• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many of you bought a timeshare with a high interest credit card?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Lately, I have been reading stories from many folks who would go to a “Owners Update” to get a trinket only to leave with a handful of Credit Cards maxed out at bank crushing interest rates to pay for a timeshare.

In other words, they leave the Update with signed paperwork and fleeced like a sheep.

From what I understand so far is having folks get instant credit through these cards equates to more commissions earned.

Has this ever happened to you?

Should this practice be outlawed?

(Yet another reason to buy resale and/or rent)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I've never bought anything with a high interest rate cc. Some people can't handle credit and shouldn't play that game. They lose every time.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I've never bought anything with a high interest rate cc. Some people can't handle credit and shouldn't play that game. They lose every time.

Totally agree. Especially a multi thousand dollar timeshare. sheesh.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I used a Visa card to pay for every one of mine. I guess it helps when the cost is low to nothing so I am able to pay the balance every month. I am happy to help some one out of their timeshare obligations when it helps me too.

Bill

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I used a Visa card to pay for every one of mine. I guess it helps when the cost is low to nothing so I am able to pay the balance every month. I am happy to help some one out of their timeshare obligations when it helps me too.

Bill

Resale makes sense. Imagine doing it for a retail 20 k purchase...yikes.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Lately, I have been reading stories from many folks who would go to a “Owners Update” to get a trinket only to leave with a handful of Credit Cards maxed out at bank crushing interest rates to pay for a timeshare.

In other words, they leave the Update with signed paperwork and fleeced like a sheep.

From what I understand so far is having folks get instant credit through these cards equates to more commissions earned.

Has this ever happened to you?

Should this practice be outlawed?

(Yet another reason to buy resale and/or rent)

I bought all my $1 TS with credit cards. Some had closing/transfer costs, some of which I also paid with credit cards. The 1.5 percent rewards helps.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet this is a double digit percentage that do this, ie at least 10%. Some with the intention of moving it to a cheaper interest rate card or funding but I'm sure some that get stuck for one reason or another staying on the high rate card thereby paying an even more obscene total cost than just buying direct.

Even when i buy resale I insist on as much on my credit card as possible. They will usually agree to putting like $10k to make the sale and that nets me another 20k points so if you use the credit cards right and pay them off it is a great extra value.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I've heard of this happening for a while now but I'm not sure what the sales tactic is, except it's gotta be a perk to the sales weasel. Perhaps, unlike what they did to me and promise that I could easily refinance at a lower rate, they're now showing potential buyers what the initial interest rate is buying direct, and then say but if you put it on this credit card, it'll be 3-5% lower or something like that...... Still shady as hell and wrong.
We luckily have very good credit and were able to get an unsecured personal loan at a 4.5% rate for our initial $20k purchase. But it still took a little bank shopping.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
For our developer purchases (prior to my discovering TUG) we would purchase by placing the down payment on our Amex which garnered bonus points for the purchase and take out a developer mortgage with a "same as cash" clause if paid in full within 180 days. We would then pay monthly using the same credit card receiving additional bonus points. Our interest payments would be refunded either by crediting the Amex or crediting against the next year's MF.

Our credit card is paid in full each month so we never incurred any net interest expense.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
For our developer purchases (prior to my discovering TUG) we would purchase by placing the down payment on our Amex which garnered bonus points for the purchase and take out a developer mortgage with a "same as cash" clause if paid in full within 180 days. We would then pay monthly using the same credit card receiving additional bonus points. Our interest payments would be refunded either by crediting the Amex or crediting against the next year's MF.

Our credit card is paid in full each month so we never incurred any net interest expense.
We had a $10k limit on our credit card then. Old card that the wife had had since she was 18, this was when she was 27 and never raised her credit limit upon increased credit score and marrying me. I got a Capital One card this spring for the bonus points with planned purchase of new carpet. I didn't ask for a high cap, but got a $30k credit limit! No wonder so many people have massive credit card debt.....

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I have purchased two timeshares on EBay with credit cards. The first cost $39.00 the second cost $1.00.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a $10k limit on our credit card then. Old card that the wife had had since she was 18, this was when she was 27 and never raised her credit limit upon increased credit score and marrying me. I got a Capital One card this spring for the bonus points with planned purchase of new carpet. I didn't ask for a high cap, but got a $30k credit limit! No wonder so many people have massive credit card debt.....
I have more than $200K credit limit totalling from 5 cards. I am still baffled why any of the issuers thought I would want to use the cards that much.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have more than $200K credit limit totalling from 5 cards. I am still baffled why any of the issuers thought I would want to use the cards that much.
Right? It almost makes me nervous to have that much credit, just in case we were to get hacked. I know that it would be covered, but why do the cc companies want that much risk? I guess the risk is low. I canceled a card that we didn't use -ever- and of course my credit score dropped 5 points but at least it's one card that I don't have to check any more. Plus how can you churn if you don't cancel those cards at some point ;)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Right? It almost makes me nervous to have that much credit, just in case we were to get hacked. I know that it would be covered, but why do the cc companies want that much risk? I guess the risk is low. I canceled a card that we didn't use -ever- and of course my credit score dropped 5 points but at least it's one card that I don't have to check any more. Plus how can you churn if you don't cancel those cards at some point ;)
I called this week to cancel my United Explorer Chase Visa cc because there was a $95 charge for cc membership fee and I don't use that card. The agent asked me if I wanted to transfer part of the credit limit to another Chase card. If I were the agent I would have gone "gulped" when looking at the amounts on my Chase Visa cards and not offer to transfer part of the credit limit. But then I guess they have to follow a script.

I gave my son a supplemental card with the lowest credit limit amongst my cards, for emergency use. Even then I am nervous that he loses the card or it gets compromised somehow. He has yet to use the credit card. Maybe I should ask the credit card company to lower the credit limit on that card.

Last edited: