• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone tried Medifast's Optavia weight-loss program?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I just started five days ago. I would like to lose 60 pounds before our cruise next April with our son and daughter-in-law and little Bella, who will be 3 and a bundle of energy for sure. I know so many people who are doing it, including my sister and my neighbor. My personal coach has lost 70 pounds and is very close to goal. I saw the transformation over the last year. She looks fabulous!

It seems like an ideal program for many reasons, but most of all, the coaching is so great.

Here are some other things that come to mind on this program:

1) I don't have to think about what to eat each day, I can just grab a fueling and only have one meal to plan, and that is dinner.
2) There are 60 choices for my five fuelings per day. The choices will keep me honest because almost all are delicious. I have about 17 different fuelings in my cabinet now, actually.
3) I have never eaten food six times a day, even though I know that is recommended for a healthy lifestyle, and this is a plan for me to change all of that.
4) I like eating my lean and green meal and can do many different meats, even if Rick and my stepdad (who eats with us every night) eat something different. So I can cook a salmon or ahi tuna steak while they eat their lasagne or other carb meal.
5) Salad is easy, yummy and even cheap to eat for my lean and green vegetable, especially with cucumbers!
6) Going out to eat is not too difficult because I can weigh my protein (5-7 ounces each night) with a portable scale I take in my purse. I can also bring my own light salad dressing.
7) Last but not least, I love the literature they send with the program. The book are excellent. I understand a lot more about why each diet results in failure. It's so clear to me.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I haven't personally tried this but my advice to anyone who is wanting to lose weight is not to do anything to lose weight that you're not willing to do to keep it off. Does this program have a process to transition you to maintenance? Seventeen years ago I lost 60 pounds, not for a special occasion, but for my health. I didn't care how long it took. It took me almost a year, but I have kept the weight off. I followed Weight Watchers which has been the only thing that has worked for me long term.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, there is a process to transition to regular meals.

I think food is used too much for comfort and for enjoyment. I need to learn to eat to live and not live to eat.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck. 60 lbs. is a lot, so don't be discouraged if it is less by cruise time. You will still enjoy the trip.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Patri and Luanne. I am looking forward to that cruise with the kids and our little Bella.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
15.5 pounds gone in 5 weeks and 2 days. Such a great program. You eat six meals a day, including one lean and green meal of meat (lots of choices) and green/healthy veggies. The other five meals are 110 calories each and are "fuelings." You buy those and choose from 60 different ones, so I eat five different fuelings every day. I don't obsess over food like I used to.

I will keep you all informed of my progress. I really want to lose 80 pounds ultimately, but sixty before our cruise/Europe trip in April would be ideal. My sister has been on the program a long time (about a year), and she has a metabolism similar to mine and has met her goal.

I have seen Marie Osmond's commercial so many times on Nutrisystem, and I would guess this program is similar. But I have a sister and a neighbor who are doing so well at this program and lost so much weight, I know this is going to work, and I love it and don't feel deprived.

On Weight Watchers, all I did was obsess over food. "What to eat today? Nope, cannot have that, cannot have that..." "Whoops, ate oatmeal for breakfast so no bread for lunch,"etc. The food is there, in the cupboard, might require a little cooking, but no thinking much about it. Love the bars, which are easy and portable.

I stayed on program at Disneyland. Ate my fuelings at the parks and even had grilled chicken and fajita vegetables at the park one day. So many good choices at the parks now. I had choices, including cauliflower tacos.

I cannot say enough about this program. I see a healthier nation with Medifast leading the way. Just have to say that. People are joining the Facebook group every day and report their weight losses there. One woman who lives close to me lost 117 pounds in 20 months. She is at goal. The last 20 pounds took her about six months to lose. As more people learn about it, I see the numbers of people using this program multiplying exponentially. It's that good. So different from Keto and Low-Carb, too.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Best of luck! Losing weight and keeping it off is very difficult. I know I have done it numerous times.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck. My two daughter-in-laws did this. They did lose quiet a bit of weight (about 20 each- they were definitely not overweight).

