• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Squirrels' stash of winter walnuts causes car chaos

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thant is something else! A big one!

We, too, have had critter stashesin our car and it has cost us money. This is what happens when we park our cars outside instead of the garage. Now in the house we are living at right now- we have to leave them out and I worry about stuff like this.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds liked in that neck of the woods, it is going to a very cold winter.
That is one scary photo. LOL.:doh:

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We had a similar thing happen. A few years ago we returned from our annual fall vacation in our van. The next day DH went to start our car and it would turn over but not run. He opened the hood and saw a maple key sticking out of the air box. He opened the airbox to discover it was jammed packed with maple keys! After cleaning all of them out the car started and ran just fine. DH then decided to check our old pick-up truck and also found it's air cleaner packed with maple keys. I guess there were some hungry squirrels that winter. Now he regularly checks our 4 vehicles when they haven't been run for a few days.

~Diane

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While there is nothing like a single spot like in the photo, we have a neighbor who has hickory nuts stashed in everything in his outbuilding/garage. Some throughout his boat, his camper, under the hood of his truck. Chipmunks are the issue in his case. There is nothing he can do about. He just continually empty things throughout his outbuilding all fall.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We had to take a car in once because of a burning smell. Mice in our garage (remnants of a poorly executed science fair project, lol) had taken dog kibble and stashed in somewhere in the engine. I can't remember where it was but it made the failed science fair project and even bigger problem then it had been before. As I recall it took a good 6 months of diligent trapping to get rid of those mice!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Well, there's a term I've never heard, "maple key". Looked it up and now I know!
I had to look them up too. I have seen something similar over the years, but I think that they are from Sycamore trees around here. I always wondered what they were.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Well, there's a term I've never heard, "maple key". Looked it up and now I know!

Lots of them up here in Canada, the land of the Maple Leaf! :wave:

~Diane

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
A very timely story as we are right in the middle of the walnut harvest here in California. If we run out of storage options, I'll ask the squirrels for some help :)

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Maple keys - new to me. We called them copters or helicopters on my boulevard in Minneapolis.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maple keys - they are called helicopters in our area too. I didn't even know the squirrels liked/ate them! The trees were so full of them this spring that it gave the appearance of autumn in our back yard because they wre red. I saw this squirrel stash on the internet today too.....poor guys, they worked really hard to forage all of those!

My neighbor once had a mouse problem. She pulled her ski boots out of her basement one winter and they were filled with dog kibble.