• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is walking a reservation dead?

TDub1313

Reaction score
I’ve read a lot about walking a reservation and thought I was up to speed. Clearly not. I was able to book 4 nights and was attempting to stretch it to 7 and then “walk” the whole thing for several days. I tried chrome, IE, safari and the app. All I get are errors. I called CS but they close at the time that reservations for a new day open. How is it possible to walk a reservation? I’ve read numerous threads about “being up at 12am,” but nothing seems to work. Am I supposed to call CS in the morning to get help? Which is fine, but the whole being up at 12am thing seems to be dead?

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
I’ve read a lot about walking a reservation and thought I was up to speed. Clearly not. I was able to book 4 nights and was attempting to stretch it to 7 and then “walk” the whole thing for several days. I tried chrome, IE, safari and the app. All I get are errors. I called CS but they close at the time that reservations for a new day open. How is it possible to walk a reservation? I’ve read numerous threads about “being up at 12am,” but nothing seems to work. Am I supposed to call CS in the morning to get help? Which is fine, but the whole being up at 12am thing seems to be dead?
HGVC website is going through upgrades right now and nobody will be able to walk the reservation right now. They tell us to keep calling in until this is resolved. I lost a good reservation in Hawaii because I could now call in fast enough

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

TDub1313

Reaction score
So the new thing for now is to call CS as soon as they open the next day?

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
So the new thing for now is to call CS as soon as they open the next day?
Yes. I couldn't call in Sunday because they were closed.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The change feature is working as long as the change is requiring less or the same number of points.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
The change feature is working as long as the change is requiring less or the same number of points.

That is kinda useless. Most of the time one wants to change a reservation to add a night, not to book another week or shorted your reservation. Every time HGVC makes a change to the system aspects of the system don't work since they don't test the system first off line the way users use the system. If they test the system at all they book a sample vacation and say oh well it works lets put it out for use!!!

I am so glad that I bought whole property in Honolulu so I don't have to rely on the quirky HGVC reservation system to work efficiently to get me a long vacation in Waikiki!!!

Bmoe

Reaction score
I'm sorry. What is "walking a reservation "?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I'm sorry. What is "walking a reservation "?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

It’s a method used to increase your ability to book hard to reserve resorts at hard to reserve times. Basically, you book 3 days to a week before you want to go and mover your reservation up one day until you get your desired reservation. Since there is a three day minimum for reservations, you are essentially blocking others from booking the dates you want. It does not work well for places where there are fixed weeks.

Here is a thread that explains it better: Walking a Reservation

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a thread that explains it better: Walking a Reservation

Thanks for finding and linking that. There is a lot of information here that can be found using easy and straightforward search terms. The search feature works quite well.

Also @Bmoe there are additional resources and pages available specifically to site Members that have a lot of useful information.

Cheers.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
There must be a lot of changes going on. I am having problems with the HGVC app and with the HHONORS app. I hope they get this corrected soon because I may need to make another reservation in the near future.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon

Unfortunately that’s the problem right now. Had to wait to add a weekend night for two days until I could drop 2 weekdays and keep the points exactly the same

So frustrating for everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
It’s been said earlier in another thread, but with the way it is now it is best to make a seven day reservation, if you can, and then walk it. That way it never changes the number of points required when you add and drop a day — unless you walk the line to a higher metallic level.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
It’s been said earlier in another thread, but with the way it is now it is best to make a seven day reservation, if you can, and then walk it. That way it never changes the number of points required when you add and drop a day — unless you walk the line to a higher metallic level.

That might work if in the interim others don't take the days that are available before you book your week and all you want is a weeks vacation. It doesn't work for my needs which are much greater than a weeks vacation.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
If the earlier days are there and one has the points, I guess you could walk 14 days or 21 as easy as 7. Good, grief ... that’s crazy.

That might work if in the interim others don't take the days that are available before you book your week and all you want is a weeks vacation. It doesn't work for my needs which are much greater than a weeks vacation.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If the earlier days are there and one has the points, I guess you could walk 14 days or 21 as easy as 7. Good, grief ... that’s crazy.

Walking 14 or 21 days is not a problem if one could even book the 14 or 21 in one shot. At the HHV that might be a challenge except for the very expensive point properties and larger units which one would need a huge point bank to do a long vacation.

As I said before, if you can't extend a reservation the system is useless for my needs. I will need to start to use the reservation system to extend reservations in a couple of months. If they don't fix it by then I will have 6 timeshares to sell immediately!!

I don't understand the HGVC managements toleration of Website Developers that they employ presenting systems for use that don't function properly like the previous system did. I wonder if they would tolerate a plumber to coming to their home to fix a leak and when the plumber left the water wouldn't come out of their kitchen faucet and then when the plumber returned it took weeks or months for the water to be fixed so it would come out of the kitchen faucet!!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the HGVC managements toleration of Website Developers that they employ presenting systems for use that don't function properly like the previous system did. I wonder if they would tolerate a plumber to coming to their home to fix a leak and when the plumber left the water wouldn't come out of their kitchen faucet and then when the plumber returned it took weeks or months for the water to be fixed so it would come out of the kitchen faucet!!

When even basic things like making and cancelling reservations didn't work (I consider walking and extending as second-order operations with lower repair priority, but still not OK to be out this long), I asked them several questions including "why was this rolled out apparently without adequate testing" and "why hasn't it been rolled back to a stable state until this is fixed." They answered some of my questions. Not those...

