• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

From Zero to Gold

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
I bought resale at PCB this summer, and I am still waiting for the transfer... dragging... Sorry for the complaining

Anyway, I have zero developer points, and I keep reading about PIC, but I have concerns being a newbie and all, so I have the following questions:

1. would it be a smart move to go from zero to gold with a PIC strategy.

2. if so, what should I expect to buy and pay, and what would expect on MFs?

3. PIC locations for my would be Clearwater Bear or St. Pete Beach... or maybe similar beach location. How do I find these PIC locations opportunities?

goal estimate and budget realistic strategy to get from zero to goal... any advise, thoughts appreciated.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
@HitchHiker71 and @Richelle would be able to help you. Just be patient with Wyndham resale points. It can take 6-8 months.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I bought resale at PCB this summer, and I am still waiting for the transfer... dragging... Sorry for the complaining

Anyway, I have zero developer points, and I keep reading about PIC, but I have concerns being a newbie and all, so I have the following questions:

3. PIC locations for my would be Clearwater Bear or St. Pete Beach... or maybe similar beach location. How do I find these PIC locations opportunities?

goal estimate and budget realistic strategy to get from zero to goal... any advise, thoughts appreciated.

@HitchHiker71 went from zero to Gold using PIC. When we first bought, we added my mom’s vacation villages at Parkway week. When I went Gold, I picked up a Williamsburg Plantation week on eBay. I helped others get theirs on eBay as well as Timeshare Nation. Timeshare Nation specializes in 100% free timeshares. No closing costs or transfer fees. It has to be tradeable in RCI. It cannot be a Wyndham resort. It also cannot be Shell, Hilton, Marriott, DVC, Diamond, or Blue Green. If it trades in interval International, pass on it. It also cannot be a points based timeshare (RCI points, DVC, WorldMark, etc). Before you agree to buy anything, talk with a telesales rep first to verify it qualifies. Someone in Orlando is telling people that certain weeks that previously qualified are being rejected. A telesales rep in Redmond said they are not rejecting anything. So whoever you end up with, make sure they verify it qualifies. There are some with maintenance fees less then $800 for an annual three bedroom. Try to go for less then $800. If it’s at a place you would actually want to go to, then it might be worth paying slightly more. Just remember, you have to pay the maintenance fees in full before you can deposit in RCI. You have to deposit in RCI before you can exchange that deposit with Wyndham for points. Gold crown resorts are the nicest, but crown status doesn’t matter for PIC purposes.

From what I hear, Biannual weeks qualify. Even though you can only trade for points every other year, you’re credited every year towards VIP status. So if you have a three bedroom biannual week, you can trade for 254,000 points every other year. That 254,000 points counts towards VIP status every year. It also counts, even if you don’t exchange it for points. Biannual have lower maintenance fees because you can only use it every other year. Again, make sure the telesales rep confirms it qualifies.

PIC enrollment requires a 49,000 point purchase per PIC week. You are allowed a maximum of two. The most points you can get out of PIC are 508,000 (two 3 bedroom weeks). If you enroll two weeks into PIC, you have to buy a minimum of 49,000 points. An Orlando rep is saying 64,000 but again, the Redmond rep says it’s 49,000. If you end up with someone from Orlando, and they tell you it’s 64,000, tell them you want a rep from Redmond. Watch them back peddle. The most recent price I’ve heard for 105,000 points was $16,275. The more points you buy, the lower your price goes per 1,000 points. So $155 per 1,000 for 105,000 points. You can probably do $145 or $150 per 1,000 for 192,000 points you need to get to Gold. That’s before any cash rebates. I usually see at least $500 in cash rebates but mine was $1,500. That was a special they had going on at the time.

As far as maintenance fees, it varies. If you call telesales, you’ll probably have to twist some arms to get anything other then CWA. Your maintenance fees for 192,000 CWA points will run $1,265 a year or $105 a month which includes the program fee. It will likely go up next year. Then you have to pay the program fee on the PIC points at 60 cents per 1,000 points (same as your other points). So a 3 bedroom that gets you 254,000 points will run you $152 a year or $13 a month per PIC week. Then you have the maintenance fees for the PIC week. My Williamsburg Plantation is $869 a year. That gets paid annually.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought resale at PCB this summer, and I am still waiting for the transfer... so I have the following questions:

No.

