• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Drinking water that has gone through a water softener

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... We have a water softner, but our plumbing is such that the cold water that goes through the kitchen tap is not softened. It bypasses the softner. This is standard in our area to avoid just the problem that you are concerned about.

I agree with the response that your water should not taste salty. The way a softner is suppose to work it will leave sodium in the water, but not in the form of salt.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Ann, you should be able to get "unsoftened" water from an outside spigot. Rarely is soft water plumbed for use outside the house. Some homeowners will have one outdoor faucet with soft water for car washing, but rarely will all faucets get treated water.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we had a water softener, it did not come through the kitchen cold water faucet.
And I have had high blood pressure since mid twenties and weighed about one hundred pounds then,no blubber.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel left out. I have my (and possibly someone else's) share of 'blubber', but my BP stays about 115/75. So much for THAT theory. :)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If in doubt, Google it. There are reputable water chemistry professionals who have nothing to sell you with answers to your questions. Like: 8 glasses of soft water contains about the same amount of sodium as one slice of white bread.

Learn how water softeners work- they replace the calcium molecules with ionized sodium, not salt. If water tastes salty, the softener may not be working properly. Have it checked.

Jim

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, Please have you water tested by an independent lab company, that does sale any commercial products.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Hubby checked the softener and said the spigot is way low to the ground so really can't siphon water from it without a hose.

I haven't checked the outside faucets yet but am assuming the landlord has the main water supply to those closed since winter will be upon us soon.

I might just have to bite the bullet and buy some water at Sam's club. I am not going to start with testing the water and all that as we hopefully are only here for 6 months or less. Hopefully less.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Get yourself a Britta filter system.
It's a pitcher with a special top you put water in and it filters and fills the pitcher.
Just keep adding water as needed. Keeping cold in the refrigerator.
You'll love it.
Dave

I am just not sure this would filter out the sodium/

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Soft water systems use salt (nacl) to treat the system, but sodium(na) is in fact passed into the water that comes out. Sodium can raise blood pressure and should be avoided by those with hypertension. Check with your doctor.

If concerned about sodium, you should get a reverse osmosis system for your drinking water in your kitchen. It will remove 90-95% of the sodium.

Another issue is the faucet they have here is of the kind that is a singke lever with a pull down nozzle so not sure I could attach one to it.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an undersink reverse osmosis system. It makes great water. You may want to consider that if you need better drinking water in your long-term home.

At our grocery store, they have a machine that dispenses filtered water for 25 cents a gallon. For just six months, I would get a couple five gallon jugs and refill them once a week.

The amount of sodium in softened water is a function of the hardness of the water being softened. Here's a link describing the calculation if anybody's interested.

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/sodium-in-soft-water

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We have an undersink reverse osmosis system. It makes great water. You may want to consider that if you need better drinking water in your long-term home.

At our grocery store, they have a machine that dispenses filtered water for 25 cents a gallon. For just six months, I would get a couple five gallon jugs and refill them once a week.

The amount of sodium in softened water is a function of the hardness of the water being softened. Here's a link describing the calculation if anybody's interested.

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/sodium-in-soft-water

That sodium can really add up considering if you are like me and drink at least 8/ 8 ounce glasses of water per day. a couple of cups of tea, cooking with the water, etc. I actually feel a bit different with this water and have a slight salty after taste in my mouth. I am not a person that adds salt to any of our food so I am sensitive to it. Thankfully my husband is only consuming water for his coffee for the most part as he is not home all day. He is the one with the high blood pressure.

Our supermarkets do not have a machine that you describe so I think for now I will have to get bottled water. Just another expense we really don't need right now in this already expensive rental house.We are on an already very tight budget with very little extra $ left over each month from hubby's paycheck. Sigh...

I am going to ask the landlord about it, though. See if some way the softener could be diverted from the kitchen tap.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were ignorant when we put in our first water softener. My husband suggested Culligan and we had that installed. The city water inspector came out to inspect and issue the permit, slapped our hands. That was when we had a lesson on sodium introduced into the water by the Culligan system. He said the salt in the water would affect people with high blood pressure. He also said many cities have banned the installation of Culligan type systems as the system discharges alot of salt and minerals into the drains. We switched that out within 2 years to something that was more of a filtration system instead of a salt based system. We did not really notice the difference in taste but it made a alot of difference in how the water felt.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
That sodium can really add up considering if you are like me and drink at least 8/ 8 ounce glasses of water per day. a couple of cups of tea, cooking with the water, etc. I actually feel a bit different with this water and have a slight salty after taste in my mouth. I am not a person that adds salt to any of our food so I am sensitive to it. Thankfully my husband is only consuming water for his coffee for the most part as he is not home all day. He is the one with the high blood pressure.