The issue/problem with any diet is that the changes need to be a lifelong commitment. They are doing okay. I think one better than the other. it's just before you know it, they are more or less back to their normal eating habits. This is with any diet/weight loss.

Go for it and wish you the best!!!!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lost 50 pounds (205 down to 155) over a 3 year period. First step was to cut out ice cream and alcohol, next was french fries. Gradually I changed my eating habits. And yes I also do something they say you shouldn't. I weigh myself every morning and adjust my day's food intake accordingly...

George

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
Cindy,
I just started on the Medifast diet about 10 days ago. My goal is also about 60-70 pounds. Biggest thing I noticed is my blood sugar immediately improved (I’m diabetic) and I’m having to drastically reduce my medication (thru my doctor). I didn’t realize there was a Facebook page. I’ll have to look for it. Good luck. We’ll have to check in with each other and see how it’s going. I don’t know anyone else on the program.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cindy,
I just started on the Medifast diet about 10 days ago. My goal is also about 60-70 pounds. Biggest thing I noticed is my blood sugar immediately improved (I’m diabetic) and I’m having to drastically reduce my medication (thru my doctor). I didn’t realize there was a Facebook page. I’ll have to look for it. Good luck. We’ll have to check in with each other and see how it’s going. I don’t know anyone else on the program.
The group is called strive4health, but there are multiple Facebook groups, depending on who is coaching you. It's Optavia by Medifast. How did you find the program? My doctor is going to be ecstatic that I found something that works. He is always hounding me to lose some weight and ease that pressure on my other hip. He really wants me to avoid another surgery.

I was pre-diabetic, too. That was a shock. I just found that out a few days before I jumped into the program. I had no choice but to change my life.

jadejar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Morritt’s Tortuga, Morritt’s Seaside, Royal Dunes, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Grande Ocean, Moon Palace
I hate to rain on anyone’s parade, but my husband and I both tried the Medifast program a few years ago. I lost about 50 pounds, he lost closer to 70. Our doctor and his wife were our coaches and had recommended the program. My husband even trained to be a coach for a while. After we had lost all our weight, we had to transition back to “real food”. It was not easy. We both gained all our weight back and more. So did everyone else we knew on the program. Our doctor and his wife eventually quit their association with the program too. My opinion, it is not sustainable weight loss for life.

Fast forward, I started the Code Red lifestyle in mid-January with a “10 pound take down” challenge. They say they can get at least 10 pounds off if you follow their plan for 30 days. I lost 19 pounds in the first 30 days. I lost 53 pounds in less than 8 months and have kept it off so far. It is much more sustainable for life. It focuses on eating real food, drinking a gallon of water a day, making sure you get at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night, and recording your morning weight every day. You eat from an approved foods list until you are full (from meat, vegetables, healthy fats, berries, seeds, nuts, some dairy). No sugar, processed foods, grains, alcohol. After you get to your goal weight, you can add back some things you had cut out, slowly and being mindful of any effect on your weight. That is the step I am currently at. There is a lot of support for maintaining your weight for life.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Optavia and Dr. Anderson have a plan for keeping the weight off. Many on our Facebook group have maintained their weight losses for two years and more. I am very optimistic. I would continue to eat this food, if I had to, to keep the weight off. I would move to the 3 and 3 and just stay there, if that is the only way I could keep it off.

I am different because I am 64 and I have tried a lot of programs. This is not my first try at low-carb, low calorie eating.

This is great.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Weight loss is about mindset and discipline and it must be for the long haul. You can fill in the blanks with any program or fad diet, it works as long as you are on it. If you blink and let that mindset and discipline slip away, you will gain all the weight back and more.

All the best in wanting to lose weight and losing it. It will be a lifelong challenge.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Weight loss is about mindset and discipline and it must be for the long haul. You can fill in the blanks with any program or fad diet, it works as long as you are on it. If you blink and let that mindset and discipline slip away, you will gain all the weight back and more.

