• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sticky - 2020 Hyatt Maintenance Fees

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
This serves as an APB for all TUG Hyatt owners: it won't be long before we begin receiving invoices for our 2020 maintenance fees. As the invoices arrive to you, please post here with a summary of your invoice in the following format (below is an example only):

Hyatt Pinon Pointe 2BR Platinum Season 2,000 points Annual

Operating Fee $1,000
Replacement Reserve 300
Property Taxes 150
Club Dues 150

Total $1,500

% increase over 2018 4.6%

Thanks to everyone for participating. Once we begin to get a good string of these, I'll ask TUGBrian to re-post this thread as a sticky.

Thanks!

*Admin Note: The 2019 MF thread is here for reference: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/2019-hyatt-maintenance-fees.280681/

Last edited by a moderator:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FYI, the proposed budget for Hyatt Highlands Inn calls for a stiff 7.9% increase from $1,590 in 2019 to $1,716 in 2020. Ugh. That said, all of the roofs--which were wood shingle and, therefore, a definite fire hazard--have been or are being replaced with fire resistant materials.

Here is the breakdown courtesy of the owners association president:

upload_2019-10-8_17-15-5.png

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like Support, Management Fees and Club Fees (Marriott) took a hefty jump. Interesting that those fees are thrown in with the upgrade to the internet. CA’s new minimum wage law didn’t help either.

alameda94501

TUG Member
Reaction score
Must be rough on the HPC Land Trust with 496+ unit weeks at Highlands Inn, that's a $62.4k jump in their maintenance fees. At least there's no bad debt with them.

I'm curious how bad the bad debt problem is.

jonfff74

TUG Member
Reaction score
This serves as an APB for all TUG Hyatt owners: it won't be long before we begin receiving invoices for our 2020 maintenance fees. As the invoices arrive to you, please post here with a summary of your invoice in the following format (below is an example only):

Operating Fee $1,000
Replacement Reserve 300
Property Taxes 150
Club Dues 150

Total $1,500

Thanks to everyone for participating. Once we begin to get a good string of these, I'll ask TUGBrian to re-post this thread as a sticky.

Thanks!
I thought Pinon Pointe maintainance fees for 2BR were ~1,000 - that's the maintenance fee I see listed on various resale sights. Can someone explain to me why is quoted at $1,500 (see above) whereas listings seem to list maintenance fees of ~$1,100?

alameda94501

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought Pinon Pointe maintainance fees for 2BR were ~1,000 - that's the maintenance fee I see listed on various resale sights. Can someone explain to me why is quoted at $1,500 (see above) whereas listings seem to list maintenance fees of ~$1,100?

That's just @WalnutBaron's example. It's not a real number. It's currently ~$1,180 at Pinon, but I'm not sure about 2020.

Various jurisdictions/resorts may also have different maintenance fees for different members, for example because of property tax assessments.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
Must be rough on the HPC Land Trust with 496+ unit weeks at Highlands Inn, that's a $62.4k jump in their maintenance fees. At least there's no bad debt with them.

I'm curious how bad the bad debt problem is.
We received our proposed budget for next year. It looks like bad debt is $30.89 per unit week. That's a lot!

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We received our proposed budget for next year. It looks like bad debt is $30.89 per unit week. That's a lot!

It’s not great, but the reality is when compared to the other line items, it’s not horrid either. Look at it this way, the INCREASE in the management fee for this year alone is apx $12 more than the total bad debt. The INCREASE in the reserves for this year alone is apx 2/3 the total bad debt. Perhaps we should be casting a light on the other line items? Why is it that during Marriotts first maintenance fee collection the management fee line item jumps so significantly?

Guzztimeshare

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn
Hyatt High Sierra

Operating Fee $1,000
Replacement Reserve 300
Property Taxes 150
Club Dues 150

Total $1,500

Thanks!
New to this site. Own both at Hyatt Highlands Inn and Hyatt High Sierra. I believe there is a cap on how much maintenance fees can increase each year. I remember reading it but wondering about others?

alameda94501

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I am not sure what the cap is, as 8% seems like a heavy increase based on my history with Highlands Inn.

New to this site. Own both at Hyatt Highlands Inn and Hyatt High Sierra. I believe there is a cap on how much maintenance fees can increase each year. I remember reading it but wondering about others?