Our supermarkets do not have a machine that you describe so I think for now I will have to get bottled water. Just another expense we really don't need right now in this already expensive rental house.We are on an already very tight budget with very little extra $ left over each month from hubby's paycheck. Sigh...

I am going to ask the landlord about it, though. See if some way the softener could be diverted from the kitchen tap.

You are getting a lot of mixed information here.
I am speaking from personal long-term experience and very strong knowledge of water conditioning for homes--especially those on well water.

Here is the 'executive summary': I think your softener is misprogrammed, contaminated (salt), in need of repair/maintenance/replacement (unit or resin) and your rental probably doesn't have good whole-house filters (5 micron or smaller). Solution: Test, program, replace or repair, filter. Systematically flush the household water system (cold/hot--all to lowest point) after remediation is complete.
Use potassium chloride to reduce sodium.

To address your concerns;
  • Softened water does contain traces of sodium as a byproduct of the process. If you're using an Ion-exchange resin method softener, and filling it with NaCl (Salt), then you are ingesting additional sodium in your diet. So, how much?
    • The amount of sodium intake from softened water varies. The average for 'properly' softened, light-moderately hard water is about 50 mg sodium per liter
    • The amount of sodium in municipal NON-softened water can be as high as 120 mg per liter
    • The amount of sodium in very hard water, using an improperly maintained/programmed softener could be as high as 1200 mg per liter. This is not just the soft-water...it's more than one issue/problem.
  • Water softeners must be programmed to regenerate based on the water hardness (grains), expected household usage and other personal preferences (when to refresh?) An improperly programmed water softener can
  • Water softeners typically use a 'resin bead' to exchange calcium and magnesium (hardness) with sodium (salt). These beads have a lifespan of about 5-20 years. After that, the unit needs to be replaced or the resin must be replaced and maintenance performed on the internal valving and filters. Older softeners (timer vs demand) are very inefficient and problematic with age. Iron can destroy resins quickly. Chlorine (often used to sterilize wells for inspection or safety) can destroy resin in 5 years. Hydroshock destroys resin 2-10% per year. 10 years plus? probably needs replacement.
  • Water softeners are just like a thermos or water-bottle or water-jug: if you leave them stagnant in warm environments (house unoccupied and above 50 deg), they can develop problems with contamination, bacteria and foul odors/taste. There are methods (chemical) to 'scrub' the resin beads and vessel that may improved these issues.
  • Many homeowners are the worst enemy of the water treatment equipment. The softener (etc...) must be periodically checked for contamination, clogged filters, age of the resin, proper cycling during the regeneration process etc.... If the unit suffers a power outage during the regeneration process or if the operator 'manually cycles' the unit improperly (twist the dial/push buttons), the resin bed and tank can become SATURATED with liquid sodium chloride solution. This will result in SALT WATER being circulated into the home. This can take days of concentrated effort to eradicate the foul water from the softener, heaters, pipes and appliances in the home. Weeks of bad water could result if not addressed.
  • Ion-exchange softened water (vs the same water NOT softened) should have NO perceivable taste or smell as a byproduct of the process. AGAIN. Softened water does not TASTE salty. If it does....you have a bigger problem.
  • Well water DOES have significant taste/smell/feel perceptions. Municipal treated water also has significant taste/smell issues. Well water (muni too!!!) can have additional problems with bacteria, heavy metals bacteria, microorganisms and more. Manganese gives off a tar/oil/asphalt odor, hydrogen sulfide is 'rotten eggs', iron and sulphur bacteria react with hot water heaters to produce the same rotten egg smell.
Some solutions:

