• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting to know Carlsbad

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We have spent the last week at Carlsbad Village Resort. It is just two blocks from Carlsbad By the Sea, the continuing care retirement community we will be moving to in a couple years. We are actually at the top of the waitlist, but have stepped aside to let others go ahead of us while we figure out the situation with my parents.

We have been walking up and down the streets of Carlsbad Village, checking out the shops and eateries. We've found the post office, the Farmer's Market, walkable eye doctors and dentists, the bank, a terrific card shop, and the vet (we joke we'll get a little red wagon to wheel the cats in their carriers to their appointments). We drove around and found Vons, Trader Joes and Macy's. Most importantly, I've found the See's candy store! We took the Coaster to Old Town San Diego, and realized that by transferring to the Trolly we can actually get within a couple blocks of Worldmark Balboa Park, so we'll try that sometime.

In Los Angeles all the stations air the network news at 6:30 during the week, so we watch Lester Holt on NBC. In Carlsbad I've enjoyed watching all three networks since NBC is on at 5:30, CBS at 6 and ABC at 6:30.

We toured the available units at the CCRC, to refresh our memories since it's been two years since we looked at them. We like the floor plan that has a separate dining area, but I am not certain I like the wedge/angled living room. We now are certain we don't want a ground floor unit -- JB Orange Cat would insist on becoming the official greeter cat. A higher floor, with the balcony/patio screened, will, we hope, dissuade him from wanting to visit. He's 12, and starting to grumble about our stairs, so hopefully he's slowing down some. Mocha is super shy, so no worries about her wanting to be where people are.

The walk along the beach is wonderful, especially because we have the choice of walking on the sand, or staying up on an esplanade area. Once we get moved in, we'll be able to use the elevator at the CCRC to come back up from the sand, rather than slog back up the stairs.

Since we were last on a tour of the CCRC, they've added a bistro area in addition to the formal sit-down-with-menu dining room. Rather than using a point for breakfast, two points for lunch or 3 points for meals in the main dining room (3 points allocated per day for meals), you could use 1/2 a point for a croissant breakfast sandwich, or a slice of pizza, or a point for soup and salad. We don't eat three meals a day, and sometimes like "linner" at 3pm, and certainly aren't up in time for breakfast unless we have doctors appts, so think the extra flexibility will work well.

I'm inspired to redouble my downsizing efforts, and start to look for projects that need addressing before we list the house. First things first is to get the plumber out on Monday to see why I found evidence of something dripping when I got the igloos out of the basement last Saturday and there were dried rusty drips on the lids.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Sounds lovely! Are you sure you want to wait to figure out things with your folks first? Was that always the plan?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Faith, sounds like a great place to live. Would that there were someplace comparable near-ish here. Need a room-mate?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Sounds lovely! Are you sure you want to wait to figure out things with your folks first? Was that always the plan?

We hadn't figured on Dad being on hospice care when it came time to move. Also hadn't figured that my sister would be living rent free with them but feel no obligation to stay home to make sure everyone was getting to grocery store and doctors appts now that neither of my parents can drive. I'm guessing we'll wait to see if once Dad is out of the picture (they constantly butt heads), will Hope stick around more often and be more conscious of Mom's needs. It's tough when Cliff, Mom, Dad are 81, 84, 86. I can't abandon my ailing parents, but at any point my husband will start showing the effects of aging too. I may have to insist that Mom comes to Carlsbad, even if it is an apartment or assisted living nearby, if my sister doesn't step up. We have room for all three of them in our current home, but when we bring that up it devolves quickly into a discussion of dying in their own home and not leaving until they are carried out by the coroner. When my mother tries to engage my sister in planning what to do when they have died, she refuses to want to think about it now.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Faith, sounds like a great place to live. Would that there were someplace comparable near-ish here. Need a room-mate?

