• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

California bans hotels from using tiny plastic bottles

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Isn't this the State that a couple years ago said coffee was a cause of cancer?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Starting the first of this month, no more plastic straws unless you ask for one in CA. (I don't think I've seen a paper straw anywhere yet).But IMHO, if I'm in the drive through you'd better ask me if I want one because if I forget to ask for one for my iced tea, I'm going to go around again to get one. Simply no way to drive and sip without a straw. I stopped asking for straws for dine in a year ago or so. If they left me one, I'd use it, but now no straws without a request.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Isn't this the State that a couple years ago said coffee was a cause of cancer?

And then they backtracked on that.

And also the state that is fighting to keep the regulations for car manufacturers to have stricter regulations than the government feels necessary.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Starting the first of this month, no more plastic straws unless you ask for one in CA. (I don't think I've seen a paper straw anywhere yet).But IMHO, if I'm in the drive through you'd better ask me if I want one because if I forget to ask for one for my iced tea, I'm going to go around again to get one. Simply no way to drive and sip without a straw. I stopped asking for straws for dine in a year ago or so. If they left me one, I'd use it, but now no straws without a request.
I've been seeing paper straws quite a few places. I've seen them in Santa Fe, and most recently in NYC.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I am a heathen who drinks my water or ice tea from a glass without a STRAW :eek:. There is only one beverage I can see the need for a plastic straw - Milkshake - I remember trying to drink those with a paper straw when I was a kid.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
We live in central Canada and many places started the paper straw move more than a year ago. I agree with the concept of getting rid of the plastics but the paper straw solution is still not well implemented. I can’t figure this one out though since they can make waxed paper cups that hold drinks for days but can’t get a simple straw right yet. The paper straws start to fall apart after 5 minutes or so in a drink so unless you plan to drink quickly you’ll be sucking up pulp with those things.

My wife picked up a few sets of metal straws that she keeps in the car and purse. We simply wash them with the dishes each night and they are ready to go in the morning.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to a restaurant in San Francisco a few weeks ago and the straws were paper but they weren't the paper of my youth. I didn't open mine to begin with because I don't use a straw but my friends showed me the straw and it was, clearly, not plastic. It look and felt like smooth cardboard. I used the straw to drink a large iced tea and the straw was just as solid when I finished as when I had started. Not sure how it was made or of what what material, but it was definitely some form of paper.

Mcsteve, I love your idea of keeping the straws in your car! It is near impossible to drink a soft drink without a straw in the car and your wife hit on the perfect solution!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
In CA, and I always ask for a straw. My eldest son needs his straws so I bring plastics from home or buy when traveling.

Not too happy about the small bottles of shampoo and such. Many organizations who assist the homeless population, accept to donate. My state takes things too far w/our thoughtful consideration of how it will impact all populations of ppl.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
your wife hit on the perfect solution!

yes, she does enjoy reminding me of that from time to time on a variety of things. But in this case I would agree :clap:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
(I don't think I've seen a paper straw anywhere yet).

I got one just today at lunch. They’re fairly common now in ,coal restaurants. No issues with functionality, and it’s better for the environment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have hoarded those small bottles for years from timeshare and hotel visits so I have a nice supply for the few times we fly somewhere. But I got rid of the shampoo and conditioner ones because everywhere you go they supply that. I kept the body lotion ones, mouthwash, etc.

I do have a stainless steel straw but I always forget to take it with me.

In my day, we grew up with paper straws so I don't think much about them. I rarely ever buy a beverage out anyway. At a restaurant- again- we rarely eat out- it is usually water or wine. No straws needed.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
My wife picked up a few sets of metal straws that she keeps in the car and purse. We simply wash them with the dishes each night and they are ready to go in the morning.

I also keep a reusable one in my purse and a couple more in the little cooler we use for day trip picnics. I hope you also have a brush clean the insides of the straw. Last winter a friend in Belize kept complaining of sore throat. She drank water, mixed drinks and juice out of a stainless steel reusable straw and said she swished it in the dishwater every evening. I asked if I could look at it. When I held the straw up to the light and looked in I could see something coating the inside walls of the straw. I loaned her my straw brush and when we used it a bunch of mould came out! Gross!! She bought her own straw cleaner brush and hasn't had any more sore throats.

