• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Resort Take Backs and Receivables

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I was listening in on a HOA call today for our Smuggs resort. They mentioned that the take back program helped their receivables tremendously.

I was stupid and didn't ask, but I am not understanding why. In order to qualify for their program you have to have no outstanding loan or maintenance fees.

So if they take back your week and you are paid up anyway, how does this help receivables?

I am thinking that once our resort takes back an ownership it goes into the Wyndham pool, but not sure. Our resort is a mix of deeded fixed/float week owners, RCI points, Wyndham Smuggs deeded weeks owners with Wyndham points and Wyndham points owners.

Ok- I am not the sharpest tool in the shed....I am missing something here...

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
if they didn't have the take back program, those people wouldn't pay their MF

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston

I would agree with this. The need to have their MF up to date in order to qualify for the deed back will likely decrease the amount of outstanding debt. If there was no deed back, those individuals would likely continue in arrears as they try to rid themselves of the unwanted property.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Technically it would reduce their bad debt expense and allowance for bad debts which is netted against the receivables.

Also, if they take back the unit and hold it in their own inventory then it isn't a receivable (although someone - perhaps other owners - would most likely have to still pay a higher MF as the expenses for the resort are spread across fewer units).

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

But how did it bring down the receivables in the present time? In other words- before the program there were some collection issues. If people that DO pay their fees leave, now they need to replace those good paying owners.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would agree with this. The need to have their MF up to date in order to qualify for the deed back will likely decrease the amount of outstanding debt. If there was no deed back, those individuals would likely continue in arrears as they try to rid themselves of the unwanted property.

So ok. I was thinking this also. That maybe people in arrears decided to pay what they owed and then get out.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They probably give the weeks to Wyndham to sell. Is smuggs part of Access for wyndham?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
They probably give the weeks to Wyndham to sell. Is smuggs part of Access for wyndham?

I believe they do go to Wyndham inventory. I don’t know what “ Access” is.

But still- units they take back are all in good standing. They are not collection problems.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Access is their blended-contract program. You don't buy at a particular resort, but rather an undivided interest in a big pool of points backed by whatever weeks Wyndham can string together to back them. They switched to this model from UDI at an individual resort several years ago.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Access is their blended-contract program. You don't buy at a particular resort, but rather an undivided interest in a big pool of points backed by whatever weeks Wyndham can string together to back them. They switched to this model from UDI at an individual resort several years ago.

why does this matter in terms of receivables?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the "Take Back" program require a cash payment in addition to the Week's MF being up to date. If not, they should...

My "they should" comment is referring to Independent HOAs not the big boys (Marriott, Wyndham, HGVC, Hyatt, etc. They have alternatives the Independents don't have...

George

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Does the "Take Back" program require a cash payment in addition to the Week's MF being up to date. If not, they should...

George

No it does not.Why do you say it should?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
But how did it bring down the receivables in the present time? In other words- before the program there were some collection issues. If people that DO pay their fees leave, now they need to replace those good paying owners.
you're overthinking it

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham
I'm sure it looks better on the "books" as it is property THEY now own and can resell. It is sort of like "cash in the bank". Wyndham can now sell it for 150-256 per thousand.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LOL! Story of my life with everything! I just like to know how things work is all.
example unpaid annial MF $200,000. so year 2 it will be $400,000, yr 3 $600,000. yr 4 institute buyback it stays at $600,000 instead of adding more.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
example unpaid annial MF $200,000. so year 2 it will be $400,000, yr 3 $600,000. yr 4 institute buyback it stays at $600,000 instead of adding more.

I still don't get it. Guess I am stupid. The ownerships they take back are all people in good standing.

Anyway- I do understand how mcsteve explained it. That must be it.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I still don't get it. Guess I am stupid. The ownerships they take back are all people in good standing.
lol but people who would default of no buyback

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
lol but people who would default of no buyback

That might be true for some people. But I know many who would not who are giving theirs back. They are just making a rationale decision and planning for their futures.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Anyway- I do understand how Steve explained it. That must be it.
say its October 2019 and you lose your job. you say ok I cant pay MF in January 2020. if instead there is a buyback program, you give it back they resell it and MF get paid for 2020 by the new people. everyone is happy.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
why does this matter in terms of receivables?
One possible reason: you don't need a shiny new resort to sell to a new customer. The oldest resort in the system can still contribute "new" inventory to be sold to new customers, because they are buying a portion of the blended whole, not that specific resort. The resort doesn't even need to be in active sales; the deed you take back at resort A and folded into Access can be resold at resort B. So, something that was (or shortly will be) an un-performing week can easily be recycled.