All the best in wanting to lose weight and losing it. It will be a lifelong challenge.
Yes, absolutely. No more binges on sweets and bread. I will look forward to eating to live and not living to eat. I have grandchildren being born, even still. My youngest is 3.5 months old. Little Callan needs Grandma to dance at his wedding. :)

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
The group is called strive4health, but there are multiple Facebook groups, depending on who is coaching you. It's Optavia by Medifast. How did you find the program? My doctor is going to be ecstatic that I found something that works. He is always hounding me to lose some weight and ease that pressure on my other hip. He really wants me to avoid another surgery.

I was pre-diabetic, too. That was a shock. I just found that out a few days before I jumped into the program. I had no choice but to change my life.

Diabetes is definitely not fun! I hope you can get that turned around. I had to think for a moment about how I heard about the program and then I realized it was from your original post:clap: So thank you. I did some research after seeing it and decided to give it a try. After 2 weeks, I am down 11 pounds. So I’m pleased so far and hopeful for future results.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. No more binges on sweets and bread. I will look forward to eating to live and not living to eat. I have grandchildren being born, even still. My youngest is 3.5 months old. Little Callan needs Grandma to dance at his wedding. :)
My grand children are my inspiration to be the best I can be.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am starting on my diet today. We had a dinner function last evening and I looked awful in the first 3 tops which I tried on and finally wore my "fat" sweater. I have put on 5 pounds in the past month due to snacking on naughty food all day. My goal is to shed 12 to 14 pounds. What has always worked for me is to count calories. I use food selection and portion control to limit calories and I keep track of every item consumed on a daily log. My goal is to lose 1 pound per week so that by the end of the year I should be at my target weight. Thereafter is maintenance.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nine weeks in, 24 pounds off of this body. I am going to make my goal of 40 pounds lost by 1/1. I would love to lose it by Christmas day, but with my recent pace, it's not going to happen.

I have cleaned out the closet and have plenty of space for new clothes, but that won't happen until 70 pounds or more is gone. I truly want to lose 80 by 4/11/2020. If that happens, I will be ecstatic. I had four sizes in my closet, so I get rid of the biggest ones.

My loss has slowed a lot over the last few weeks, but I know that happens. Slow and steady wins the race.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Nine weeks in, 24 pounds off of this body. I am going to make my goal of 40 pounds lost by 1/1. I would love to lose it by Christmas day, but with my recent pace, it's not going to happen.

I have cleaned out the closet and have plenty of space for new clothes, but that won't happen until 70 pounds or more is gone. I truly want to lose 80 by 4/11/2020. If that happens, I will be ecstatic. I had four sizes in my closet, so I get rid of the biggest ones.

My loss has slowed a lot over the last few weeks, but I know that happens. Slow and steady wins the race.

Fantastic! You go girl!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fantastic! You go girl!
Thanks. I feel so good about this. I am never hungry and was never hungry before the diet. I was always one of those people who could eat sausage and eggs for breakfast and nothing until dinner without hunger in-between, but that basically means that my metabolism was extremely slow.

We are not going out to eat as much as we used to, which is basically paying for the program. It's about $400/month, but totally worth it.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

You are doing great! Congratulations

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are doing great! Congratulations
Thanks. Super positive about this program and I just know this is the absolute right journey for me.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Several years ago, I did a QVC 30 day special sale of NutraSystem boxed/dried foods. I did NOT renew for a 2nd month as my goal was to learn portion size and discipline.

I told my male co-worker I was going on a diet and I would be bitchy, as we eat lunch together every day. He told me his wife was always going on diets so "No Problem!".

I lost about 90+ pounds and have kept the weight off. My big meal is lunch with my male co-worker. I eat breakfast usually packaged instant oatmeal or 1/2 bagel with cream cheese plus coffee with sugar free creamer.

Bad side ... I had to buy smaller jeans. Good side ... my knees hurt way less and still no knee surgery.