• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car Seat Hawaiian Airlines

CaliGirl08

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Hi.

I'll be taking my toddler to Hawaii in March 2020. I bought him roundtrip airfare. He is under 2 years old when we go and over 2 years old when we fly back. Is he required to have a car seat going to Honolulu on Hawaiian Airlines?

I read over 2 years old, it is recommended. While under 2 years old it says make him a lap child or bring a rear facing car seat. The customer service rep said car seat is recommended only for under 2. Anyone have any suggestions if I should bring a car seat? We were planning to rent one instead of hauling it through airport.

It would be his first flight.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. Car seat is not required over 2 (and IMHO is not needed given the risk). That being said, they are not lap child eligible and will require a seat once they hit the age of 2.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Adding to my post ...

You can check car seats (or gate check) for free. That is what we did once our kids hit 2 years of age. If I thought the chances of turbulence were high, I would have different reco.mendations, but the fact is I have flown over a million air miles and have yet to encounter an adverse event of turbulence or disaster where a seat belt would have been required. YMMV.

ryan

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Adding to my post ...

You can check car seats (or gate check) for free. That is what we did once our kids hit 2 years of age. If I thought the chances of turbulence were high, I would have different reco.mendations, but the fact is I have flown over a million air miles and have yet to encounter an adverse event of turbulence or disaster where a seat belt would have been required. YMMV.

ryan

Consider yourself lucky. With that said, I believe it is irresponsible to make a recommendation based on you having "flown over a million air miles and have yet to encounter an adverse event of turbulence or disaster where a seat belt would have been required."

It only takes one such event. That's why we have the seat belts on both planes and vehicles.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We rented a car seat once from the rental car company. It was disgusting. After that we always brought them, even with two kids. The girls were more comfortable in the plane with their car seats. It was a bit of a pain hauling them, the stroller, all of their other gear through the airports, but we managed.

brownhaired_girl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel as though my granddaughter traveled better in her car seat. She was accustomed to it and slept well on the planes. Be sure to check that the car seat is FAA approved and has sticker visible.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
If he's going to be a lap child flying without a ticket on the way out, bring a birth certificate or copy---you may have to prove age. That said, for a nearly 2 year old, I would not try to do a lap child on that long a flight, especially in coach.

If child is ticketed, he's required to be in the paid for seat during take-off and landing.

I always kept a fairly cheap (and lightweight) car seat to use when flying (and then to use in the car when we arrived)---something like Evenflo. It's easier if the seat part is fairly low so their legs can't kick the seat in front of them as easily (legs hang down instead of stick out). Don't worry about rear facing on an airplane...not enough room and not enough benefit to be concerned. Most seats are FAA approved, but not booster seats.

If you think you might want to gate check the seat, bring a large clear yard waste bag to tie around it. It will keep it clean and baggage handlers will see what it is and hopefully take care of it.

CaliGirl08

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Thanks for the tips. Evenflo and Cosco car seats are light weight and cheaper than a rental car seat price of $70.

I may just get those airport carts to haul car seat to the gate along with my carry-on luggage. Then it will save me on checking in bags. LOL

zora

TUG Member
Reaction score
My GD uses an inflatable booster seat. But she's tall for her age. You may also want to check Graco.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
My kid hated car seats on planes. She couldn’t understand why she had to sit in her car seat if we weren’t moving.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My kid hated car seats on planes. She couldn’t understand why she had to sit in her car seat if we weren’t moving.
Was she okay with using a seat belt if she was in a regular seat? Or was that also something she couldn't understand since you weren't moving?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would definitely take your child's own car seat. She is used to being confined in it and sometimes falling asleep in it, and most importantly she understands that she has to stay in it. If you don't take it, she will not understand why she has to stay in her airplane seat, and the flight will be much more difficult for her and you. In addition to your child's comfort - it's a lot safer to have her strapped into the car seat. Then, when you get to Hawaii, you will have your own safe, clean car seat.

Another thing that we did on long trips when our kids were little is to go to the dollar store and buy a bag full of $1 toys and books. Then, when you child needs a distraction, pull something new out of the bag - works like a charm!

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was she okay with using a seat belt if she was in a regular seat? Or was that also something she couldn't understand since you weren't moving?

She was fine on the plane with the regular seat belt. That was after she was no longer a lap child.

But I should add—bring, do not rent a car seat. Even if the car rental agency manages to have the right size (infant, toddler, booster, big kid booster) it’s a toss up on how clean it will be. Buy a car seat cover and check the seat with your luggage. It’s well worth the hassle.

When you pick up your car seat it sometimes comes out in the oversized luggage area.