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When even basic things like making and cancelling reservations didn't work (I consider walking and extending as second-order operations with lower repair priority, but still not OK to be out this long), I asked them several questions including "why was this rolled out apparently without adequate testing" and "why hasn't it been rolled back to a stable state until this is fixed." They answered some of my questions. Not those...

Cheers.

I don't agree with your suggestion that walking and extending reservations is second-order operations. Here is why. When you start up a timeshare booking system when HGVC was first established I can understand problems and at this point I will agree with your suggestion. You are doing something new for the first time that is always a challenge.

However, once you have a system that works why change it? OK you want to add additional features so do it off line and test it. Can it do everything that you could do before the changes? If not DON'T ROLL IT OUT, YOU HAVE A SYSTEM THAT WORKS!!!!!

OK you want to pay people to come up with a new system, do it off line and test it. Can the new system do everything that the old system? IF NOT DON'T ROLL IT OUT, YOU HAVE A SYSTEM THAT WORKS!!!!!

In my opinion, the second-order operation is making a change to a system that works. Why F--- with a system that works!!!!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We appear to be talking at cross purposes, so I'll just leave it at that.

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We appear to be talking at cross purposes, so I'll just leave it at that.

Cheers.

I don't think we are at cross purposes, I am just more disgusted with the HGVC website problem history than you are. You asked why they don't roll it back to a stable state. My question would be why did you mess with a system that was working fine!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think we are at cross purposes, I am just more disgusted with the HGVC website problem history than you are. You asked why they don't roll it back to a stable state. My question would be why did you mess with a system that was working fine!

They changed it because they want to add improvements. That they did not do a good job with the functionality is a separate, albeit important, issue. There are always improvements that can be made, and I would be disappointed with a site that remained static when things could be improved. It has gotten better over time, and I am glad that they make changes. Of course, I'm disappointed as well with this poor rollout, but I certainly want them to keep making changes, just do a better job of it next time. Trust me, I was quite annoyed when I couldn't even cancel a reservation, and I consider that a first priority item, as opposed to others that I do not consider so.

However, you are misinterpreting what I was referring to as a "second priority item," and that is what I meant by "cross purposes." You're talking about something different than I am.

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They changed it because they want to add improvements. That they did not do a good job with the functionality is a separate, albeit important, issue. There are always improvements that can be made, and I would be disappointed with a site that remained static when things could be improved. It has gotten better over time, and I am glad that they make changes. Of course, I'm disappointed as well with this poor rollout, but I certainly want them to keep making changes, just do a better job of it next time. Trust me, I was quite annoyed when I couldn't even cancel a reservation, and I consider that a first priority item, as opposed to others that I do not consider so.

However, you are misinterpreting what I was referring to as a "second priority item," and that is what I meant by "cross purposes." You're talking about something different than I am.

Cheers.

I apologize if I misrepresented what you referred to as a "second priority item". Therefore, I will state MY position on this issue.

I view a reservation system's functionality to make, cancel, and change a reservation(walk a reservation), as its PRIMARY FUNCTION. The previous version of the system accomplished that. Therefore, it didn't need improvement. If one wants to spend the time and money to "improve" the reservation system it should be done with the PRIMARY FUNCTIONS MAINTAINED 100%!! Anything short of that is UNACCEPTABLE for my standards. There is no "second priority" in the functionality. The second priority is making a change to a FUNCTIONAL SYSTEM.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was thinking about our differences of opinions on the repair priority of making, cancelling, changing and walking reservations. As in many instances our opinions are developed from our personal situation and where we are coming from.

We don't own where we stay and utilize our points to stay in Honolulu for a very long time. While at times we do make and cancel reservations we are constantly changing and walking reservations that we have made during the club reservation period to get the vacation we desire. Making and Changing Reservations incurs a fee; changing and walking reservations doesn't.

I understand that you own and utilize a significant number of points in NYC. Therefore, you can make reservations there during the owner priority period as well as having no reservation fee. Therefore, you can make and change as many reservations as you like without incurring a fee and you don't have to compete with all the HGVC club owners for availability during the owner priority period. Your reservation strategy to get the vacation you desire is clearly different than ours.

Aloha.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was thinking about our differences of opinions on the repair priority of making, cancelling, changing and walking reservations. As in many instances our opinions are developed from our personal situation and where we are coming from.

We don't own where we stay and utilize our points to stay in Honolulu for a very long time. While at times we do make and cancel reservations we are constantly changing and walking reservations that we have made during the club reservation period to get the vacation we desire. Making and Changing Reservations incurs a fee; changing and walking reservations doesn't.

I understand that you own and utilize a significant number of points in NYC. Therefore, you can make reservations there during the owner priority period as well as having no reservation fee. Therefore, you can make and change as many reservations as you like without incurring a fee and you don't have to compete with all the HGVC club owners for availability during the owner priority period. Your reservation strategy to get the vacation you desire is clearly different than ours.

Aloha.
I just added a day to my hawaii reservation. Hopefully it works for everyone now.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I just added a day to my hawaii reservation. Hopefully it works for everyone now.

This must have just been fixed (thanks for the heads-up) . I also have been able to add a day to my reservation for more points. I wasn't able to do this a few days ago.