• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest Airlines-No More Senior Fares

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have never looked for a senior fare on SW. Most of the time I use points for our flights anyway. And though some say the pre-boarding is abused, in all honesty I haven't seen that happen. I think you still need to get a special boarding pass (used to be a blue card) in order to pre-board for SW. P.S. Sometimes those "able bodied young people" really aren't. My younger dd broke her hip and had surgery. She wasn't in a cast, looked perfectly healthy, but needed wheelchair and pre-boarding.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have never looked for a senior fare on SW. Most of the time I use points for our flights anyway. And though some say the pre-boarding is abused, in all honesty I haven't seen that happen. I think you still need to get a special boarding pass (used to be a blue card) in order to pre-board for SW. P.S. Sometimes those "able bodied young people" really aren't. My younger dd broke her hip and had surgery. She wasn't in a cast, looked perfectly healthy, but needed wheelchair and pre-boarding.
Yes, absolutely. We have a friend who is epileptic but looks normal. She needs the wheelchair to keep her eyes closed when going down the jet way. Those joints and various patterns in the walls and lines on the floor messed with her head and caused her to seize one time, and that was all it took for her to realize she has to have a wheelchair to keep her eyes closed. And there are people who have had recent surgeries that you don't know about that are already stressing out about flying. Don't judge others because that could be you someday.

I also had a friend who had a severe kidney infection on Maui and took her regular flight home in terrible pan, even after she had antibiotics pumped into her a few hours before the flight. She was so miserable. She wouldn't take a wheelchair at first, and her husband said, "Oh, yes you will." Think of sitting on a plane with that much pain.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Usually found 'get away' fare cheaper than senior fare. Don't think I ever booked a Sr fare.
I wonder if one reason they are doing away with the Senior fares is that not that many people were booking them.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
They were not cheaper than the wanna get away fare

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
They were not cheaper than the wanna get away fare
Since I never booked one I don't know, but were they refundable? With SW I don't worry about the refundable part since if I have used miles and cancel they go back into my account, and if I've paid the money is there for me to use (for up to a year from purchase).

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are/were refundable when I booked for my elderly Mom. Cost was exactly the same as mine, and she wasn't allowed to pre-board, so I don't know what the purpose was supposed to be. Now I just book same as mine.

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know some people abuse the pre-boarding, but what's even worse is that as a result of this abuse, some SWA airport agents interact with those asking for pre-boarding in a needlessly accusing way. My mom really needs preboarding, but on two occasions the SWA agents were so rude, she would just prefer to avoid dealing with it.

RALnGA

TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2017.. We were flying from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta. When it was time to board they allowed those in wheelchairs to board 1st. There were 31, yes 31 Elders in wheelchairs boarding and all sat in the first 10 or so rows on the plane. When we landed in Atlanta again they allowed the Elders to go first and unload fist. Everyone else followed , getting off we noticed that it was about 25 wheelchairs and a SW employee just waiting for their passengers to get off, which were the first to get off but must have had miraculously been cured and were able to walk off the plane.
This past year I noticed that all wheelchairs and families with small children were allowed to board AFTER the Earlybirds boarded. So this may be one reason for Senior prices going away.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
In 2017.. We were flying from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta. When it was time to board they allowed those in wheelchairs to board 1st. There were 31, yes 31 Elders in wheelchairs boarding and all sat in the first 10 or so rows on the plane. When we landed in Atlanta again they allowed the Elders to go first and unload fist. Everyone else followed , getting off we noticed that it was about 25 wheelchairs and a SW employee just waiting for their passengers to get off, which were the first to get off but must have had miraculously been cured and were able to walk off the plane.
This past year I noticed that all wheelchairs and families with small children were allowed to board AFTER the Earlybirds boarded. So this may be one reason for Senior prices going away.
I'm not sure you can equate wheelchair assistance with seniors, and senior fares. Both my younger dd and my sil have used wheelchair assist (and I'm sure to look at them you wouldn't think either of them needed it) and they are young. So I personally hesitate to judge anyone who uses a wheelchair to get through the airport. My own mother was able to walk, but walking for distances, and mostly standing in line, were more than she could take.

I was under the impression that for SW at least, you needed to get a special preboarding pass to be able to board early. What is required to get one of those, I don't know.

RALnGA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can equate wheelchair assistance with seniors, and senior fares. Both my younger dd and my sil have used wheelchair assist (and I'm sure to look at them you wouldn't think either of them needed it) and they are young. So I personally hesitate to judge anyone who uses a wheelchair to get through the airport. My own mother was able to walk, but walking for distances, and mostly standing in line, were more than she could take.

I was under the impression that for SW at least, you needed to get a special preboarding pass to be able to board early. What is required to get one of those, I don't know.

What I was saying is everyone of these people were elderly (seniors) that seemed to know each other. Some or all may of needed a wheelchair. And as you know on SW there is no assigned seats so its hard to get a group to sit together. You can come to your own conclusion. But what I was getting at is the cost to SW to have 31 wheelchairs plus someone to accompany them. Then when they get to Atlanta there has to be another 31 wheelchairs waiting for them, which thy had in place when we landed, but only about 5 was used after everyone had gotten off the plane. My comment is not about people that in need of wheelchairs but how people abused the system. Which in turn drives prices up. Like I said this may not have anything to do with Senior Fares going away, but it sure doesn't help with keeping the prices down.

RAL

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does it cost any less to fly seniors then adults. At least kids weigh less and come as a package deal with adults. At buffets seniors eat earlier and less.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Does it cost any less to fly seniors then adults. At least kids weigh less and come as a package deal with adults. At buffets seniors eat earlier and less.
Interesting thought. I could see an argument for a surcharge for seniors, as they generally require more services / assistance than other age groups.

Kurt

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting thought. I could see an argument for a surcharge for seniors, as they generally require more services / assistance than other age groups.

Kurt

Probably right but unless all do it seniors would be turned off and bad press.