• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can I shorten a VSN reservation?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I intend to book a full week using StarOptions but we may need less than a week, we did not buy the flights yet. After booking (but not right away), can I call Vistana and ask them to shorten the reservation to 5 or 6 days? By that time it will most likely be sold out and I will not be able to cancel the 7 day reservation and re-book online.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
I intend to book a full week using StarOptions but we may need less than a week, we did not buy the flights yet. After booking (but not right away), can I call Vistana and ask them to shorten the reservation to 5 or 6 days? By that time it will most likely be sold out and I will not be able to cancel the 7 day reservation and re-book online.
You should be able to do that if you CALL. Not online. It may take them a few days to complete the change.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you gain if you shorten the reservation? If not much, why not just keep the week but either show up late or leave early? If you are going to show up late, you need to keep Resort informed. Whenever I did the show up late thing I would always call a couple of days before I was scheduled to check in and again in the afternoon of the check in day. Never had a problem with them giving away my reservation. Leaving early is easy...

George

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you gain if you shorten the reservation? If not much, why not just keep the week but either show up late or leave early? If you are going to show up late, you need to keep Resort informed. Whenever I did the show up late thing I would always call a couple of days before I was scheduled to check in and again in the afternoon of the check in day. Never had a problem with them giving away my reservation. Leaving early is easy...

George

He would get some star options back. Which could be used for a future stay this year, banked for next year, or converted to resort credit to spend at the resort.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have wondered the same. Also wonder if you can shorten a VSN stay within the 60 day penalty window? Do you have to pay the $50 penalty to make the change? Inside of seven days does the $75 penalty apply?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

George
our 7 day reservation would start Friday and, but depending on the flights, we may actually check in Sunday for a 5 day stay. Because they are weekend days, the 2 days at the beginning are more expensive so I would lose 32,400 SO.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the we already have an exchange booked for a 2 bdr at Westin Nanea. The SO reservation would be at the beginning of the trip. Notwithstanding the flights and not related to my OP, would you book in VSN:

- 7 nights at Nanea in a 1 bdr resort view 81,000 SO (so that we do not have to change resorts, just the rooms) or
- 6 nights at WKOR or WKORN in a 1 bdr OF for the nicer view?

I am leaning towards the OF.

Last edited:

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the we already have an exchange booked for a 2 bdr at Westin Nanea. The SO reservation would be at the beginning of the trip. Notwithstanding the flights and not related to my OP, would you book in VSN:

- 7 nights at Nanea in a 1 bdr resort view 81,000 SO (so that we do not have to change resorts, just the rooms) or
- 6 nights at WKOR or WKORN in a 1 bdr OF for the nicer view?

I am leaning towards the OF.
I, too, would go for the 1-BR OF. I would try to get it at WKORV, rather than at WKORVN, if possible. Good luck! CJ

Grandma2016

Reaction score
You can decrease your stay but you must do it by phone. I was told I would lose my time stamp but not view type. Ironically I needed to switch from 7 nights to 5. The day before my 60 night window a 5 night OF came available. I of course grabbed it.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I, too, would go for the 1-BR OF. I would try to get it at WKORV, rather than at WKORVN, if possible. Good luck! CJ
Thank you. Why is WKORV OF better than WKORVN OF?

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Definitely try to do OF and not Nanea RV. Personally I’m not a fan of Nanea.
North’s OF are more varied in what kind of view you’ll actually get. South is a safer bet when it comes to OF. On the other hand if you went with island view, North would be a good gamble not South. It’s all about the design of the buildings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blondietink

Reaction score
From my understanding of the 1 bedroom Nanea, they are all parking lot/driveway views. People have complained of the incessant beeping of the resort shuttles backing up all day and night. I also saw a picture posted of people looking out at a dumpster from a one bedroom..

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
From my understanding of the 1 bedroom Nanea, they are all parking lot/driveway views. People have complained of the incessant beeping of the resort shuttles backing up all day and night. I also saw a picture posted of people looking out at a dumpster from a one bedroom..

No not ALL 1BR are parking lot views are as they are generally tucked into the inside corners of the buildings facing the resort. There are many 2BR with parking lot/driveway views, maybe about 25% or Resort View classified villas. The shuttle beeping does not discriminate, it impacts whatever size/view/floor is withing earshot of the turning point at the East corner of building 2.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
Back to the original question. I called to shorten a home resort reservation. It can only be shortened by rebooking the entire reservation. Mine is for next March, and there is nothing else available. I will just leave a day early.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Back to the original question. I called to shorten a home resort reservation. It can only be shortened by rebooking the entire reservation. Mine is for next March, and there is nothing else available. I will just leave a day early.

That's not exactly the original question. The original question pertained to a VSN reservation (StarOptions reservation) not a Home Resort reservation. You can't shorten a Home Resort reservation because all Home Resort reservations (with exception of Nanea and Flex products) are seven-day reservations. Essentially you were wanting the best of both worlds, making a reservation in the 12-8 month time period but wanting the flexibility afforded a reservation in the 8-0 month time period.