• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI points will expire 12-31, worth $109 to extend?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure how this happened. But it hurts to just lose 20,000 points.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If you think you will use them, then I'd say it's worth the money to extend.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I’m the devils advocate I suppose.

Why do you need to pay to extend in the first place? You paid money through MF(s) to receive those weeks/points. They are yours.

It’s like you buying a gift card with cash and then being told after a period of time, they reserve the right to scoop up what you rightfully paid for if not used within a period of time or charge fees to hold your rightful asset which costs NOTHING to store. It’s simply a number on a database. BTW, where I live, that is now illegal. Once you paid for it and received it in form of currency, you have it for life fee free.

A total scam IMO and another example of TS Exchange greed.

That’s another reason why I dumped my timeshares.

Ok, I feel better now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you find yourself point-stretching, or trying to find ways to use points? If the former, go ahead and extend them. If the latter, may as well just let them expire. $110 is close to what they are worth, so it's close to a wash.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Are these 2017 points? Have you used your 2018 points - what about 2019?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m the devils advocate I suppose.

Why do you need to pay to extend in the first place? You paid money through MF(s) to receive those weeks/points. They are yours.

It’s like you buying a gift card with cash and then being told after a period of time, they reserve the right to scoop up what you rightfully paid for if not used within a period of time or charge fees to hold your rightful asset which costs NOTHING to store. It’s simply a number on a database. BTW, where I live, that is now illegal. Once you paid for it and received it in form of currency, you have it for life fee free.

A total scam IMO and another example of TS Exchange greed.

That’s another reason why I dumped my timeshares.

Ok, I feel better now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree with you 100% but many are going to play the timeshare game and they have to play by the rules. I strongly suggest if you are playing the timeshare game use every benefit or loophole available in the system and make it work to your advantage.

johnnythatsmyboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you think you will use them, then I'd say it's worth the money to extend.
I think it depends on if you will use them. We just used 7500 points for a week one bedroom at HIVC Cape Canaveral; the old Ron Jon's timeshare. To us it was worth it even with the exchange fee. I see 20,000 points as almost 3 weeks of vacation. Of course I check almost every day for 10,000 points or less availability :)

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
How much MF did the 20k points cost? Is the $109 more than the points are worth? At some of the resorts that would be more than the points cost in the first place....

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I think it depends on if you will use them. We just used 7500 points for a week one bedroom at HIVC Cape Canaveral; the old Ron Jon's timeshare. To us it was worth it even with the exchange fee. I see 20,000 points as almost 3 weeks of vacation. Of course I check almost every day for 10,000 points or less availability :)

I agree to a certain extent, but the ones that go for 7500 points are typically RCI native points rather than Wyndham RCI points. In either case, the ones that are on sale that low might be obtainable as extra vacations for close to the same price as an exchange fee.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure how this happened. But it hurts to just lose 20,000 points.
If they are Wyndham RCI points then the 20,000 points IMHO are not worth the $109 extend fee let alone adding in a $239 reservation fee.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert

If the OP is talking about Wyndham points in RCI, then this advice doesn't apply because the currency is completely different. (If the OP wasn't talking about Wyndham points, then this entire thread should be moved to the correct forum.)

I would only pay to extend if I had a specific plan for using the points in RCI, since the cost to extend is pretty close to what the points are worth.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
These are my Wyndham points that were deposited into RCI for an exchange.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If they are wyndham points and you don't have any immediate plans to use them in 2020 then let them expire. They are not worth the cost to extend unless you would be short 20,000 for something you specifically want.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
You would be better off finding someone that can use them this year and give them away. It costs $0 to transfer to anothers Wyndham RCI account. All it takes is a phone call. Problem is depending on who answer's the phone you may be told you cant transfer them or it costs to transfer them. I can tell you it is quick and easy with a $0 cost if a competent person answer's the phone when you call to transfer points.

Last edited: