• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nevada `court policy' is blocking our timeshare sale (really?)

Ruddigore

Reaction score
Hello TUG,

Can anyone confirm the following information that has been explained to me by the Legal Department at the Florida head office of our timeshare company:

We were well along the process of returning our Las Vegas timeshare to these folks in Florida by using their “Deed Back Program”.

My wife is ill and unable to sign documents, but fortunately we have a (Canadian) Enduring Power Of Attorney document that authorizes me to sign on her behalf. The legal department at the timeshare company headquarters says that Power Of Attorney documents are not acceptable in “the courts” in Nevada. The specific issue seems to be that our signatures on the POA were witnessed by our Estate lawyer/attorney and his legal secretary which are not acceptable to the Nevada courts –> the document would have been acceptable if our signatures had been witnessed by a Notary Public.

The legal department at the timeshare company offered us a `workaround’ that they usually use in Nevada -> they would send us an Affidavit specially created for Nevada courts, and my wife could mark an “X” in the presence of a Notary Public who would have to come to our home. Unfortunately my wife can no longer hold a pen, so this is not an option for us.

Please let me know if you have encountered this same restriction, or if you have any other insights to share.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It is not unusual that US timeshares require a US notary to do any kind of transfer.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could call a notary and ask if they have any suggestions? I wonder if the notary would let you make the X based on the power of attorney. (I'm not a lawyer, I'm just trying to think how this situation might be handled.)

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
A common problem with foreign nationals dealing with US institutions is that they have tailored their processes to be US centric only and fail to acknowledge the rest of the world exists.

Are you still paying MF's.? If not I'd consider it their problem to deal with and inform them of such.

If you are, then I'd ask the collective wisdom of TUG what are the consequences of a non US citizen defaulting. Probably little or none from prior readings here.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
A common problem with foreign nationals dealing with US institutions is that they have tailored their processes to be US centric only and fail to acknowledge the rest of the world exists.

Are you still paying MF's.? If not I'd consider it their problem to deal with and inform them of such.

If you are, then I'd ask the collective wisdom of TUG what are the consequences of a non US citizen defaulting. Probably little or none from prior readings here.

As if the rest of the world doesn't do the same thing in their neck of the woods. Blaming US institutions for following US law is utterly ridiculous.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

The process to collect debt from a Canadian living in Canada when the company owning the debt is from the USA is this USA based company has to get a judgement in the USA and then has to take that judgement to a Canadian court to get the judgement acknowledged. It is a really long process that doesn't mean that the judgement will ever be paid, meaning most small debts are not pursued in Canada that originate in the USA. Especially so regarding a timeshare maintenance fee, imo.

Bill

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
By definition in most provinces an attorney is recognized as being equivalent to having notary powers. I suspect the lack of Canada being part of the Apostille Convention might play a role here. Even if it was a notary public it might not be recognized by US jurisdictions. We had to go to a US consulate when we purchased one of our timeshares as Hawaii would not recognize a regular notary or attorney in having our signatures witnessed. The other alternative was to go through a process called "authentication" which would have taken longer.

You should see if this is the issue. If so, you may be able to get the lawyers signature authenticated instead of having to get a second document notarized.

Perhaps this will help:

https://www.international.gc.ca/wor...ge/authentication-authentification/index.aspx

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
By definition in most provinces an attorney is recognized as being equivalent to having notary powers. I suspect the lack of Canada being part of the Apostille Convention might play a role here. Even if it was a notary public it might not be recognized by US jurisdictions. We had to go to a US consulate when we purchased one of our timeshares as Hawaii would not recognize a regular notary or attorney in having our signatures witnessed. The other alternative was to go through a process called "authentication" which would have taken longer.

You should see if this is the issue. If so, you may be able to get the lawyers signature authenticated instead of having to get a second document notarized.

Perhaps this will help:

https://www.international.gc.ca/wor...ge/authentication-authentification/index.aspx

Just want to point out that a notary is different in the US than it is in Canada and many other foreign countries. Here a notary is NOT usually a lawyer. The notary confirms that the person who signs is who they say they are.

https://www.nationalnotary.org/knowledge-center/about-notaries

What Does A Notary Do?
A Notary's duty is to screen the signers of important documents for their true identity, their willingness to sign without duress or intimidation, and their awareness of the contents of the document or transaction. Some notarizations also require the Notary to put the signer under an oath, declaring under penalty of perjury that the information contained in a document is true and correct. Property deeds, wills and powers of attorney are examples of documents that commonly require a Notary.

And from the same website:
What A Notary Is Not
Unlike Notaries in foreign countries, a U.S. Notary Public is not an attorney, judge or high-ranking official.