• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone install an on-demand water heater?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My house is sixteen years old, and I'm looking at doing some internal renovations (again) to add value to things, and to make it more comfortable for long-term use.

I'm considering replacing the original conventional gas water heater with an on-demand tankless water heater system. The current water heater is still working, but common sense logic says it won't last forever. I am the original owner of this home, and the water heater has never been a problem. (Or for that matter, it has never run out of hot water, that I know of.)

Figuring that I'm on borrowed time, (two neighbors have already had to replace their failed water heaters, in homes younger than mine), I'm exploring options on A) Whether it's worthwhile to switch to a tankless system in terms of performance, cost, and water/gas savings, or B) Just take the easier way out and replace the existing water tank with another of the same type. Bonus question: C) Is it worth the overall hassle for the return, or should I just leave well-enough alone?

Anybody have real world experience to share?

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't have any real world experience to share, we have replaced water heaters, but only when they were needed. I would probably go with the "leave well enough alone" at this point. If the water heater does fail prior to you planning to sell you can deal with it then. I don't ever remember when we've bought a house the former owner disclosing the age of the water heater.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Christmas mountain isdoing this in the timeshares, because legionnaires was forming when the units sat unused

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have replaced two. Both were in the garage by the furnace. You will not see true financial payback, but they are very nice. I did the complete install except hired a plumber to do the nat. gas hookup. Because of the garage location in VERY limited space, the new Rinnia heater allowed for a softener to be added

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have tankless water heater and really like it.

They are super efficient and we have never ran out of hot water with it.

2 cons, it takes a little while longer to get hot water to the taps furthest away. Ours is now 11 years old and it needs a higher volume of water to activate than the newer ones.

Friends who come over will turn the hot water on low to rinse the dishes and ask why no hot water. Newer ones are much better now.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no information on whether a tankless water heater is more efficient or more convenient than a traditional tanked model. I can only offer this anecdote.

I also had a water heater that was 20-25 years old, logically on its last legs. And I also had interest in replacing it with tankless. But I also decided that if "it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Well, of course it finally went. Of course we were out of hot water, and wanted a replacement ASAP. The only plumber I could locate that could come out immediately took a look and decided that, if I wanted tankless, the plumbing and venting had to be reconfigured. And that was more than he was willing/able to do at the last minute. The choice -- either replace the existing 40 gal water heater, or wait until he could order the parts and schedule a replacement, which could be a week or two. So I still have a normal tank-based water heater. And 40 gallons at that, as even going up to 50 gallons required moving some plumbing and venting.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, iirc you are considering moving. If this is the case, you'll never get the numbers to work in your favor. I'd keep the one you have unless you hit a lottery. Blow about $10 on a 'water alarm' to put next to it in case it leaks before you notice a wet spot, and keep the funds to replace it in the 'emergency stash'.

I considered going tankless here, along with solar, but at our ages it just doesn't make (dollars and) sense.

Jim

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
We have tankless electric at our office's three sinks. Aren't single-unit at-home tankless also electric? They pull an enormous amount of power when heating. Do you have wiring in place for that? I doubt it unless you have an adjacent electric dryer.

Or are you considering gas-fired on-demand heaters?

The nice thing about the several units is there's no single point of failure, but we planned the electrical at buildout. Now I'm looking at small-tank individual units. They store 3-5 gallons, usually run on 110v, and aren't big. They'd work for sinks but not well for showers or washers.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We are paying an upgrade fee to have one installed in our new home. An "on demand" water heater.

In our former home, our 10 year old water heater broke this past winter (and we put our home on the market in June- so it was a good selling point at least). We had a "System 2000" oil boiler and the water heater tank that is part of it is half the size of a regular water heater tank, but we never ran out of hot water. It was kind of like a combination of on-demand and a tank and we were happy with that.

Remains to be seen how we will like the tank less.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, iirc you are considering moving. If this is the case, you'll never get the numbers to work in your favor. I'd keep the one you have unless you hit a lottery. Blow about $10 on a 'water alarm' to put next to it in case it leaks before you notice a wet spot, and keep the funds to replace it in the 'emergency stash'.

I considered going tankless here, along with solar, but at our ages it just doesn't make (dollars and) sense.

Jim

We've pretty well decided to stay where we are for now, and travel away when we want to visit someplace warmer. Not my first choice, but it's a better financial decision, for now. After my spouse retires, then things may change. That's what started me down the road of thinking of renovations on the current house. It's a nice house, and we like living here. But if I'm going to spend the next several years retired in it, I want it to be as nice as I can realistically make it. ("Realistic" equals "financially worthwhile.")

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We have tankless electric at our office's three sinks. Aren't single-unit at-home tankless also electric? They pull an enormous amount of power when heating. Do you have wiring in place for that? I doubt it unless you have an adjacent electric dryer.

Or are you considering gas-fired on-demand heaters?

The nice thing about the several units is there's no single point of failure, but we planned the electrical at buildout. Now I'm looking at small-tank individual units. They store 3-5 gallons, usually run on 110v, and aren't big. They'd work for sinks but not well for showers or washers.

Our current water heater is gas. I'm interested in a whole-house system to replace the existing tank and footprint in the garage, not point-of use. I think electric, gas, and propane versions exist. Not sure one type is better suited than another. Still wading through all the various types and sizes.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've pretty well decided to stay where we are for now, and travel away when we want to visit someplace warmer. Not my first choice, but it's a better financial decision, for now. After my spouse retires, then things may change. That's what started me down the road of thinking of renovations on the current house. It's a nice house, and we like living here. But if I'm going to spend the next several years retired in it, I want it to be as nice as I can realistically make it. ("Realistic" equals "financially worthwhile.")

Dave
This thread, and our good friends having to go to McCall to winterize their second home, prompted us to be thinking about the water heater in our condo. It's 11 now, and really the only 'time bomb' in the place. Now we're thinking about replacing it 'prophylactically '. Thanks for bringing it up, pal!
Command decision: check with the management company on others in the building being replaced, and act accordingly. OR, if we need other plumbing work, have the wh replaced then to avoid a second service call.y

JIm

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We will most likely replace fairly soon. Dh was told about some issues with our current one when our servicing was done.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Tankless are the bomb. (gas only) We have two (only) and nothing else.

Pro: endless hot water, no tank (but you can....), great for gas--low emissions, easy plumb, efficient
Con: run time to hot, installers who see $$$, research before buy,

Installing one is really zero effort unless you have no vent option. If no vent....you're done.
If you shop....really shop.....you can buy the unit/install pieces for fair prices.
If so, find someone who likes and works with tankless. More trouble than it's worth to convince someone.

Also, have you considered a 'heat pump' or high efficiency unit? Might be an option.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Dave

We started updating our home in 2011 and finished 2 years ago. We knew we were going to move eventually but I also knew- and had to convince hubby- we would be living in the home all those years and I wanted to get some enjoyment out of it as well. I also convinced hubby that it would help sell the house when the time came. We were both working during the upgrading years which made it easier to pay for it all.

We made back the money we paid for the house initially in 1987, and the money we put into those recent renovations. As for all the money we spent on it in between- nope. Nada. Just not that kind of real estate market there. But hey- we were living in it for 32 years so I am ok with it.

Now living in this crazy expensive, tiny, older, outdated, worn-out, temporary rental home, I so miss our former home terribly, Dave. Enjoy your home while you are there.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My house is sixteen years old, and I'm looking at doing some internal renovations (again) to add value to things, and to make it more comfortable for long-term use.

I'm considering replacing the original conventional gas water heater with an on-demand tankless water heater system. The current water heater is still working, but common sense logic says it won't last forever. I am the original owner of this home, and the water heater has never been a problem. (Or for that matter, it has never run out of hot water, that I know of.)

Figuring that I'm on borrowed time, (two neighbors have already had to replace their failed water heaters, in homes younger than mine), I'm exploring options on A) Whether it's worthwhile to switch to a tankless system in terms of performance, cost, and water/gas savings, or B) Just take the easier way out and replace the existing water tank with another of the same type. Bonus question: C) Is it worth the overall hassle for the return, or should I just leave well-enough alone?

Dave

The only problem you might eventually have is a burnt out element. Easy fix. The kit is about $20 at Home Depot. I'm still on our original 80 gallon tank. I installed it when we built this place 25 years ago. Haven't had a problem yet.

I might consider tankless if I were to build another home because planning for tankless for a new home versus retrofitting in an existing home is a better situation, imo.

Bill

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave

If you're doing this for resale value then don't do it. The initial cost is greater, and a buyer will buy your home because of its location and layout; not because of the source of hot water.

HOWEVER, if you plan to be there a while, and would like the enjoyment of doing it, then by all means do so, and do it prior to or when the existing hot water system fails.

I own a vacation home and had one installed when I modernized the kitchen (due to space issues for a new hot water tank) so it made sense to do it. Granted, it was an outflow of dollars to do so, but I gained some much needed space!

Enjoy!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
For what it is worth, my current home has a tankless. I was so excited that it was included in the home.

Fast forward and the new house I am buying has the gas tank and I am happy it does.

My two dislikes of Tankless are it takes too long a time to get hot water and if it is on the other side of a bedroom wall you will hear the clicking on turn on and off which is annoying.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Now living in this crazy expensive, tiny, older, outdated, worn-out, temporary rental home, I so miss our former home terribly, Dave. Enjoy your home while you are there.

Thanks, Mary Ann. But eyes on the prize: Your current home is temporary, and you'll soon be in your spanking new place, built exactly how you wanted it! That's got to be exciting!

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
For what it is worth, my current home has a tankless. I was so excited that it was included in the home.

Fast forward and the new house I am buying has the gas tank and I am happy it does.

My two dislikes of Tankless are it takes too long a time to get hot water and if it is on the other side of a bedroom wall you will hear the clicking on turn on and off which is annoying.

I appreciate the mechanics of it. In my home, the tankless heater would be in the garage, downstairs and across the house from the Master Bath. But conversely, that means that bathroom I'd be using is furthest from the hot water source. I am beginning to question whether i want to hassle with changing the system at this point. Just replacing the existing tank with a new, more energy efficient version may be the best option, financially and otherwise.

Dave

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I appreciate the mechanics of it. In my home, the tankless heater would be in the garage, downstairs and across the house from the Master Bath. But conversely, that means that bathroom I'd be using is furthest from the hot water source. I am beginning to question whether i want to hassle with changing the system at this point. Just replacing the existing tank with a new, more energy efficient version may be the best option, financially and otherwise.

Dave

You can make your current tank more efficient pretty easy. Put an insulation wrap on the tank. Set the tank to 120 degrees. Install a timer that turns the tank off at night. If the tank is sitting on concrete place an insulated barrier between the tank and concrete. Install a heat trap nipple on top of your tank. Looping the supply lines on top of the tank creates a heat trap.

My tank is in a heated area but I do have the thermostat set at 120 degrees, have the heat trap nipples and heat trap looped supply lines. My tank is lifted off the basement floor on an insulated platform so I can drain it easy. Really, there isn't much to a hot water tank.

When mine goes I might go with a heat pump hot water tank only if there are tax credits or incentives. It should work well as it would be near the air handler in a heated area. My concern would be noise.

Bill

RNDOLL

Reaction score

Dave
We bought a 4100 sq ft home for our family of 7..home had a tankless water heater and since we had never had one before we were apprehensive about the pros/cons..we love it!..much cheaper to operate than gas or electric tank heaters and never run out of hot water as it heats it when you need it!..takes up much less space as mounts on the wall...would not consider ever going back to a tank..