• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sheraton Kauai Review and Pics

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am curious. I have never complained about the water being too hot anywhere. I believe I would rather the base hot was too hot and it can be cooled using some cold, then having it not hot enough and get stuck with a luke warm shower. Are their shower controls not capable of doing this? I have to ask, as I don't fully understand why that would be a resort complaint.. please let me know. That is also the second or third complaint I have seen about the shower tiles. they must be horribly slippery!

Me neither, I like hot water as well - but the water is scalding hot (and safety hazard for those caught unaware) - no way that water temp is suppose to be that high.

They are dangerously slippery - luckily our remodel Designer brought this to my attention as I wanted to do the same. They supply a mat - but a safety issue for those caught unaware.

btw - these safety issues were noted (kindly) in my survey from them.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Our 1st 2 nights were peaceful.
Then...

It is probably the randomness of neighbors you end up with. I have heard this was an issue from Ken555’s post, and other hotel/TS conversions.

A loud TV or loud conversations are easy to mitigate - a crying infant?

We decided to stick it out as we are entrenched - and prepare the sofa...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to learn that you also had noise issues. Since you had a 1bed unit, I’m assuming you had a connecting door to the studio and the noise was from that unit, correct? Apparently there are several studio units without a connecting door, but I’m unsure if the same is true with a 1bed. Sadly, the connecting door is too thin and there’s a gap at bottom so any noise just passes through. It’s a design failure...I don’t know any other way to look at it, and they could fix if they wanted. But, like Nanea’s shuttle beeping due to lack of foresight in allowing space to turn around I highly doubt the management will do anything, ever. I’d like to be proved wrong. This noise issue is another where actions speak louder than words, and I’m not at all interested in any statement from management other than “it’s fixed.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Sorry to learn that you also had noise issues. Since you had a 1bed unit, I’m assuming you had a connecting door to the studio and the noise was from that unit, correct? Apparently there are several studio units without a connecting door, but I’m unsure if the same is true with a 1bed. Sadly, the connecting door is too thin and there’s a gap at bottom so any noise just passes through. It’s a design failure...I don’t know any other way to look at it, and they could fix if they wanted. But, like Nanea’s shuttle beeping due to lack of foresight in allowing space to turn around I highly doubt the management will do anything, ever. I’d like to be proved wrong. This noise issue is another where actions speak louder than words, and I’m not at all interested in any statement from management other than “it’s fixed.”

The noise was not from the studio LO - I am not sure there was anyone in the studio next to us.

The noise was thru our bedroom wall from the 2Bd unit - from what I assume was their bedroom. I tapped on the walls the next day, and they sounded hollow. They really should put sound dampening insulation when they converted the units.

It was easy to hear any sound coming from the the 2Bd unit. Robin could hear the child whimpering - which kept her awake (mother instinct).

We made up the sofa bed for the next night in case we needed it. At 4am - we did when the crying began.

I met a couple of other people who also said they could hear their neighbors thru the walls. I made this problem known in my feedback - and also the scalding hot water and slipper tiles on shower floors as these are safety issues.

0b1a54af3f630d72a0b1d8e0c2452247.jpg

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Someone please remind me: is Sheraton Kauai being marketed through Sheraton Flex (and if not, how)?

Because if it is, based on Ken's and David's reviews, it will disappoint those who buy Sheraton Flex with the expectation of using it for the wonderful, relaxing Hawaii trips described in the brochure.

And based on Robert's (controller1) comments about reserving Sheraton Riverfront (see https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/westin-flex-purchase-questions-help.296135/page-2 (post #31)), the lack of Sheraton Flex inventory there will also leave purchasers unhappy.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Someone please remind me: is Sheraton Kauai being marketed through Sheraton Flex (and if not, how)?

Because if it is, based on Ken's and David's reviews, it will disappoint those who buy Sheraton Flex with the expectation of using it for the wonderful, relaxing Hawaii trips described in the brochure.

And based on Robert's (controller1) comments about reserving Sheraton Riverfront (see https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/westin-flex-purchase-questions-help.296135/page-2 (post #31)), the lack of Sheraton Flex inventory there will also leave purchasers unhappy.

Sheraton Kauai is not currently in the Sheraton Flex program.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)

There is no Sheraton Riverfront. It is a Westin and it is in Westin Flex (which is different from Sheraton Flex). It might be good to learn about the systems and what is in them before mindlessly bashing them.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

There is no Sheraton Riverfront. It is a Westin and it is in Westin Flex (which is different from Sheraton Flex). It might be good to learn about the systems and what is in them before mindlessly bashing them.

And for the record, this was my comment:

@hanaleihaze I'm a Westin Flex owner and I can tell you it is very difficult to make a reservation at Westin Riverfront at the 12-month mark during June/July/August. I tried for about ten days exactly at midnight Eastern time to make a reservation before I was successful. Very little Riverfront inventory in the Flex program. If you really want Riverfront, buy Riverfront instead of Flex.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Obviously I have conflated the two programs creating some confusion. However, the two programs are more similar than different -- each is a repackaging of generally less desirable VOI's at existing properties (each has a disproportionate number of mud weeks, summer desert weeks, and island views on Hawaii). But I have no horse in this race; I'm not buying either.

Last edited:

mindy35

TUG Member
Reaction score
We decided to add a 4 night stay here to check it out prior to our week in Princeville. Granted, we booked it only 3 months ahead so we did not really expect to get a high priority room but what we did get was a bit ridiculous. On the ride up north, I was playing with the headline for what I would write here in this board.

“Sheraton Poipu is NOT of Westin SVO caliber by a long shot!” Was my most recent idea but when I saw this thread I stopped attempting to be inventive and thought I should just get to the meat of the matter.

We’ve all been waiting for additions to the Villa portfolio for so long and I think Westin owners will be sorely disappointed! I can’t imagine why ANYONE would buy here and have it be their home resort.

First, yes, the villa buildings are across the (small) street from the beach front resort. There are no ocean front and I doubt any ocean view units. Honestly, that did not bother me much as the access through the hotel was short and easy. Only one building is currently occupied as the others are still under construction but they say the others will open soon. We did not hear any construction except for from the street repair. We visited at what must have been a very slow time of the season (end of sept-early oct) as it looked like the villas were only 60% occupied. Parking lots were empty and even the local restaurants were observing how slow it was.

We arrived 2 pm and were told the usual line - “checkin time is at 4 and we will call your cell when your room is ready”. Seriously......I hate that! It was a Wednesday and more than half of the rooms were empty and dark during our entire stay. And the bummer was that they forgot to call.....I finally called at 5:30....was put on hold for 10 minutes and then told “oh yes....come on over and get your key whenever you like”. I am confident the room was ready at 2:15 if not before!!!! What a waste of time.

First, I will say ditto to Ken555. He laid it out very well. Thanks for your review Ken.

We were assigned the 7_02 room. As I now see from the chart posted above, it is one of the smaller 1 bedroom units but I did not know that when we arrived or I would have complained. I thought they were ALL that ridiculously small and poorly laid out:

-You walk in the front door and the bathroom sinks are literally IN the kitchen!!
-There is no dining table (either in the unit or on the Lanai)....just 2 counter stools under a counter under the TV.

(Photos attached below but I regret not taking a shot of the bedroom portion of this particular villa )

-when you sit on the couch and look to the left.....you are looking directly into the WC/shower which is adjacent to the front door.....only separated by a small carved wooden divider
-the King sized bed in the attached “bedroom” basically takes up the WHOLE room! Not even room for nightstands that could hold a lamp. The large TV is mounted to the wall. There is a TINY wardrobe that has enough room for 4 hangers. No closet or dresser with drawers. There was absolutely no place to unpack a suitcase or even set the suitcase so you could live out of it. We had to choose between using the kitchen counter and the stools designed for eating or relinquish the sofa for our entire stay.
-everything was new and clean and esthetically pleasing but of poor quality. Even compared to what is stocked in the Westin units.
-WiFi in the units and around the property is intermittent and unpredictable. We were unable to sign onto a sensitive work computer that requires a secure connection and our Apple devices were very confused.
-no jacuzzi on the villa side

We were not sad to depart and arrive for our highly anticipated week at Westin Princeville! We love it here! And......low and behold......we were surprised to find that our room was available when we checked in at 1pm!!!

We, of course, refused the Owners update at the Sheraton as we would NEVER consider adding this property to our “current portfolio”. What a shame, since Poipu would be a nice addition to the Kaua’i offerings. I guess we will have to check out the Marriott or Hyatt options in the area.
7FDD08C3-5FBB-4A40-9DCF-0189FF27721C.jpeg
59EDD81A-1191-4B99-8174-804E900C8325.jpeg

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Great review - that place is a MESS.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We were assigned the 7_02 room. As I now see from the chart posted above, it is one of the smaller 1 bedroom units but I did not know that when we arrived or I would have complained. I thought they were ALL that ridiculously small and poorly laid out:

FWIW, you had the standard 1-bed. There is no larger or smaller 1-bed at this resort. The larger units on the floor map are 2-bed units.

Sorry to hear that you had a poor stay. Sadly, I’m not at all surprised by your review.

mindy35

TUG Member
Reaction score
But I do see your photos that include dressers in the bedrooms and (albeit small) dining tables in the living room? Ours could not fit even those items. And our room was much more narrow than your photos. The square footage was more like a studio than a 1 bedroom. We are in a studio here in Princeville now that is much more spacious.