Room mates have already been a topic of discussion! Any room mate has to come in with their own "buy in". As we did our research, that was always my question "when Cliff dies, can my (ne'er do well) sister move in?" Answer was always that the mover inner needed to have their own financial stake (FYI, when they allow us to buy in with a lump sum and then pay monthly for upkeep, they obligate themselves to take care of us forever, as long as the reason we run out of money isn't because we're gambling or giving it away; this is why we were turned down at another community-- too much age difference between me (63) and Cliff (81) and they were afraid I'd outlive my funds). I imagine there may be some ways to work around/with this situation since Hope is only two years younger and is my heir, but bottom line is the official answer is "no". In our research we've met at least two couples who moved in with spouses, spouses die, then they remarry within the community. Obviously they then move into one apartment so money is shuffled around somehow.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We love Carlsbad. Sounds like a great place to retire.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I need to drive over to Carlsbad Inn and check out the construction progress. We own there and have day use privileges but it’s pretty torn up currently.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I need to drive over to Carlsbad Inn and check out the construction progress. We own there and have day use privileges but it’s pretty torn up currently.

The large grassy area and hot tub are all intact. The pool is fenced off and they were draining it Thursday and Friday. We didn't hear any construction noise, but as we walked in the street behind the resort they were chipping stucco on the Elm side of the resort, and I wouldn't have wanted to have listened to that all day.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I live in Escondido and was unaware of this retirement community. It looks like a great location. Do they have underground parking for the residents? I might give them a call to get a feel for the buy-in.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Excited for you! I know the area well from my undergrad days at UCSD. While even younger, we used to regularly make the drive from OC to SD and we always looked forward to the fields of flowers blooming in the Carlsbad area. Back then you could see them from I-5, along with the greenhouses.

Don't forget the Del Mar race track is just down the road! That and the county fair were always a highlight each year.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I live in Escondido and was unaware of this retirement community. It looks like a great location. Do they have underground parking for the residents? I might give them a call to get a feel for the buy-in.

Yes, underground parking, and everyone gets a storage area which is on the same level.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Excited for you! I know the area well from my undergrad days at UCSD. While even younger, we used to regularly make the drive from OC to SD and we always looked forward to the fields of flowers blooming in the Carlsbad area. Back then you could see them from I-5, along with the greenhouses.

Don't forget the Del Mar race track is just down the road! That and the county fair were always a highlight each year.

We are up for any and all activities we can get to on the train or on the bus from the "old folks home"!

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
The Mexican restaurant at Carlsbad Village Inn was for years Fidel's Norte and wonderful. Haven't heard since it became just Norte, but if you like Mexican food please check it out for us.

The "old" library is indeed walkable from your locations, but have you been to the "new" one on Dove St? This is just off El Camino Real so you'd need to drive or take a bus. We call it the "new" library because we left Carlsbad in 1989 but it must be at least 20 years old by now. It's probably 5 times as big as the one on Elm (er, Carlsbad Village Drive, another post-departure change).

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
The Mexican restaurant at Carlsbad Village Inn was for years Fidel's Norte and wonderful. Haven't heard since it became just Norte, but if you like Mexican food please check it out for us.

The "old" library is indeed walkable from your locations, but have you been to the "new" one on Dove St? This is just off El Camino Real so you'd need to drive or take a bus. We call it the "new" library because we left Carlsbad in 1989 but it must be at least 20 years old by now. It's probably 5 times as big as the one on Elm (er, Carlsbad Village Drive, another post-departure change).

We've eaten at "just Norte" twice and had a good meal both times. Not sure Cliff will be welcomed back after dumping his leftovers in the foyer! I don't do libraries because it takes me too long to get through a book when I read just before bed (and I just bought 22 Bosch series paperbacks on eBay so I expect to unfortunately have to move those with us before reselling on eBay). The "old folks home" has a fiction library upstairs with the daily newspapers, and a non-fiction (and I think paperbacks) library downstairs. Something we learned on this trip is a big NO THANK YOU for any books we might want to donate, they prefer to buy new books with their budget (and they are all plastic covered like library books are). Will start working on Cliff again to give up 50 year old paperbacks.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Well of course nowadays libraries are about more than books. When I worked in Carlsbad a few years ago, I'd take my laptop to the library about once a week during lunch, and rip as many CDs as I could in 45 minutes. They have lots of DVDs too, and I enjoy reading a lot of magazines I'd never pay for....

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Have a great time. That are has been on my bucket list for awhile