• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2 RCI reservations with same location/startdate

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two reservation with RCI. I see this message on my confirmation email. I will be travelling with my friends, and I don't see why I have to get a GC. Does anyone know that RCI will cancel the reservation?

*Guest Certificate required if member is not traveling, and for multiple and consecutive reservations starting from the second confirmation, with different names on each reservation. *Reservations are checked by ID and name. Reservations with the same name will be cancelled.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have two reservation with RCI. I see this message on my confirmation email. I will be travelling with my friends, and I don't see why I have to get a GC. Does anyone know that RCI will cancel the reservation?

*Guest Certificate required if member is not traveling, and for multiple and consecutive reservations starting from the second confirmation, with different names on each reservation. *Reservations are checked by ID and name. Reservations with the same name will be cancelled.
Where are you staying? Wyndham and Vidanta resorts usually require reservations to be in different names or they will cancel or not allow you to check in. I think most others don't care and will let you check into multiple resorts. Even if you are traveling to Wyndham or Vidanta if you have more than one name on your rci account and you are both travelling you can put each reservation in a different name and it won't cost you a guest certificate.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are you staying? Wyndham and Vidanta resorts usually require reservations to be in different names or they will cancel or not allow you to check in. I think most others don't care and will let you check into multiple resorts. Even if you are traveling to Wyndham or Vidanta if you have more than one name on your rci account and you are both travelling you can put each reservation in a different name and it won't cost you a guest certificate.

it's RM Grand Mayan. My RCI account is through HGVC which lists both of our names in both the reservation.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check with the resort. Some are picky (e.g. Wyndham) while others aren’t. Plus, if you have two or more owners on the RCI account, and both are going, you can list different owners as lead guest on each room.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We

We have 2 reservations for the Island of Hawaii in December at the Bay Club in our name. One is an HGVC reservation for a 2 BR starting on the 14th. The other is an RCI reservation for a 1 BR starting on the 15th. We will be checking in and staying in the 2 BR for the first night with 4 friends. On the 15th we will be checking in and staying in the 1 BR for the remainder of the time. We don't have guest certificates for either since we will be checking in ourselves. Is there a problem here?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Is there a problem here?

I have had multiple rooms many times at the same HGVC resort and never had a problem. Honestly, I wouldn't have even thought there ever would be a problem if the owner is checking into all rooms.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion Only: Put one reservation in your name and the second one in your spouse name.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion Only: Put one reservation in your name and the second one in your spouse name.

I called HGVC/RCI, they said NO, since both of our names are included in the ownership.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called HGVC/RCI, they said NO, since both of our names are included in the ownership.

What did RCI say about your original question regarding your confirmation email?

This is typically an RCI thing, not an HGV thing, so the rules that apply for Hilton (ie, you're using club points to stay at HGV vs. using HGV points to stay via an RCI exchange).

To further complicate things, certain resorts have different rules (via RCI/II).
I don't believe Vidanta controls whether a guest certificate is used or not. I've booked several rooms via SFX at Vidanta with all the rooms being in one name (mine). Granted, this was after the 1 in x rules that Vidanta had enforced.

So I'd say this is all on RCI at this point to explain why there appears to be contradictory information in the confirmation email.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
What did RCI say about your original question regarding your confirmation email?

This is typically an RCI thing, not an HGV thing, so the rules that apply for Hilton (ie, you're using club points to stay at HGV vs. using HGV points to stay via an RCI exchange).

To further complicate things, certain resorts have different rules (via RCI/II).
I don't believe Vidanta controls whether a guest certificate is used or not. I've booked several rooms via SFX at Vidanta with all the rooms being in one name (mine). Granted, this was after the 1 in x rules that Vidanta had enforced.

So I'd say this is all on RCI at this point to explain why there appears to be contradictory information in the confirmation email.

They read the rules which was in the email and suggested to get a GC and not to risk losing the reservation. Also they said this is not an RCI policy, as this policy was set by that resort. I have to call the resort after 10 days because it is a new reservation and it takes about 10 days for the resort to see it.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I absolutely for an RCI exchange would recommend calling the resort.

It is only me on my HGVC account, and HGVC customer service said I would not have any problem getting two units at Ocean 22 without a GC along as I was there.

So for the places like Wyndham that are picky, if you piece together two lock offs to have a larger unit, do they still make you get a GC? My DW is on my separate RCI Points account, so I don’t think I would have a problem with that.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They read the rules which was in the email and suggested to get a GC and not to risk losing the reservation. Also they said this is not an RCI policy, as this policy was set by that resort. I have to call the resort after 10 days because it is a new reservation and it takes about 10 days for the resort to see it.
I think that if you and your husband walk up to check in and insist that you will be staying in separate units, I think they will let you each check in. As I mentioned Vidanta is one of the few resorts that actually seem to have a problem with multiple units in the same name without a guest certificate. If on the other hand you walk up and say, yes my husband and I are staying in one unit and our guests in the other and we were just trying to avoid the guest certificate fee it may prolong your check in and they may make you pay then and there. Vidanta puts rules in to make exchanging in more difficult. They want new meat and they want their owners to have access to exchange companies but they hate the idea that people can exchange in for less than it costs to be an owner there so they throw up whatever they can for II and RCI exchangers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I think that if you and your husband walk up to check in and insist that you will be staying in separate units, I think they will let you each check in. As I mentioned Vidanta is one of the few resorts that actually seem to have a problem with multiple units in the same name without a guest certificate. If on the other hand you walk up and say, yes my husband and I are staying in one unit and our guests in the other and we were just trying to avoid the guest certificate fee it may prolong your check in and they may make you pay then and there. Vidanta puts rules in to make exchanging in more difficult. They want new meat and they want their owners to have access to exchange companies but they hate the idea that people can exchange in for less than it costs to be an owner there so they throw up whatever they can for II and RCI exchangers.

Well I am glad that I don't own and I am not staying at a Vidanta Resort. From what you are saying a husband and wife have to portray that they are swingers and have come to the resort with other couples but the husbands and wives are not necessarily staying in the same accommodations. Don't say you can say that the women are staying together and the men are staying together to make it sound better; same sex get togethers can also be swinging. Where are they located anyway, with that type of attitude I may not even go to the cities where they are located since they may make the area smell bad!

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check with the resort. Some are picky (e.g. Wyndham) while others aren’t. Plus, if you have two or more owners on the RCI account, and both are going, you can list different owners as lead guest on each room.

I checked with the resort front desk. They said, as long as the person in the reservation is checking in, it should be fine so no need to get a GC. They have entered a note in my reservation.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I checked with the resort front desk. They said, as long as the person in the reservation is checking in, it should be fine so no need to get a GC. They have entered a note in my reservation.
That is the way it should be. If you are planning a reunion and are reserving a half dozen units for the event to bring the whole family you should be able to check in for all six rooms!