So unhappy with soft water you can't stand it? You won't like the same water 'hard.' Buy a counter-top RO system or undersink.
  • Have your 'untreated' water checked for hardness, iron, bacteria etc....
  • Have your 'treated' water checked for hardness iron, bacteria etc... Note the sodium content before and after softening
  • Compare the before/after of the treated/untreated water. Program the softener appropriately or replace or add filters etc....
  • Determine the age and condition of the softener. If over 10 years old with no maintenance--it's dead and needs replacement or refurbishment.
  • Insure that the water softener is properly programmed to fit your water usage, hardness and regeneration times.
  • DON'T use NaCL SALT in the softener. Use POTASSIUM chloride KCl instead. It's available at Lowes HD etc.... Probably $15-20 a bag instead of $5-6. NO Sodium
  • Clean the softener with a resin regenerator. Available at Lowes, Hd etc... May improve the flavor of the water.
  • Is your water filtered with a whole-house filter? Why not? Well water should ALWAYS be filtered and I highly recommend a secondary (fine) filter with charcoal to reduce contaminants, odor and improve the flavor. A kit with 2 big-blue 10" filters, mounting block, valves etc... is less than $150 and easy to install. By the owner. Filters are about $20-25 and last 3-6 months. $99 on Fleabay plus filters.
Hope this helps.
https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Water_Softener_Resin_Replacement.php

upload_2019-10-11_8-13-39.png

upload_2019-10-11_8-11-56.png
upload_2019-10-11_8-13-8.png
upload_2019-10-11_8-28-52.png

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You are getting a lot of mixed information here.
I am speaking from personal long-term experience and very strong knowledge of water conditioning for homes--especially those on well water.

Here is the 'executive summary': I think your softener is misprogrammed, contaminated (salt), in need of repair/maintenance/replacement (unit or resin) and your rental probably doesn't have good whole-house filters (5 micron or smaller). Solution: Test, program, replace or repair, filter. Systematically flush the household water system (cold/hot--all to lowest point) after remediation is complete.
Use potassium chloride to reduce sodium.

To address your concerns;
  • Softened water does contain traces of sodium as a byproduct of the process. If you're using an Ion-exchange resin method softener, and filling it with NaCl (Salt), then you are ingesting additional sodium in your diet. So, how much?
    • The amount of sodium intake from softened water varies. The average for 'properly' softened, light-moderately hard water is about 50 mg sodium per liter
    • The amount of sodium in municipal NON-softened water can be as high as 120 mg per liter
    • The amount of sodium in very hard water, using an improperly maintained/programmed softener could be as high as 1200 mg per liter. This is not just the soft-water...it's more than one issue/problem.
  • Water softeners must be programmed to regenerate based on the water hardness (grains), expected household usage and other personal preferences (when to refresh?) An improperly programmed water softener can
  • Water softeners typically use a 'resin bead' to exchange calcium and magnesium (hardness) with sodium (salt). These beads have a lifespan of about 5-20 years. After that, the unit needs to be replaced or the resin must be replaced and maintenance performed on the internal valving and filters. Older softeners (timer vs demand) are very inefficient and problematic with age. Iron can destroy resins quickly. Chlorine (often used to sterilize wells for inspection or safety) can destroy resin in 5 years. Hydroshock destroys resin 2-10% per year. 10 years plus? probably needs replacement.
  • Water softeners are just like a thermos or water-bottle or water-jug: if you leave them stagnant in warm environments (house unoccupied and above 50 deg), they can develop problems with contamination, bacteria and foul odors/taste. There are methods (chemical) to 'scrub' the resin beads and vessel that may improved these issues.
  • Many homeowners are the worst enemy of the water treatment equipment. The softener (etc...) must be periodically checked for contamination, clogged filters, age of the resin, proper cycling during the regeneration process etc.... If the unit suffers a power outage during the regeneration process or if the operator 'manually cycles' the unit improperly (twist the dial/push buttons), the resin bed and tank can become SATURATED with liquid sodium chloride solution. This will result in SALT WATER being circulated into the home. This can take days of concentrated effort to eradicate the foul water from the softener, heaters, pipes and appliances in the home. Weeks of bad water could result if not addressed.
  • Ion-exchange softened water (vs the same water NOT softened) should have NO perceivable taste or smell as a byproduct of the process. AGAIN. Softened water does not TASTE salty. If it does....you have a bigger problem.
  • Well water DOES have significant taste/smell/feel perceptions. Municipal treated water also has significant taste/smell issues. Well water (muni too!!!) can have additional problems with bacteria, heavy metals bacteria, microorganisms and more. Manganese gives off a tar/oil/asphalt odor, hydrogen sulfide is 'rotten eggs', iron and sulphur bacteria react with hot water heaters to produce the same rotten egg smell.
Some solutions:

So unhappy with soft water you can't stand it? You won't like the same water 'hard.' Buy a counter-top RO system or undersink.
  • Have your 'untreated' water checked for hardness, iron, bacteria etc....
  • Have your 'treated' water checked for hardness iron, bacteria etc... Note the sodium content before and after softening
  • Compare the before/after of the treated/untreated water. Program the softener appropriately or replace or add filters etc....
  • Determine the age and condition of the softener. If over 10 years old with no maintenance--it's dead and needs replacement or refurbishment.
  • Insure that the water softener is properly programmed to fit your water usage, hardness and regeneration times.
  • DON'T use NaCL SALT in the softener. Use POTASSIUM chloride KCl instead. It's available at Lowes HD etc.... Probably $15-20 a bag instead of $5-6. NO Sodium
  • Clean the softener with a resin regenerator. Available at Lowes, Hd etc... May improve the flavor of the water.
  • Is your water filtered with a whole-house filter? Why not? Well water should ALWAYS be filtered and I highly recommend a secondary (fine) filter with charcoal to reduce contaminants, odor and improve the flavor. A kit with 2 big-blue 10" filters, mounting block, valves etc... is less than $150 and easy to install. By the owner. Filters are about $20-25 and last 3-6 months. $99 on Fleabay plus filters.
Hope this helps.
https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Water_Softener_Resin_Replacement.php

View attachment 14561
View attachment 14559View attachment 14560View attachment 14562

Wow! Thanks Rob!

At this point I decided to just buy spring water at Sams club. I already can tell the difference. When I was drinking the tap water I had a permanent salt taste in my mouth all day! It is a very slight salty after taste that it has. Now with the spring water I am back to normal- no weird taste in my mouth all day..

Being we are only going to be living here temporarily until our new house is built, we do not want to spend money at this rental house. We can barely afford the rent as it is. The counter top thing would not work as we have a pull down faucet in the kitchen and we looked on line into other RO things and all were expensive. Not our house. Not putting money into it.

There is a water filter on the system, but not sure how good it is. We found the valve where we can take water out before it enters the softener, but there is a hose on it (I guess for when the landlord drains it when he replaces the filter). I would have to take it off and see what the water is like. If it seems good I have to buy a pitcher to store the water in.

Kind of a hassle so trying this buying water thing for now. I hate the idea of buying water but will see how it goes.

BTW-We had great well water at our past 2 houses. The last house we did have a filter on for grit and the sulphur, etc. In fact, we had just installed a new one when we replaced the water heater before we sold the house. We liked the way it tasted and also felt when showering.

Not crazy about the way the softened water feels when showering, but can live with it for now until we move again.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
At this point I decided to just buy spring water at Sams club.

I like your decision. Sometimes I stay at my Son's house when he is out of town. On the way there I stop at Target and buy 3 or 4 gallons of Ozarka spring water. I think the cost is $1.18 per gallon. I consider it money well spent...

George

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Wow! Thanks Rob!

At this point I decided to just buy spring water at Sams club. I already can tell the difference. When I was drinking the tap water I had a permanent salt taste in my mouth all day! It is a very slight salty after taste that it has. Now with the spring water I am back to normal- no weird taste in my mouth all day..

Being we are only going to be living here temporarily until our new house is built, we do not want to spend money at this rental house. We can barely afford the rent as it is. The counter top thing would not work as we have a pull down faucet in the kitchen and we looked on line into other RO things and all were expensive. Not our house. Not putting money into it.

There is a water filter on the system, but not sure how good it is. We found the valve where we can take water out before it enters the softener, but there is a hose on it (I guess for when the landlord drains it when he replaces the filter). I would have to take it off and see what the water is like. If it seems good I have to buy a pitcher to store the water in.

I hear you.

Check the filter. If it's not fresh....it should be replaced.