~Diane

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
My grandparents owned a cafe in Denver called The Rose Cafe, closed in 1970, and all they had was bottles of pop. No fountain, except the one where Grandma and my Aunt Ethel made milkshakes or served ice cream with toppings. What a neat place that was. Some of the 1950's diners you see around, that was the original. Grandpa came to Denver from the Nebraska farm after the depression with some money in his pocket and bought land and built the restaurant with his six boys and two daughters. It was the original diner, stools at the counter, soda counter in the middle of the u-shaped countertop. There were paper straws for the milk shakes. I would rather not use one of those, but the entire milkshake would undoubtedly hit my face occasionally and spill all over. No lids, either.

Disneyland had paper straws last week. They were fine.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
And then they backtracked on that.

And also the state that is fighting to keep the regulations for car manufacturers to have stricter regulations than the government feels necessary.

Also, apparently one of the few states, along with Indiana, Washington and the District of Columbia that forbids home burials. :shrug:

According to California law, anyone who "deposits or disposes of any human remains in any place, except in a cemetery, is guilty of a misdemeanor" and could face jail time or a fine up to $10,000.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
In my day, we grew up with paper straws so I don't think much about them. I rarely ever buy a beverage out anyway. At a restaurant- again- we rarely eat out- it is usually water or wine. No straws needed.
I find in restaurants I do like a straw with water. I don't always ask for one though. The reason is, the ice. Many times when I drink a beverage that has ice in it, for some reason the beverage kinds of goes all over the place. My dh always asks for a straw with his ice tea when he orders it out for that reason.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
have a brush clean the insides of the straw
I didn't know what those little brushes were for at first, they just appeared beside the sink one day. I just thought my wife had bought them for general cleaning of the dishes. She saw me using them one day cleaning out the lid for a travel mug and abruptly "advised me" of what they are for. It's amazing how much does not get cleaned out just by rinsing them.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
It's difficult to buy appropriate holiday gifts, so I had an idea. We live in California. So maybe this year I will put together and gift a "California survival kit." Here's what I've come up with so far (and any suggestions are welcome):

1. Reusable metal drinking straw (and cleaning brush, of course)
2. Hotel shampoo and lotion bottles - we can get these from our "collection" of mini-toiletries saved from our trips
3. Reusable shopping bag for the supermarket - those plastic bags that the markets used to pack groceries in have been forbidden for some time

Any other ideas? What am I forgetting? I'd love to add a few more items to the kit. (I did think about an MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) for when the next big earthquake or fire hits, but that's getting a bit too serious.)

And what item(s) do you think we are going to lose next? I have long thought that those plastic or styrofoam containers that restaurants use to pack your leftovers would soon be banned and replaced with containers made of recycled paper products, but so far this hasn't happened.

(Gas is over $4 a gallon in California, but I don't think that I want to gift a can of gasoline.)

----------------------------------

EDIT: decided to add a bottle of wine. That's for use after you've spent hours slogging through fierce traffic on the freeway.

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any other ideas? What am I forgetting? I'd love to add a few more items to the kit. (I did think about an MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) for when the next big earthquake or fire hits, but that's getting a bit too serious.)

I *love* this idea!! We have friends that use these all the time, for our CSA potlucks and other picnics, because they are trying to avoid single-use plastic cutlery. (The set in the link includes a straw and brush, too, but there are infinite variations on this theme available online.)

And I am surprised that CA hasn't banned styrofoam yet, as ME has already. Something like this would be kind of cool, esp. because they are collapsible (I have a Tupperware version that is similar.) https://www.amazon.com/Roaming-Cooking-Silicone-Collapsible-Containers/dp/B00YTH5GFY

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Oh, yes, I can see it now. Just as we have to bring our own bags to the grocery, maybe we'll have to bring our own containers if we want to take home any restaurant leftovers!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Oh, yes, I can see it now. Just as we have to bring our own bags to the grocery, maybe we'll have to bring our own containers if we want to take home any restaurant leftovers!
Some people already do this.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people already do this.

I am guilty as charged.

We take our own bags to grocery stores.
We take reusable containers to restaurants to place leftovers in and take reusable straws
We also do not use many plastic bags at home. We use reusable glass containers
I also make some purchasing decisions around the packaging.

None of this has been a burden on our lives and every little bit helps.