• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sonder Airbnb

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
https://www.wsj.com/articles/this-d...shareToken=st80c30a3737d44c18b1da9cbfdb382852

This article discusses corporate-owned (Sonder) Airbnb purchase of an entire apartment building in Dallas.

I recently traveled to London and stayed in a Sonder property while there. It was AMAZING. Renting an Airbnb from a major company, where rentals is their business, was super-reassuring to me.

My rental was beautifully and thoughtfully furnished. I had a very spacious one-bedroom condo / apartment type unit in an absolutely perfect location on London.

I see these types of properties as being an excellent alternative to timeshares -- particularly in urban locations.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have found Meriton Serviced Apartments in Sydney (many locations in cities around Australia) and Waldorf Serviced Apartments in New Zealand. They are priced by the night and are a great analog to timeshare apartments in urban areas. No buy-in and our experience was that they are modern, clean (no old hand-me-down furnishings like some BnB's have). Before booking a hotel room in an urban area, search using rhe term 'serviced apartments'. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Jim

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have found Meriton Serviced Apartments in Sydney (many locations in cities around Australia) and Waldorf Serviced Apartments in New Zealand. They are priced by the night and are a great analog to timeshare apartments in urban areas. No buy-in and our experience was that they are modern, clean (no old hand-me-down furnishings like some BnB's have). Before booking a hotel room in an urban area, search using rhe term 'serviced apartments'. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Jim
My experience was outstanding. And my savvy travel companion booked directly with Sonder (vs Airbnb) and wrangled a discount as there was no commission being paid to Airbnb.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sadly, I don't like these trends. Many of these websites were setup to facilitate rental transactions between private individuals and in turn facilitate big companies consolidating and competing against those individuals. For someone just renting a single unit, it is hard to compete against a big corp with hundreds or dozens of units. An entire complex being rented out as individual units on Airbnb wasn't really the initial intention of the platform, but they will happily let the big companies swoop in to push out the little guy. I think of Airbnb when it started as Americas downtown. Then quite quickly the big guys moved in (Walmart) and started crushing the small competition. The same thing happened with YouTube. It started with YOU in the name, but many of the very large channels are mega companies with hundreds or thousands of employees. They even pritizie corporate journalism over the independent. If you want to rent a unit from a big corporation, there are alternatives. JMO.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
And this is why in many areas/states there’s no “affordable” housing for average people to live in. Everything being bought up by these big companies for tourism.

Brett

Reaction score
And this is why in many areas/states there’s no “affordable” housing for average people to live in. Everything being bought up by these big companies for tourism.

and why in many suburbs there is a shortage of "affordable" housing

What Happens When Wall Street Buys Most of the Homes on Your Block?​

As investors pluck up starter homes and convert them to rentals, residents are being forced to grapple with what the changes mean for their communities.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/09/16/realestate/home-sales-north-carolina-wall-street.html

"As investors pluck up starter homes and convert them to rentals, residents are being forced to grapple with what the changes mean for their communities.

Large, national single-family rental companies were born of the 2008 foreclosure crisis, plucking up distressed properties in the nation’s hardest-hit communities. During the pandemic-era housing market, these companies saw their profits soar as rents increased by double-digit percentages and home prices rose at their fastest clip in U.S. history"

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
That's good to hear as my friends and I have 2 Sonder managed properties booked. One in MOntreal and one in Ottawa.

We stayed 5 nights in a Sonder owned / managed 2 bedroom in Mexico City last Feb.
[~ 25% of the building was Sonder ]

Good unit / no issues .

We flew over and back from Puerto Vallarta on Viva Aerobus