker will ensure you don't get scammed (Ebay works but you have to know the scammers from the legit sellers and is more complicated.)

There are several brokers recommended by Tuggers. Some specialize in locales. Join Redweek.com and look at sales by brokers and verified deals completed by a broker. You can low bid to get what you want. If you buy in Vegas the rule of thumb is $1 a point for a fair deal. Sometimes you can do better than that if you are patient.

HGVC:
Diane Nadeau
Seth Nock
Judi Koz

Locations:
Carl Thoms (Tahoe/MVC but also does HGVC resales)
Syed Sarmad (Hawaii)
The Timeshare King (Florida/East Coast)

Tropicgirl13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin, Maui (for 6 days),
Congrats on rescinding. There are plenty of resales so take your time and research what best fits your needs. There is a new buyer sticky on the "New to Timeshares forum" copy, paste and answer the questions and we can help you.

Also recommend that you work with a broker or a Redweek verified deal and not buy Ebay because you are new and a broker will ensure you don't get scammed (Ebay works but you have to know the scammers from the legit sellers and is more complicated.)

There are several brokers recommended by Tuggers. Some specialize in locales. Join Redweek.com and look at sales by brokers and verified deals completed by a broker. You can low bid to get what you want. If you buy in Vegas the rule of thumb is $1 a point for a fair deal. Sometimes you can do better than that if you are patient.

HGVC:
Diane Nadeau
Seth Nock
Judi Koz

Locations:
Carl Thoms (Tahoe/MVC but also does HGVC resales)
Syed Sarmad (Hawaii)
The Timeshare King (Florida/East Coast)
A bit late to the conversation. Are the names you mentioned reputable brokers? If so, do you find them on here? Is this their user names. I am quite new to my resale research. Thank you.

Eggrollcreative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Elara, Worldmark, Seagull Beach Club, Vacation Internationale
Thanks for the info on the site. Had a great developer presentation in Vegas on Monday. The wife and I really enjoyed the interaction with our rep. We were completely satisfied with the investment at the time of purchase, but thanks to hours of TUGBBS consumption afterward even in the middle of a Vegas stay, we mailed off the rescission this morning. Even knowing about this forum, the bonus points offered in the package were the icing on the spoiled cake and tempted us to keep. The time limits and restrictions for bonus points were what did that in. Between down, MF and financing payments, we would have needed to pay $9600 before getting to use them!

So now we’ll start the process of buying resale. Still want the Elara purchase that we turned down. Vegas and MF ratios make it attractive to us. Looking to be 7k - 11k in points. I grasp the math between fees and purchase price in a 10 year window.

Congratulations! I was not so lucky. We just upgraded to Max for $20k. We have 8000 Elara points already. And they gave us 30,000 bonus points. They did not tell us we have to pay off the Max purchase to use those points so clock has been ticking for 6 weeks now and just found out. He had the nerve to blame us that he was sure he told us. Whatever. Been a rough month for me with travel companies. Anyhow I was going to use the elara home week and rent it out for the superbowl next year (Feb 11 in Vegas!) but turns out we already used 300 points of 2024 so we can’t do that! I know I can’t rent it now but it’s going to be tough to use up 38,000 points in a year and a half. The bozo told me we could extend bonus points six months that turned out to be another lie. So frustrating. Well anyhow if you get your elara the gold season is a good value gives you Thanksgiving and other second most preferred dates. We also love that property so convenient to the strip. Also different units have different floors so better or worse views pay attention to that. We also have Worldmark, vacation Internationale and a little place my cousin gave me called Seagull Beach Club in Cocoa Beach. And a month of cruise credit to use up. We are going to be gone more than we are home. I plan to get the TUG membership today. Does anyone know the best place I could rent my home on the hood canal short term? VRBO scares me after my son tried it. Got a lot of out of control parties.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
A bit late to the conversation. Are the names you mentioned reputable brokers? If so, do you find them on here? Is this their user names. I am quite new to my resale research. Thank you.
Very old conversation. But sellingtimeshares.net is reputable, Seth Nock is the broker, and of course advantagevacation.com is also reputable (Syed Sarmad).