And especially not without some experience in the Wyndham system first.

Even then, you would need to evaluate if the costs justify the benefits. From many years of discussions about whether an initial VIP purchase is economically justified I've never been persuaded that it is. A VIP purchase can be, if there are other factors, but with an initial developer purchase I can not see it. The only argument in that case is that it is an individual choice and every one is entitled to theirs.

Generally the better purchase is more resale points.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
The only thing that is changing is the Gold tier is going to become 800,000 points and have a new name. I would personally use your membership first. If you run into problems that VIP Gold will solve, then buy into VIP gold. There are cheaper ways to get your money's worth. I have lived in Tampa Bay most of my life. I'm living in AL temporarily, but have decided against VIP Gold because of the frequency of Florida discounts for resale members. Bonnet Creek, Panama City, Ocean Walk, Cypress Palms, Reunion, Palm Aire and Sea Gardens are currently discounted around 30% ish for Oct-Nov.

upload_2019-10-6_16-54-25.png

If you vacation in FL frequently, it is cheaper to stay at Ocean Walk (prime season), Reunion (prime season), and Ft. Lauderdale using WorldMark credits than Club Wyndham points. I did the math using maintenance fee costs of both systems. My advice is to use your membership for a few years, research every system (Marriott, DVC, Hilton, Bluegreen) and decide which system(s) you want to buy into. Just know that Club Pass is completely useless. If you want access to both systems (WorldMark and Club Wyndham), you need to own within both systems. VIP benefits do not apply to WorldMark locations, which accounts for about 90 of the 200+ Wyndham Destinations locations. Also, you get last pick for reservations and have to pay a $99 exchange fee every time. I don't have a WorldMark ownership or a VIP ownership, it just makes more sense to me to spend $5,000 in total to have about 500,000 Club Wyndham Points and 20,000 WorldMark credits (equal to 330,000 Club Wyndham Credits) then it does to spend $27,000 to PIC to VIP Gold.

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
@HitchHiker71 went from zero to Gold using PIC. When we first bought, we added my mom’s vacation villages at Parkway week. When I went Gold, I picked up a Williamsburg Plantation week on eBay. I helped others get theirs on eBay as well as Timeshare Nation. Timeshare Nation specializes in 100% free timeshares. No closing costs or transfer fees. It has to be tradeable in RCI. It cannot be a Wyndham resort. It also cannot be Shell, Hilton, Marriott, DVC, Diamond, or Blue Green. If it trades in interval International, pass on it. It also cannot be a points based timeshare (RCI points, DVC, WorldMark, etc). Before you agree to buy anything, talk with a telesales rep first to verify it qualifies. Someone in Orlando is..

This give me great insight. Thank you for taking the time to explain... the tricky/risky part seems to be finding those qualifying TS. And probably have a budget of $20k for required points pic enrollment and to pay any MF in advanced. Thank you for the reply!

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
No.

And especially not without some experience...

Generally the better purchase is more resale points.

Makes sense and is good advise for me from a financial point of view. But seems like many VIP members are really happy with their status and abilities so been wondering what is the least expensive route. Thanks for the reply.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
This give me great insight. Thank you for taking the time to explain... the tricky/risky part seems to be finding those qualifying TS. And probably have a budget of $20k for required points pic enrollment and to pay any MF in advanced. Thank you for the reply!

Tricky for sure. Mostly in the beginning. As far as paying the maintenance fees in advance, I pay for them with my credit card that gets me the most rewards, and then transfer the balance to whichever one is offering me a zero percent promotion. I make equal payments for a year. It’s like making monthly payments instead of one lump sum.

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
The only thing that is changing is the Gold tier is going to become 800,000 points and have a new name. I would personally use your membership first. If you run into problems that VIP Gold will solve, then buy into VIP gold. There are cheaper ways to get your money's worth. I have lived in Tampa Bay most of my life. I'm living in AL temporarily, but have decided against VIP Gold because of the frequency of Florida discounts for resale members. Bonnet Creek, Panama City, Ocean Walk, Cypress Palms, Reunion, Palm Aire and Sea Gardens are currently discounted around 30% ish for Oct-Nov.