I'd let the owner know.....'your water softener needs attention, it appears to need maintenance based on the salty flavor.'
Most owners have no idea. Just dump the salt in and go....

Not really your expense IMO

good luck!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just not sure this would filter out the sodium/
+1 for getting a Brita filter pitcher. The water you buy at Walmart is just the same local tap water that's been run through a filter. You can easily eliminate the middleman and filter it yourself. It's worth a try anyway and might save you a tidy bundle- especially in the short term while you seek a more permanent solution in the new house.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
+1 for getting a Brita filter pitcher. The water you buy at Walmart is just the same local tap water that's been run through a filter. You can easily eliminate the middleman and filter it yourself. It's worth a try anyway and might save you a tidy bundle- especially in the short term while you seek a more permanent solution in the new house.

Jim

The Brita filter does not take out the sodium, Jim. I am right now buying Poland spring water, not tap water.

Hoping when our new home is finally built that the municipal water is ok. We have always had a well. We are going to have it tested (the new home water), which the municipality does for free, when we finally move there.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I hear you.

Check the filter. If it's not fresh....it should be replaced.

I'd let the owner know.....'your water softener needs attention, it appears to need maintenance based on the salty flavor.'
Most owners have no idea. Just dump the salt in and go....

Not really your expense IMO

good luck!

I did mention it to the owners. They said they always drank it with no issues. They said we could tap the valve that in between the filter and the water softener, which is in the basement/garage. But right now I did not want to hassle with that, so I am buying water for now. Of course, having to buy water has a hassle factor also. I just about went through a jug already and plan to go back today to Sam's Club to get several more. I never expected this with this rental house. First experience with a water softener.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So- have been buying Poland Spring jugs of water at Sams Club. Amazing how much water we go through. It bothers me to spend money on water, not to mention buying the two jug packs they are very heavy to lift.

Today, hubby went into the garage/basement area and unscrewed the drain hose at the tap between the filter and the softener and filled an empty jug with the water. The water is clear, cold and tasted great! I even took a swig of the softened water again to compare and make sure I was not crazy and BIG Difference!

So- from now on we will fill the jugs up with the tap water and save the money and inconvenience of having to drive to Sams all the time for water. I'll keep some of the unopenend Poland Springs jugs for emergencies (like a power outage or whatever). Crazy we have to do this, though. I really never though about the water possibly being a problem when moving- last thing on my mind. Why they have this softener is beyond me. I still feel like I have soap on me and in my hair after washing and showering.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So- have been buying Poland Spring jugs of water at Sams Club. Amazing how much water we go through. It bothers me to spend money on water, not to mention buying the two jug packs they are very heavy to lift.

Today, hubby went into the garage/basement area and unscrewed the drain hose at the tap between the filter and the softener and filled an empty jug with the water. The water is clear, cold and tasted great! I even took a swig of the softened water again to compare and make sure I was not crazy and BIG Difference!

So- from now on we will fill the jugs up with the tap water and save the money and inconvenience of having to drive to Sams all the time for water. I'll keep some of the unopenend Poland Springs jugs for emergencies (like a power outage or whatever). Crazy we have to do this, though. I really never though about the water possibly being a problem when moving- last thing on my mind. Why they have this softener is beyond me. I still feel like I have soap on me and in my hair after washing and showering.
You should tell the owners. Something is wrong with their system.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Ann, there should be a bypass valve on the incoming pipe to the water softener. Just shut it and your water won't go through the softener. It will just go into the regular pipes in the house.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
there's probably a valve on the back of the softener actually, it may be more than one valve that will allow you to bypass and cut the water softener out of the house hold water supply.

look at the valve and look at Google and you'll find instructions on how to bypass it

https://www.culliganmidmissouri.com/how-to-bypass-your-softener/
3d3f1e9cf27a45247a953624989a7414.jpg
4d8aef89c5675ec16acae0271121c644.jpg
0430bb919cf78b0aa51f526b0f37dba2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. Rob's pictorial make it clear how to bypass the softener. Mine is like th middle one and you simply push the plunger from one end to the other. Then if you turn the power off to the softener you'll know it's out of the system. Alternately you can just not refill the salt hopper when it runs out- though that may take several months to use up the salt in a modern high efficiency water softener.