We do like the south shore and enjoyed the beach at the hotel while we were there so I will say we made the best of our stay. Life’s to short not to count our blessings that we were still in HI

We were more disappointed of what is being presented as a new Vistana offering that we will not be considering in the future and wanted to let others know lest they will be equally disappointed.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
But I do see your photos that include dressers in the bedrooms and (albeit small) dining tables in the living room? Ours could not fit even those items. And our room was much more narrow than your photos. The square footage was more like a studio than a 1 bedroom. We are in a studio here in Princeville now that is much more spacious.

We do like the south shore and enjoyed the beach at the hotel while we were there so I will say we made the best of our stay. Life’s to short not to count our blessings that we were still in HI

We were more disappointed of what is being presented as a new Vistana offering that we will not be considering in the future and wanted to let others know lest they will be equally disappointed.

I posted pics from the studio and the 2-bed. I did not see a 1-bed unit. I believe someone also posted a pic from Vistana of the 1-bed which matches your description.

The studio is much smaller than the 1-bed you had. Crazy, eh?

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Every time I read this thread I want to consider changing a reservation to princeville. I Booked my 24 yo son and his girlfriend a one bedroom for three night during spring break. I just feel like the weather would be better in march on the south shore and I like the beach there. Considering he is 24 and is staying for free I figure he wont be as disappointed as us more experienced travelers.

Is this resort so bad that I should move them to the north shore and risk the rain?

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every time I read this thread I want to consider changing a reservation to princeville. I Booked my 24 yo son and his girlfriend a one bedroom for three night during spring break. I just feel like the weather would be better in march on the south shore and I like the beach there. Considering he is 24 and is staying for free I figure he wont be as disappointed as us more experienced travelers.

Is this resort so bad that I should move them to the north shore and risk the rain?

I wouldn't change the reservation to Princeville. For the reasons you stated (the south shore, 24-year-old, free accommodations) the Sheraton will be fine. You are correct about the weather in Princeville: it can be very dicey in March (rain, wind), they have no beach to walk to, and it is rather isolated compared to Poipu. However, for the reasons you stated (above), one could also make the argument for Princeville. It's a nice resort. It was purpose-built as a timeshare, rooms are lovely, which makes it far nicer than the Sheraton.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

I am sure he and his girlfriend will be delighted. We stayed at Hyatt Regency Kaanapali when we were 24 YO in a bottom floor parking lot view room. I believe we could see the trash bin from the room. We were over the moon to be in Hawaii and spent our time at the pool and beach.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am sure he and his girlfriend will be delighted. We stayed at Hyatt Regency Kaanapali when we were 24 YO in a bottom floor parking lot view room. I believe we could see the trash bin from the room. We were over the moon to be in Hawaii and spent our time at the pool and beach.

I agree - they will likely love Sheraton Kauai - we are biased because we have comparisons to other timeshares.

We rented one if those beachside 2-person cabanas ($75/day) in front of Main pool - totally worth it for people watching (surfers, and tourists getting wiped out by wave action).

b97c144b37ceb6d3e86b4234ddc86a13.jpg

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
$75 for a cabana is a great price. They go for $400/day for a 4 person at the Grand Wailea on Maui and $150 at WKORV.

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
Those that have stayed here, would you say there is a preferred building and floor? Top floor, building 8?

SChiam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WKORV, Marriott Newport, KoOlina, Waiohai. Hilton Elara & Boulevard
We stayed at the 1-bd unit in 2018 (Sheraton Kauai). I agreed that it’s not worth using 81000 star options. It’s very small compared to WKORN and location not optimal. But with the new Abound, it’s roughly 50% of Abound points compare to WKORN (1-bd: 1950 Sheraton Kauai and 3900 WKORN). We like Waiohai, closer to snorkeling but only 2-bd, no lock off. We stayed at Marriott Kauai earlier this year and I like the parlors room, free shuttle to the airport, easy access around Lihue with local buses (50 cent per ride, no need for car rental). With new Abound, I’m looking forward to spend a few nights at Westin Princeville in the summer months. I’m happy with lots of choices at Kauai with Abound.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
It still cracks me up that Westin will use up all that space for their heavenly tubs. Water is really expensive on Hawaii and I confess I've only ever used the tubs to soak my snorkeling equipment before packing them up for the plane ride.
Every time I see one of those tubs they annoy me; so many other things they could have done with the space and I wonder how many people really every use them and how many times. (Me, never.)

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Every time I see one of those tubs they annoy me; so many other things they could have done with the space and I wonder how many people really every use them and how many times. (Me, never.)
Exactly. Every time I see the big tub in Westin or Marriott, it really annoys me. No one is using it, and if you are using, it is such a waste of water and resource. I always dump my dirty laundry in the tub or snorling stuffs there whole week. Such a waste of space. I especially hate that tub in Westin Nanea, such a poor design.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I enjoy these tubs and use them a lot when on vacation.

PXL_20220908_224926961.jpg