• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Entry without Notice

Richierich2

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_5949.JPG
So we are staying at Kaanapli North and as we were out, we got a letter in our room.

Now normally at a hotel or timeshare if they leave us flyers they slip it under door. This one was left on our counter.

Has anyone had this done to them?
I know when it's a cleaning day, I can put out that do not disturb. But did not think I needed to have it on 24-7.

We had phones and jewelry out and not really comfortable having people in our room.

Am I over reacting?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Strange, we have always had notices place on the outside of the door and to the entry lobby doors to the ts complex at the Marriott's Manor Club in Williamsburg, VA.

Plus, the resort staff always leaves a voice message on our telephone, about the villa updates from the maint. staff .

To the OP, did you called the front desk or someone in management to express your concerns ?

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
There’s a reason they put safes in the units. At any given time, maintenance has the right to enter your unit, so if you don’t use the safe, shame on you.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I believe you are over reacting. If you had your DND sign on then yes you would have an issue.

We keep our DND sign on at all times except on cleaning days or when we call for housekeeping or maintenance services.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There’s a reason they put safes in the units. At any given time, maintenance has the right to enter your unit, so if you don’t use the safe, shame on you.
Even if you don't and someone steals your stuff, it is still shame on them and shame on the resort for employing them.

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
Yes, but let’s not read in to this anything negative. The poster stated that staff entered his room phones and jewelry were out and nothing is missing. All I’m saying is that if there is a leak or a smoke detector or other issues, maintenance always has the right to enter your unit whether there’s a do not disturb sign or not. There is really no reason for anyone to leave jewelry sitting out even with a do not disturb sign on the door.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
And many facilities have policies that a staff person must physically enter a room no less than every 24 or 48 hours. That became a particular after the Las Vegas mass shooting, where the shooter had filled the room with armaments, then kept the DND sign out for days so the hotel wouldn't know what he was up to. The facilities also need to be sure there isn't someone in the room who is in serious need of medical or who being held under nefarious circumstances.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
It's a shame you never bothered to contact the front desk first so we could hear both sides of the story.

Last edited:

farinc

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 14558 So we are staying at Kaanapli North and as we were out, we got a letter in our room.

Now normally at a hotel or timeshare if they leave us flyers they slip it under door. This one was left on our counter.

Has anyone had this done to them?
I know when it's a cleaning day, I can put out that do not disturb. But did not think I needed to have it on 24-7.

We had phones and jewelry out and not really comfortable having people in our room.

Am I over reacting?

I was staying at the Marriott Royal Palms once and I returned to my unit to find the door open and a cleaning lady inside.

Facts: I always keep the DND on my door after checking in. I had a two week reservation and I had been there a week. I always tell the front desk upon check in that I will not need housekeeping during my stay.

Results: I asked the cleaning person why they were in my unit and she said that I was on the departure list. I then asked her to leave and I called management. Also, she had made herself at home eating my fruit and I subsequently discovered that a heirloom, late 1800s, one-of-a-kind, 24k gold and emerald ring that my father had given me (that his father had given him) was missing. The long/short is I never saw the ring again and it was the only personal item that I had from my father. I should have involved the police to impress upon Marriott how serious this was but I didn’t. They of course said they’d investigate the matter and speak with anyone who had entered the room during my stay, which opened up other questions because of my DND sign from day one. So yes, always keep important items locked up in the safe or luggage regardless of a DND sign. Remember, most of hotel cleaning staff are on the lower socio-economic rungs of society and the difference in a vacationer’s status and theirs is “in their face” quite extraordinary. It’s sad to say but the temptations are always there for them and one must do everything possible to reduce one’s risk factors. This is why I don’t want anyone entering my room during my stays.

Last edited:

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
...I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread:

1) Resorts ALWAYS have the right to enter your room as they see fit - a DND sign on the door doesn't preclude them from doing this and at most might result in a longer courtesy knock before they do so;
2) As has been pointed out, MANY resorts and hotels now have a rule that a staff member must enter the room at least once every 24 hours (regardless of a DND sign). The Disney timeshares now include a note in the room that trash will be taken out every day and the room checked;
3) If you have valuables you are concerned about, you should always lock them in the safe or keep them with you. Aside from staff entering, most room door systems are electronic and subject to attack. This is why we also always use the physical locks whenever inside our room.

Bottom line: You should always assume your room is accessible to staff at all times and take care of your belongings accordingly.

Richierich2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree I over reacted.

I agree that we have learned our lesson about not putting items of value away even if we are just going to pool.

