• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Social Security Anticipated Cost of Living Adjustment

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much of a raise should Social Security beneficiaries be expecting in 2020?

Oct 2019

The big day is coming, soon the Social Security Administration will release its 2020 update that highlights all of the changes to the Social Security Program in the upcoming year.

~ Among these changes is the highly anticipated cost-of-living adjustment, or COLA ~

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Should there be a link for this?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Miss Marty, please keep us informed. Thanks for sharing this information.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mr Google says this:

"
Social Security's 2020 COLA will likely be...
Last year, the average CPI-W reading in the third quarter was 246.352. But the two-month average for July and August of this year is 250.174. That's an increase of 3.822 points, or 1.55% from the previous year."

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Mr Google says this:

"
Social Security's 2020 COLA will likely be...
Last year, the average CPI-W reading in the third quarter was 246.352. But the two-month average for July and August of this year is 250.174. That's an increase of 3.822 points, or 1.55% from the previous year."
When I used Mr. Google I got three different numbers ranging from 1.5% to 2.6%.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talent312, I normally take my blood pressure reading in both arms.
It will for me always show two (2) different reading.
Numbers are liked some people, you will report what looks good for your mission. IMHO. LOL

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Increases in my Social Security are always eaten up by increases for Medicare Parts B and D. I end up with a declining amount every year. Of course without the increase the decline would be even larger...

George

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I used Mr. Google I got three different numbers ranging from 1.5% to 2.6%.

Yes probably, but did you look at the dates thereof. Mine was from 3 days ago, yours sound possibly current and from up to a year ago.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yes probably, but did you look at the dates thereof. Mine was from 3 days ago, yours sound possibly current and from up to a year ago.
Which source gave you your number? An official government site, or someone's prediction?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The estimated number found in on the internet is 1.6%. Nothing is official until it is official. ;)

For those of us new to this situation, is there anywhere that indicates yet how much Medicare Part B will change? My Medicare Part B premium is deducted from my SSA payment, and I'm wondering if it's likely I'll see an increase, or a decrease in the net payment.

Dave

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
For those of us new to this situation, is there anywhere that indicates yet how much Medicare Part B will change? My Medicare Part B premium is deducted from my SSA payment, and I'm wondering if it's likely I'll see an increase, or a decrease in the net payment.

Dave
"The Senior Citizen’s League has issued a new estimate for cost of living increases for next year, saying beneficiaries will get a 1.6% boost in 2020, compared to the 2.8% bump they saw this year.

In real world dollars and cents, that would increase the average retiree benefit of $1,460 by roughly $23.40 per month. In January of this year, those recipients saw a $40.90 increase to their Social Security benefits.

The official cost of living adjustment will be announced in under a month. However, says the League, the average increases over the past decade are less than half what they were between 2000 and 2009.

The good news, though, is Medicare Part B premiums will likely see an increase over the 2019 one. Those are expected to jump to $144.30 per month in 2020 from $135.50 this year.

“After the deduction for Part B premiums, that would leave the retirees with average benefits, roughly $15 per month more to cover all other rising costs which typically include higher Medicare supplemental and prescription drug insurance premiums and out-of-pocket costs,” the league said in a statement....."

I have found their estimates to be relatively accurate in the past.

Richard

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have found their estimates to be relatively accurate in the past.

Richard

Thanks, Richard. I'll be curious to see how this plays out.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Richard. I'll be curious to see how this plays out.

Dave
There really isn't anything to do about it. I'm just kind of either pleasantly/unpleasantly surprised when my bank statement shows a few bucks more-or quite a few bucks more from the deposit- or as we say around here- the Eagle $h!*$. Something a Navy guy would be familiar with. The Medicare premium increase eats up most of the increase, but there's usually a miniscule bump. Wooppee!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
There really isn't anything to do about it. I'm just kind of either pleasantly/unpleasantly surprised when my bank statement shows a few bucks more-or quite a few bucks more from the deposit- or as we say around here- the Eagle $h!*$. Something a Navy guy would be familiar with. The Medicare premium increase eats up most of the increase, but there's usually a miniscule bump. Wooppee!

Yep. Familiar terms, for sure. I just want to make sure I'm aware of what to expect. This is all new for me. :)

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolute $ increase in COLA is more for those who are getting larger amounts from Social Security, hence the general advice is to take SS payment later as it also translates to higher $. Based on 1.6% increase, my husband will get an estimated $59 increase per month because he started his SS at 70, about $700 more per year. The $ difference increases each year between a lower SS payment and a higher SS payment when COLA is applied.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Delete. Duplicate

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
delete. Duplicate

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
A 1.6% increase for 2020 is better than a no COLA increase. IMO.