• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGV poor Q2 financials and buyout rumors resurface

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thinking that this may be OK to post per @GT75's comments in the locked thread about waiting for "financials or news." it seems that a poor Q2 was reported last week. These are not the financials, but a link about them as relates to renewed buyout discussion.

https://www.redweek.com/blog/2019/11/hgv-potential-buyout-rumors

Certainly feel free to close if still too soon.

Cheers.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Seems like this is a summary of what’s going on. It’s good to post as it gives people a nice synopsis of the issues.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not understand HGV reports are the Hilton timeshare resorts reports separate from their hotel operations ?

The Hilton hotels in the Tidewater Virginia and Richmond, Virginia are always busy.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I do not understand HGV reports[.] [A]re the Hilton timeshare resorts reports separate from their hotel operations?

Dude... Hilton Worldwide (f/k/a Hilton Hotels) spun off HGV (Timeshares) in 2017.
Hilton Worldwide did not retain an interest in HGV (except for licensing agreements).
The two have been separate and independent companies ever since.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Whomever wrote the Redweek article in the OP also doesn't seem to have a very good understanding of the various mergers in the branded hotel and timeshare businesses. They seem to be confused and are conflating the hotel merger with the timeshare merger. In the article they say:

"As a comparison, think about when Marriott bought Starwood. That buyout brought many more choices for owners. But, with more people making reservations, it also made it harder to book popular vacation locations."

In fact, the acquisition of Starwood by Marriott International had little to no impact on timeshare owners. That was the hotel merger and didn't impact timeshare owners. Even the acquisition of ILG by Marriott Vacations Worldwide has not yet added choices for owners or made it harder to book popular locations as the quote above states. The article is just flat wrong.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whether we are talking hotels or TimeShares isn't there the possibility that post acquisition more people vying for the same Week may make it more difficult to reserve it. Am I off base here...

George

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whomever wrote the Redweek article in the OP also doesn't seem to have a very good understanding of the various mergers in the branded hotel and timeshare businesses. They seem to be confused and are conflating the hotel merger with the timeshare merger. In the article they say:

"As a comparison, think about when Marriott bought Starwood. That buyout brought many more choices for owners. But, with more people making reservations, it also made it harder to book popular vacation locations."

In fact, the acquisition of Starwood by Marriott International had little to no impact on timeshare owners. That was the hotel merger and didn't impact timeshare owners. Even the acquisition of ILG by Marriott Vacations Worldwide has not yet added choices for owners or made it harder to book popular locations as the quote above states. The article is just flat wrong.

Really good point. Seems like a poor article all around, and kinda sorry that I linked it and started this thread :(

Cheers.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Whether we are talking hotels or TimeShares isn't there the possibility that post acquisition more people vying for the same Week may make it more difficult to reserve it. Am I off base here...

George

With hotels, you don't have owners vying/competing for a "week". Hotels are open rentals, so demand is not influenced by owners of any particular brand. It is influenced by the supply versus demand for any given night amongst all of the hotels in a given destination and/or of a specific property. The merger of Marriott hotels and Starwood hotels would not, just by itself, change the supply/demand balance for hotel rooms/nights for a given location. No hotel customer is guaranteed a night at any given location. All reservations are open to any and all.

In the case of timeshares, they are closed systems, and there is an owner for every week that is guaranteed a reservation. So mergers can, by definition, impact the supply/demand equation within such a closed system if the merger adds low demand owners competing for limited high demand locations. But in the case of the Marriott acquisition of ILG (the timeshare merger) there has as of yet been no true merger of the different systems, so there has been no impact on supply/demand. Once Marriott introduces their integrated product form that they have discussed in their investor presentations, then the supply/demand equation could be impacted, but that has yet to happen. The article incorrectly implies that the Marriott/Starwood merger somehow impacted timeshare options and availability. That is simply not the case.

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Thinking that this may be OK to post per @GT75's comments in the locked thread about waiting for "financials or news." it seems that a poor Q2 was reported last week. These are not the financials, but a link about them as relates to renewed buyout discussion.
Certainly feel free to close if still too soon.

It is always certainly OK to post appropriate information about TS as it relates to HGV. I am sorry, if somehow I conveyed something differently/or stifled the conversation by closing the previous thread. That certainly wasn't my intent anyways. I was actually expecting new announcements when HGV reported Q3 financials. I thought that it would be nice to start a fresh thread because the previous one had gone down many different "rabbit trails". I am very surprised that this is the first story written.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I believe most of us here in the HGVC forum just want to here the news that either no one has purchased HGVC or that Blackstone has reacquired HGVC so that we can go on with reserving units for next year without the undo stress that the reservation system or numbers of people accessing the reservation system has changed significantly!

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct. I'm in the market for adding more points, but I'm not in a rush. I'm looking around, but this whole merger subject has me hesitating.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I believe most of us here in the HGVC forum just want to here the news that either no one has purchased HGVC or that Blackstone has reacquired HGVC so that we can go on with reserving units for next year without the undo stress that the reservation system or numbers of people accessing the reservation system has changed significantly!

No need to stress over the impact any merger might have on next year's reservation. Any deal would take 3-6 months at a minimum to consummate from a legal and regulatory standpoint, and only then could work even begin to operationally merge the systems (if system merger was the chosen strategy by the acquirer). Any kind of operational consolidation would likely be measured in years. Marriott Vacations Worldwide announced the acquisition of ILG in April 2018. The merger wasn't completed until September 2018 and, based on the last investor presentation, the first phase of a common exchange system won't be in place before the second half of 2020. A true consolidated program will be even longer.

So you can likely make your 2020 reservations and probably your 2021 reservations with no stress over any merger impacts.