That being said would not leave a family heirloom in room, nor cash out AT any time. Jewelry was what she had taking off that day. Often my wife will leave wedding ring at home and wear a simple diamond band if she thinks it will come off her finger for any reason. (Or our of country).

I will now put out DND. Lesson learned.

Just really irritated they entered the room to leave a flyer about them entering room (after we check out). About 3 hours later left our folio review under door.

Did call front desk to alert them that we were not happy about them entering room needlessly. I was down at BBQ cooking steak, so my wife spoke to them, they just stated please let them know if anything was missing.

Thought we had more rights because it was timeshare but now we know better.

Last edited:

gdrj

Reaction score
I was staying at the Marriott Royal Palms once and I returned to my unit to find the door open and a cleaning lady inside.

Facts: I always keep the DND on my door after checking in. I had a two week reservation and I had been there a week. I always tell the front desk upon check in that I will not need housekeeping during my stay.

Results: I asked the cleaning person why they were in my unit and she said that I was on the departure list. I then asked her to leave and I called management. Also, she had made herself at home eating my fruit and I subsequently discovered that a heirloom, late 1800s, one-of-a-kind, 24k gold and emerald ring that my father had given me (that his father had given him) was missing. The long/short is I never saw the ring again and it was the only personal item that I had from my father. I should have involved the police to impress upon Marriott how serious this was but I didn’t. They of course said they’d investigate the matter and speak with anyone who had entered the room during my stay, which opened up other questions because of my DND sign from day one. So yes, always keep important items locked up in the safe or luggage regardless of a DND sign. Remember, most of hotel cleaning staff are on the lower socio-economic rungs of society and the difference in a vacationer’s status and theirs is “in their face” quite extraordinary. It’s sad to say but the temptations are always there for them and one must do everything possible to reduce one’s risk factors. This is why I don’t want anyone entering my room during my stays.

Wow, so I guess only lower socio-economic rungs of society are thief's, good to know.

Also a DND sign is not a force field preventing people from coming in.

2 weeks and no housekeeping...hmmm

I checked into a hotel for business late afternoon, dropped of my bags and went to dinner with colleague. Came back and hour later and computer was gone. Hotel had a number of guests with that issue. Apparently one of those socio-economic "rings" had a door reader that could reset locks in hotels, they were able to enter multiple rooms in less than a minute and hit a number of hotels in the area. Wouldn't think I would need to lock up computer (which hadn't been unpacked yet). It happens.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Wow, so I guess only lower socio-economic rungs of society are thief's, good to know.

That’s not what he said. Thieves come in all socioeconomic classes, but housekeepers are authorized to enter your room, so why tempt them, esp since they aren’t making a lot of money.

I usually put up the DND sign cause I don’t want housekeeping. Some housekeepers honor it and some don’t.

PS In recent years, I’ve really pared back on what I bring on vacation. I use the safe to lock up what little of value I do bring, which are my iPad, kindle, passport and wallet. My phone is always with me cause it doubles as my camera.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I checked into a hotel for business late afternoon, dropped of my bags and went to dinner with colleague. Came back and hour later and computer was gone. Hotel had a number of guests with that issue. Apparently one of those socio-economic "rings" had a door reader that could reset locks in hotels, they were able to enter multiple rooms in less than a minute and hit a number of hotels in the area. Wouldn't think I would need to lock up computer (which hadn't been unpacked yet). It happens.

Yikes, sorry to hear it.

When I travel, I always lock up my passport, excess currency, computer, backup drives, and any other valuable item. I hear from colleagues and friends who don’t and haven’t had a problem (one very successful tech entrepreneur I know even leaves his laptop open on the desk, though not on) and they don’t worry about it. I lock it up every time I leave the room. Call me crazy but it’s experiences like yours that make me continue to do so, and I don’t mind the extra effort knowing that there’s one more level of security for a thief to break into to get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In March we were staying at the Imperial in Hawaii. My husband and grandson had just left for the pool. I stayed in the room as I wasn’t feeling well and was napping in the bedroom. I heard a knock on the door but did not feel like answering it. Then I heard the door open and someone in the room. I left the bedroom to check and found a hotel employee in the living area. I inquired as to why he was there and he seemed flustered. He said he needed to use an outlet to plug in his vacuum as he needed to vacuum the outside hall. I was taken a back but allowed him to go out in the hall and bring in the cord. I was Not feeling well and was a bit fuzzy brained. He vacuumed the hall, retrieved the cord and left. A little later I went out in the hall and observed three outlets he could have used. I didn’t get a name but talked to the front desk and reported the incident. We couldn’t figure out who the guy was but it rattled me pretty good.