• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chicago Bears QBs - Is there something in the Lake Michigan water?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What is it with the Chicago Bears and their lackluster (at best) ability to draft or sign QBs? With a franchise as storied as the Bears, the list of best QBs starts with Sid Luckman (certainly worthy), but then drops to McMahon, Blanda, and Cutler.

Chicago gets it's drinking water from Lake Michigan. Could there possibly be something that accumulates in that stagnant south end of the lake during the summer, and then wreaks quarterback havoc in the fall and winter, decimating the QB evaluation capabilities of otherwise capable GMs, head coaches, and offensive coordinators? Or perhaps there's some encephalopathic worm that transits the water treatment plant, survives disinfection, enters the ear canal during showering, migrates from there to the brain, and then, Alzheimer's like, drapes plaque across the neurons that are needed to read defenses, call audibles, do play-action fakes, avoid the rush, check down receivers, deliver passes on target, and manage the game clock?

Think about it - Stanford, the Northwestern University of the West Coast - has an illustrious history of producing top-flight QBs. But Northwestern University itself? - nary a one.

The water supply at Stanford comes from the City of San Francisco Hetch Hetchy system, which is snowmelt from Yosemite National Park, renowned for it's inherent purity. Northwestern University - that's Chicago municipal water from Lake Michigan. Chicago, the city, that in desperation, reversed the flow of the Chicago River to flow to the west, away from the lake, to minimize the amount stockyard and city wastewater getting into the city water supply.

Could this all be coincidence? Has anybody done statistically significant postmortem comparative autopsies of Chicago Bears QBs and non-Chicago Bears QBs? You be the judge.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It has to be something associated with the south end of Lake Michigan. Because further north on Lake Michigan is Green Bay - where you've got Bart Starr, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Curly Lambeau, and Lynn Dickey.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Interesting question. Da Bears DNA has always focused on a great defense. Until they hired their current head coach their main focus has been defense. They do need to figure out the QB situation to at least be adequate. I am a 49ers and Packers fan, so personally I hope the Bears never figure it out.

Best regards.

Mike

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Da Bears always tend to focus on DF instead of QBs. Similarly to my Steelers. I wish our franchises would focus on OF instead of just DF. You must change some,gasp, as the game progresses.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The Steelers have Bradshaw, Roethlisberger, and Layne, which puts the Bears to shame. Pittsburgh gets it's drinking water from the Allegheny River, which has it's issues but isn't like some stagnant lake. Compare that with the Browns (Lake Erie water source), where you've got Otto Graham, then it drops off quickly to Kosar and Sipe.

I tell ya - it's the H-Two-Oh.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Maybe its the St Pattys Day Parade and dyed green river combined with the just under the Fed reg amounts of lead in that water. I kind of wonder why any city would purposely use so much dye in their water for St Patty's.

Bill

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Try living in Michigan. We have the Lions. The most sad sack and ridiculed franchise in all of pro sports. We are the Rutgers of pro football. 1 playoff win since ‘57 (1991). Just one bad decision after another. I’ll take your poor QB play for your team history.

Reactions: RX8

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its pretty much the same water that the Chicago Cubs have been drinking (except for 2016 when Theo Epstein put them on a regimen of bottled water).

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its pretty much the same water that the Chicago Cubs have been drinking (except for 2016 when Theo Epstein put them on a regimen of bottled water).
Yes the city has a long history of losing

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That’s because they are one of the oldest teams in the league. Many other modern teams didn’t start until decades later.
Yes - highest winning percentage is the Cowboys.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Yes - highest winning percentage is the Cowboys.
And look at those Cowboys. I have a feeling that until Jones passes, they ain’t winning The SuperBowl.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The H2O must have changed after Chicago fired that winning football coach that carried them two divisions championships, that is now coaching a college team at the University of Illinois.

Lovie Smith had the second best winning record in Chicago in the last twenty years only behind Mike Ditka.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The H2O must have changed after Chicago fired that winning football coach that carried them two divisions championships, that is now coaching a college team at the University of Illinois.

Lovie Smith had the second best winning record in Chicago in the last twenty years only behind Mike Ditka.
But the question I posed isn't about winning record - it's about quarterbacking. The Bears are a team that has won despite middling (or worse) QBs. Kudos to them, as compared to teams that can't find a way to consistently win, even with good QBs.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But the question I posed isn't about winning record - it's about quarterbacking. The Bears are a team that has won despite middling (or worse) QBs. Kudos to them, as compared to teams that can't find a way to consistently win, even with good QBs.

Thank you.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Chicago Bears have not had a good cocky QB since Jim McMahon and with that bad defense player “William The Fridge Perry” playing defense, running back and offense tight end. IMHO.

McMahon was the last Chicago Bears QB to win the Super a Bowl in the last fifty years.

However, J. Cutler was probably the very best overall QB in Chicago Bears history. IMO... His only downfall, he did not win a Super Bowl Championship.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Chicago Bears have not had a good cocky QB since Jim McMahon and with that bad defense player “William The Fridge Perry” playing defense, running back and offense tight end. IMHO.

McMahon was the last Chicago Bears QB to win the Super a Bowl in the last fifty years.

However, J. Cutler was probably the very best overall QB in Chicago Bears history. IMO... His only downfall, he did not win a Super Bowl Championship.

Mike Singletary was the heart and soul of that ‘84 Bears defense. Buddy Ryan’s 46 Defense needed a great MLB and Singletary was it. They wouldn’t have been nearly as good with him. His intensity and preparation made him one of the best players of his era (80’s All Decade Team). As a native Michigander, I am trained to hate Chicago pro teams. I always admired those Mid 80’s Bears teams.

On a side note, I thought Jay Cutler was a waste of talent. His attitude got in the way of his play.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mike Singletary I must agree 100% was the heart and soul of the 1984 Chicago Bears defense and Buddy Ryan brought it all together IMHO.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Early in the season 1984, a restaurant was trying to drum up business. They had dave duerson,who might have been a rookie that year, come out to meet people. I bet there were less than twenty people there. He sat and talked to us for a couple of hours. Many of the teachers had season tickets, but we never got to go to a game, so it was really fun to meet him. We had no idea that the season would be so spectacular, as all Chicagoans are used to being disappointed. I knew Gary Fencik because he was a student at barrington high school when I taught there. We never expected him to have such a great football career.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who is Dave Duerson, curious I am not from the Chicago area?

rapmarks, please do not reply. I just Google this individual football career.

What a very sad ending to a very good football player. IMHO. Just a sad story. IMO.

Last edited: