• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CWA Purchase Question

jphilcici

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a Platinum owner but have no CWA points. I was told at a recent presentation that if I purchased a minimum amount of CWA points ALL of our points would the have the ARP benefits of CWA. Is this true or can we only use the small amount of CWA points for this ARP benefit?

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
Its partially true. Usually when they do that they will take back all your points and then issue them all back as CWA. So yes they will all get CWA arp because they will all be CWA points

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
But Wyndham will buy the deeded points back for what you paid for them and sell the CWA points to you at the current rate. In my case my parents paid about $30/1000 in the early '90s. That's what they were going to give us and sell us points at their overpriced rate. They must have thought I was stupid or something.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
But Wyndham will buy the deeded points back for what you paid for them and sell the CWA points to you at the current rate. In my case my parents paid about $30/1000 in the early '90s. That's what they were going to give us and sell us points at their overpriced rate. They must have thought I was stupid or something.
Same BS they tried on my Uncle. Daze and confuse.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

When I traded my points, they gave me more then what I paid. I paid $85 per 1,000 back in 2008. They gave me $190 per 1,000 in 2018 when I went Gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
The question is how much did they sell them back to you for $260 per 1000?

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
The question is how much did they sell them back to you for $260 per 1000?

I paid $190 per 1,000 for 110,000 National Harbor points. I traded my 182,000 Patriots place for more National Harbor. I walked away with 292,000 National Harbor points for $20,900. It was a 1 for 1 trade. I only paid for the 110,000 National Harbor points at $190 per 1,000. I could have done all CWA for $140 per 1,000 but I didn’t want to pay those maintenance fees. I was ok with paying a little more. I would have paid a lot more if I bought at National Harbor.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid $190 per 1,000 for 110,000 National Harbor points. I traded my 182,000 Patriots place for more National Harbor. I walked away with 292,000 National Harbor points for $20,900. It was a 1 for 1 trade. I only paid for the 110,000 National Harbor points at $190 per 1,000. I could have done all CWA for $140 per 1,000 but I didn’t want to pay those maintenance fees. I was ok with paying a little more. I would have paid a lot more if I bought at National Harbor.

Sounds like a win for you. You traded a higher MF Patriots place for a lower MF National Harbor. You must have worn them down but they still made a 110,000 point sale to your benefit. Nice work!

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Sounds like a win for you. You traded a higher MF Patriots place for a lower MF National Harbor. You must have worn them down but they still made a 110,000 point sale to your benefit. Nice work!

It’s called an equity trade. They do it with PR owners all the time. They trade their points for PR points. I just think 55plus’s sales people were trying to earn a little extra commission and did probably think they were stupid. They treat everyone like they are stupid until we prove them otherwise.

jphilcici

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, So I understand I can trade my existing deeded points in for CWA points. I do not want to do this. I was told I can keep my existing deeded points and purchase a small amount of CWA points and have ALL of my points - deeded and new CWA points - eligible for the CWA ARP. True?

drepublic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VIP Silver, Wyndham Clearwater Beach (326k Developer), Wyndham Bonnet Creek (74k Developer and 269k Resale) Wyndham Ocean Boulevard (220.5k Resale)

I traded 200,000 CWA points at $142/1000 directly into Clearwater with purchase of 126,000 clearwater UDI at $225 (ouch!), but it gave me ARP at Clearwater which is what was the reason for the trade in. Lower maintenance fees was a bonus. Clearwater is expensive to own buying there but equity trading in 200,000 CWA points brought my AVG cost/1000 at Clearwater down to $175 on 326,000 UDI points (note this was just BEFORE Clearwater went into CWA and no one told me at the time this was in the works).

I'm not sure this is the best advice but someone wanting to end up at Deeded VIP points at particular resort may consider buying CWA first, then later buying more or some minimum to hit a goal for resort of choice doing an equity trade in the lower cost/1000 CWA.

I would NEVER equity trade higher cost deeded points into CWA.

If I was already platinum and wanted ARP at particular resorts, I would first look to see if I really needed ARP first looking out at your booking window at where you want to go and maybe talk to some CWA owners and have some look at ARP availability at your resorts of interest as some have done for me. Then just purchase a resale CWA contract on the cheap for the amount of points you think you would need ARP for. I'm sure there are other opinions out there...this is just mine.

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
OK, So I understand I can trade my existing deeded points in for CWA points. I do not want to do this. I was told I can keep my existing deeded points and purchase a small amount of CWA points and have ALL of my points - deeded and new CWA points - eligible for the CWA ARP. True?

Not true no - your CWA points in the ARP window will not combine with your CWS points. Not even if you are attempting to book at your actual CWS deeded resort.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I traded 200,000 CWA points at $142/1000 directly into Clearwater with purchase of 126,000 clearwater UDI at $225 (ouch!), but it brought my maintenance fees down and my AVG cost/1000 at Clearwater is $175 on 326,000 UDI points (note this was just BEFORE Clearwater went into CWA and no one told me at the time this was in the works).

I'm not sure this is the best advice but someone wanting to end up at Deeded VIP points at particular resort may consider buying CWA first, then later buying more or some minimum to hit a goal for resort of choice doing an equity trade in the lower cost/1000 CWA.

I would NEVER equity trade higher cost deeded points into CWA.

If I was already platinum and wanted ARP at particular resorts, I would first look to see if I really needed ARP first looking out at your booking window at where you want to go and maybe talk to some CWA owners and have some look at ARP availability at your resorts of interest as some have done for me. Then just purchase a resale CWA contract on the cheap for the amount of points you think you would need ARP for. I'm sure there are other opinions out there...this is just mine.

I hesitate to mention that trading to a lower maintenance fee resort will lower your maintenance fees because your upfront costs will eat into those savings. Unless your resort is $10 per 1,000 and you are trading for some less then $4 per 1,000, you likely will never see a return on your upfront costs in the form of maintenance fee savings. In my case, I needed to buy retail to enroll another PIC. I got 110,000 because that’s how many I needed to buy to get to Gold. The equity trade was free, so I took the opportunity to trade to a lower maintenance fee resort. I couldn’t get Canterbury or Bali Hai through telesales, but I could get National Harbor. If it would have cost me extra to do the trade, I never would have done it. If someone wants to buy, to up their level of VIP or enroll a PIC, then they should definitely consider trading for a lower maintenance fee resort if it’s free and they don’t need ARP at their current home resort.

Because I did an equity trade, I could not get bonus points. I was ok with that. I still got a $1,500 cash rebate.

drepublic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VIP Silver, Wyndham Clearwater Beach (326k Developer), Wyndham Bonnet Creek (74k Developer and 269k Resale) Wyndham Ocean Boulevard (220.5k Resale)
I hesitate to mention that trading to a lower maintenance fee resort will lower your maintenance fees because your upfront costs will eat into those savings. Unless your resort is $10 per 1,000 and you are trading for some less then $4 per 1,000, you likely will never see a return on your upfront costs in the form of maintenance fee savings.

For sure. In my case I was having difficulty booking Clearwater when I wanted it, so ARP at Clearwater was the reason for the trade in. Lower maintenance fee was just a bonus.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hesitate to mention that trading to a lower maintenance fee resort will lower your maintenance fees because your upfront costs will eat into those savings. Unless your resort is $10 per 1,000 and you are trading for some less then $4 per 1,000, you likely will never see a return on your upfront costs in the form of maintenance fee savings. In my case, I needed to buy retail to enroll another PIC. I got 110,000 because that’s how many I needed to buy to get to Gold. The equity trade was free, so I took the opportunity to trade to a lower maintenance fee resort. I couldn’t get Canterbury or Bali Hai through telesales, but I could get National Harbor. If it would have cost me extra to do the trade, I never would have done it. If someone wants to buy, to up their level of VIP or enroll a PIC, then they should definitely consider trading for a lower maintenance fee resort if it’s free and they don’t need ARP at their current home resort.

Because I did an equity trade, I could not get bonus points. I was ok with that. I still got a $1,500 cash rebate.

Many have referred to this as a sunk cost. If you want it and it works thevVIP pay back or return on investment is a mute point. I personally wouldn't buy developer and have made it work buying resale and renting from a VIP. Just lean the system and make it work for your situation. One size doesn't fit all.