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wish. There is no cap on maintenance fee increases except for effective oversight by a watchful board of directors and, very indirectly, competitive forces. There is a lot of suspicion that--now that Marriott owns the Hyatt system--Marriott is behind the large planned increase at HHI. It certainly bears everyone paying attention to their MF increases this year to see if the 8% increase at HHI is a one-off or the canary in the coal mine for the entire Hyatt system in 2020.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Hyatt Piñon Pointe is also increasing about 8%.

Hyatt Windward Pointe is increasing about 15%.

Hyatt Hacienda del Mar is increasing about 50%.

grevas1

Reaction score
Hyatt Hacienda del Mar 2020-
Operating Fee- $1533.14 = 30% increase from 2019
Reserve fee- $350 = -7.72% decrease
M/F- $1883.14 = 21.27% increase
Disaster Recovery Reserve (one time fee)= $420.10

Total fees for 2020- $2303.24 = 48.32% from 2019.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Piñon Pointe is also increasing about 8%.

Hyatt Windward Pointe is increasing about 15%.

Hyatt Hacienda del Mar is increasing about 50%.
Wow. Thanks, Marriott. One thing that hasn't been discussed on this board, but should be: when the developer aggressively pushes higher MF's, it eventually begins to negatively impact resale values. Time for vigilance.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Has anyone seen what the Beach House is going up for 2020?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
On the Hyatt FB Board, there’s an uproar over Windward increase. Is the increase due to the points increase?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Hyatt Windward Pointe increase will depend on the results of the vote whether to waive full funding of reserves. If it's waived, the increase will be about 15% (due to reserves), if it's not waived, the increase will be much higher (also due to reserves).

alameda94501

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the Hyatt FB Board, there’s an uproar over Windward increase. Is the increase due to the points increase?

I don't own there, but it doesn't make any sense that there would be an increase in fees over a points increase (and that was several years ago for Windward Pointe). Points equalization happens when there is a Hyatt-perceived inequity in supply/demand for particular weeks and they either boost seasons (e.g. Gold becomes Diamond) or boost the "class" (e.g. 2 Bedroom becomes 2 Bedroom Deluxe). It only goes one way - they don't unboost, but obviously there could be an inflation of sorts if they need to equalize across the board.

It's more likely that there is hurricane damage to be addressed, like with Puerto Rico.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's more likely that there is hurricane damage to be addressed, like with Puerto Rico.
You're probably right, but why not just be honest with the owners and issue a special assessment? With that kind of a huge MF increase, the additional cost of ownership is not only baked into all future MF's for perpetuity, but the net effect is a big reduction in resale value (not that Marriott cares one whit about that).

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
You're probably right, but why not just be honest with the owners and issue a special assessment? With that kind of a huge MF increase, the additional cost of ownership is not only baked into all future MF's for perpetuity, but the net effect is a big reduction in resale value (not that Marriott cares one whit about that).
I was thinking the same. Why not a special assessment?
If it’s not, increases will occur on an annual basis until Marriott reaches the amount it believes is justifiable.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not about hurricane damage. If it were, there would be a line item similar to the Puerto Rico property “Disaster Recovery Reserve”. Also, if it were hurricane driven all of the other Hyatt properties would not be increasing 8%-21%. This is about Marriott’s profit margin. They are being greedy and capitalizing on a product that has a high barrier to exit. This is profit driven.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
This is not about hurricane damage. If it were, there would be a line item similar to the Puerto Rico property “Disaster Recovery Reserve”. Also, if it were hurricane driven all of the other Hyatt properties would not be increasing 8%-21%. This is about Marriott’s profit margin. They are being greedy and capitalizing on a product that has a high barrier to exit. This is profit driven.
This!!!!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I’m so sad that Marriott purchased Hyatt. They will end up with more foreclosures as people dump their Hyatts

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m so sad that Marriott purchased Hyatt. They will end up with more foreclosures as people dump their Hyatts

From Marriott’s perspective I think it’s a win win. Owners stay = higher revolving profits for Marriott. Owners sell at what will be significantly lower prices = Marriott ROFRing unit weeks to put into the new flavor product to sell at inflated prices = higher one time profits. Either way, Marriott wins. As an owner, I too am sad with the situation.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
That's just @WalnutBaron's example. It's not a real number. It's currently ~$1,180 at Pinon, but I'm not sure about 2020.

Various jurisdictions/resorts may also have different maintenance fees for different members, for example because of property tax assessments.
We paid an extra $100 on estimated taxes for Pinon Pointe which we typically do to ensure we don't lose out on a wait list. We just got a notice that we owed an extra 80 so sounds like 180 increase. We will call tomorrow to verify