• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using StarOptions for Resort Credit - New Feature

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
true, I did not think at this possibility. At the same time, we do not know if they are not already comfortable with what they own in order to cover their rental side of business. Owners paying MF with points on the other hand may bring a lot of inventory in cycles they do not control, hard to foresee and they may or may not be able to rent the extra units they have.
This practice would also probably exacerbate at the worst time of the economic cycle. It is not hard to imagine that owners would tend to do it more during recessions but those would be exactly the worst times to have extra inventory to rent since the hotel occupancy rate and prices tend to decline significantly.

Yep, all good points. I believe MVC does still have a rental program for weeks owners, where you can give your week to them and they rent it and share part of the proceeds with the owner. It would probably make more sense to extend that to Vistana weeks rather than paying with Points, since they can elect NOT to take a week for rental at their option. That would mean less revenue for MVW (since they have to share), but could protect them a bit from getting un-rentable inventory. An option to use points to pay the fee would likely have to be at owner option, and as you say, subject MVW to getting stuff they don't want/need.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham offers this option of using their developer-purchased ownership to pay for part of their MF but the conversion rate is bad. If MVW decides to offer this option, I can see some owners opting for this because it is easier than renting out their timeshare, points or weeks.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Just called and found out they give you 110 dollar credit for every 9000 options to be used on specific resorts. All Hawaii resorts were listed

Hmm... $110 per 9000 SOs would be worth more than my annual fees for my WKV week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Yes, it is very generous as it only cost me $62 to buy 9000 points.
You are talking about the old Starpoints, I assume, which no longer exist and are now Marriott/Bonvoy Points. Totally different thing than StarOptions. If I could buy 9000 StarOptions for $62 I would jump on that.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's my point...quite generous.

Agreed -- looks like that rate would cover 80%+ of my average MF costs...

So if I don't use a unit, I can cash in the SOs and effectively get 80% of my MFs back?

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
How long do you have to use the "resort credit"?
Do they expire?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It would be more generous if they allow the conversion of any amount of points. As it is, I typically end the year with leftover SOs of ~325-1675 or so. It wouldn’t be worth much based on the $110 per 9000 ratio, but it would be something and would be a nice gesture.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be more generous if they allow the conversion of any amount of points. As it is, I typically end the year with leftover SOs of ~325-1675 or so. It wouldn’t be worth much based on the $110 per 9000 ratio, but it would be something and would be a nice gesture.

Agreed. I have about 2600 leftover SOs that are just short of being able to add a day to an upcoming stay. It was encouraging when I got the email yesterday, and then I saw this thread. Looks like they'll go to waste after all.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I have about 2600 leftover SOs that are just short of being able to add a day to an upcoming stay. It was encouraging when I got the email yesterday, and then I saw this thread. Looks like they'll go to waste after all.

I think this is what us owners would like to see. Yet, what would be Vistana's motivation to do it? These points go to them anyways. Besides, I think it may cost them a bit of money to manage this program: program coding, booking, follow ups, screw ups followed by phone calls to the member service dept. again etc. . If people deposit just 1000 points, is is really worth the hassle for Vistana?
Personally I understand if they have a minimum but after that it should be more flexible. I would prefer a minimum of 9000 options and 1k increments after that

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
With MVC, it is valid for the duration of the stay at the resort.
I also don't think they are just generic resort credit certificates to use as you wish when you want. Don't you need to have a specific stay reserved and targeted to apply the resort credit to?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also don't think they are just generic resort credit certificates to use as you wish when you want. Don't you need to have a specific stay reserved and targeted to apply the resort credit to?
I can only share my experience with MVC. I have to decide which resort stay that I want the resort credits applied to. Not all resorts have them. When I check in, I have to go to their vacation club desk to activate it. I use points in my holding account to redeem for resort credits when I foresee that I will have no further use for them for the rest of the year.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think this is what us owners would like to see. Yet, what would be Vistana's motivation to do it? These points go to them anyways. Besides, I think it may cost them a bit of money to manage this program: program coding, booking, follow ups, screw ups followed by phone calls to the member service dept. again etc. . If people deposit just 1000 points, is is really worth the hassle for Vistana?
Personally I understand if they have a minimum but after that it should be more flexible. I would prefer a minimum of 9000 options and 1k increments after that

That’s why I said “nice gesture”. Everything else you wrote I had assumed.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
can you use any StarOptions including banked or restricted to buy resort credit?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not think it was mentioned before. I just looked at the September 2019 AM presentation for SVV and it states that this is a pilot program only for Orlando and Hawaii. Kind of an odd combination if you ask me.

upload_2019-10-6_16-53-26.png

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hopefully, this isn't old news: A Vistana phone Rep. told me about a new program for Resort Credits that I was not aware of.

When you have leftover Staroptions (even if they are restricted) you can use them for a resort credit at the resort where you have a reservation in your name:

Minumum number of Staroptions required = 9,000

9,000 Staroptions = $110 in resort credits.

You can "buy" additional credits in increments of 9,000 Staroptions.

Not all Vistana resorts are included, but all of the Maui resorts are included in this program.

The credits have to be assigned to a specific reservation that you have in your name.

You cannot assign the credits to a reservation in someone elses name.

Once you have assigned the credits to a reservation, the only way to reverse it is to cancel the reservation.

The resort credit can be used for most things at participating Vistana resorts that you can charge to your room, including alcoholic beverages.

Example: Let's say you have 5,000 restricted Staroptions leftover in 2019, and 4,000 banked Staroptions in 2020 - you can combine them and apply the 9,000 Staroptions to a $110 resort credit to a reservation in your name in 2019 or 2020.

Last edited:

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
great post! thx for the info

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question. If your SO expire at the end of Dec can you use the credit for next year's reservation?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have a question. If your SO expire at the end of Dec can you use the credit for next year's reservation?
Yes - see my example:

Example: Let's say you have 5,000 restricted Staroptions leftover in 2019, and 4,000 banked Staroptions in 2020 - you can combine them and apply the 9,000 Staroptions to a $110 resort credit to a reservation in your name in 2019 or 2020.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry - I completely missed that other thread - I think I was on vacation. Oh well, at least now we have a summary of the program. However, my post was based on the info that I got from one Phone Rep, so I can't guarantee the details.

*There were a lot of questions/comments in the other thread about this being a poor use of Staroptions, and yes, I agree, that using your Staroptions for reservations is a much better option. But if you have leftover and/or restricted Staroptions that you can't use and that will expire, this is a very good way to use them.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm on vacation about 2 weeks a month... But at the time of the original thread, I was camping with poor internet access, so I never saw it before today.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
So, if the StarOptions are assigned to a specific reservation I assume this assignment must be done prior to arrival? Does anyone know the real mechanics of this?