View attachment 14476

If you vacation in FL frequently, it is cheaper to stay at Ocean Walk (prime season), Reunion (prime season), and Ft. Lauderdale using WorldMark credits than Club Wyndham points. I did the math using maintenance fee costs of both systems. My advice is to use your membership for a few years, research every system (Marriott, DVC, Hilton, Bluegreen) and decide which system(s) you want to buy into. Just know that Club Pass is completely useless. If you want access to both systems (WorldMark and Club Wyndham), you need to own within both systems. VIP benefits do not apply to WorldMark locations, which accounts for about 90 of the 200+ Wyndham Destinations locations. Also, you get last pick for reservations and have to pay a $99 exchange fee every time. I don't have a WorldMark ownership or a VIP ownership, it just makes more sense to me to spend $5,000 in total to have about 500,000 Club Wyndham Points and 20,000 WorldMark credits (equal to 330,000 Club Wyndham Credits) then it does to spend $27,000 to PIC to VIP Gold.

yeah. I almost spent $40k for 300k developer points but I rescinded in time. I am definitely looking forward to the PCB... I paid $3k for 413K points. I figured it was a good deal due to the low maintenance... I have been looking and I only found a better deal once and it was picked within days.

will definitely take on the advise. Thank you!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
yeah. I almost spent $40k for 300k developer points but I rescinded in time. I am definitely looking forward to the PCB... I paid $3k for 413K points. I figured it was a good deal due to the low maintenance... I have been looking and I only found a better deal once and it was picked within days.

will definitely take on the advise. Thank you!

You will save money in the long run having a PCB deed. I just suggest you fully research what VIP Gold will give you vs. what WM resale will give you. Compare their benefits and their cost to what you currently have. I say to either do one or the other, but not both because VIP benefits DO NOT APPLY to Worldmark locations. WorldMark does offer bonus time and inventory specials for resale members that is similar to VIP discounts, but VIP members that book Worldmark locations don't have access to those deals. There are three types of vacationers where one membership makes more sense than the others.

Vacationer #1
They can travel during the off season without much planning in advance. They plan on vacationing mostly within Club Wyndham properties within the 60 day window. VIP ownership makes more sense for them.

Vacationer #2
They mostly only get time off work during the Holidays. They need to plan well in advance because of their school/work schedule. They want full access to all of the Wyndham properties across the entire country, but still want to take advantage of occasional inventory sales for short getaways close to home. WorldMark/Club Wyndham dual ownership makes the most sense for them.

Vacationer #3
They don't frequently take that many vacations, and when they do it's within driving distance. They mostly only get time off work during the Holidays. They need to plan well in advance because of their school/work schedule and don't need access to all of Wyndham's properties, just the ones that are concentrated near them. If you live on the West coast, Worlmark makes sense. If you live on the East coast, Club Wyndham makes sense.

Right now I'm vacationer #3 so I only have a Club Wyndham ownership because I'm not done having children and am still establishing myself, but I will be like vacationer #2 for the majority of my adult life, so dual resale ownership makes sense for me in the long run. Once I retire, that's when VIP would make sense to me, but that's 35 years from now.

JJVGHNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ecelso,
I am relatively new to this, but you have to figure to buy 192,000 retail to PIC 508,000 to gold won't be cheap. The extra 300k retail would be crazy. I know a 300k piggyback from Edisto for MB cost 15k, and I was offered a 500,000 point piggyback at Fairfield Glade for 22k while buying retail. They have rules with piggybacking saying only one contract over retail purchase, or 1:1 point purchasing retail to on points, but I also know they do bend the rules. If you happened to own to pic eligible 3 or 4 bedroom timeshares and got an offer like that, you could buy 154,000 points retail for 20-30k, add a 500k piggyback for 22k if it's still available, and pic 508,000, and be zero to platinum for 40-50k, depending on piggyback deal you could get, in person, at Edisto island or Fairfield Glade. I think Sedona is the 3td piggyback location, but I have not been there.
If you choose telesales, call Brandon, as I wrote in other thread, he had some nice offers with big bonuses and discount. His number, 888-405-5061, and tell him Jeffrey told you to call. Don't know him, but he sure seems like a nice no-pressure guy.

JJVGHNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ecelso,
To answer one of your questions, I bought two 4 bedroom units at Woodstone Meadows at massanutten on eBay, after calling to confirm they were still PIC eligible, and checking feedback on the sellers, for $35 and $66, closing and transfer paid by seller. There are tons for sale, maybe they could have been bought for $1 each, but I didn't want to spend more time on the project! The MF are $855 and $815, I think.
So, for $1670/508,000 points, MF is very good, but add in the Wyndham fees, and still very good, especially since they count toward VIP.

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
You will save money in the long run having a PCB deed. I just suggest you fully research what VIP Gold will give you vs. what WM resale will give you. Compare their benefits and their cost to what you currently have. I say to either do one or the other, but not both because VIP benefits DO NOT APPLY to Worldmark locations. WorldMark does offer bonus time and inventory specials for resale members that is similar to VIP discounts, but VIP members that book Worldmark locations don't have access to those deals. There are three types of vacationers where one membership makes more sense than the others.

Vacationer #1
They can travel during the off season without much planning in advance. They plan on vacationing mostly within Club Wyndham properties within the 60 day window. VIP ownership makes more sense for them.

Vacationer #2
They mostly only get time off work during the Holidays. They need to plan well in advance because of their school/work schedule. They want full access to all of the Wyndham properties across the entire country, but still want to take advantage of occasional inventory sales for short getaways close to home. WorldMark/Club Wyndham dual ownership makes the most sense for them.

Vacationer #3
They don't frequently take that many vacations, and when they do it's within driving distance. They mostly only get time off work during the Holidays. They need to plan well in advance because of their school/work schedule and don't need access to all of Wyndham's properties, just the ones that are concentrated near them. If you live on the West coast, Worlmark makes sense. If you live on the East coast, Club Wyndham makes sense.

Right now I'm vacationer #3 so I only have a Club Wyndham ownership because I'm not done having children and am still establishing myself, but I will be like vacationer #2 for the majority of my adult life, so dual resale ownership makes sense for me in the long run. Once I retire, that's when VIP would make sense to me, but that's 35 years from now.

awesome reply. I fall in the #3 category living in FL and tied to my kids School schedules. Thanks for the reply!

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
Tricky for sure. Mostly in the beginning. As far as paying the maintenance fees in advance, I pay for them with my credit card that gets me the most rewards, and then transfer the balance to whichever one is offering me a zero percent promotion. I make equal payments for a year. It’s like making monthly payments instead of one lump sum.

I like your strategy on the cards to get rewards

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
Ecelso,
To answer one of your questions, I bought two 4 bedroom units at Woodstone Meadows at massanutten on eBay, after calling to confirm they were still PIC eligible, and checking feedback on the sellers, for $35 and $66, closing and transfer paid by seller. There are tons for sale, maybe they could have been bought for $1 each, but I didn't want to spend more time on the project! The MF are $855 and $815, I think.
So, for $1670/508,000 points, MF is very good, but add in the Wyndham fees, and still very good, especially since they count toward VIP.

wow. But if I read correctly, you still need to buy a minimum of points per PIC. And that cost was about $15-$20kish?

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I like your strategy on the cards to get rewards

A lot of us have travel cards or cash back cards we use them for. I prefer my Southwest card because in addition to points, I get a $75 credit for air fare, and four boarding position upgrades each year. That saves me $120 in early bird fees. Plus they give 7,500 points every year which is about $150 in airfare. If you don’t fly Southwest as much as I do, look into Chase Sapphire. Don’t confuse it with Chase Sapphire reserve which has a whopping $450 annual fee. The regular card as a $95 fee. The points you earn can be transferred to other airline programs such as Southwest Rapid rewards. I might add it to my arsenal one day but for now, I have enough credit cards. Lol

JJVGHNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct, and others can probably tell you a cheaper/better way to do it, but I spent time looking, there are many to choose from, but massanutten seemed the best for me. You only need 3 bedrooms, and these are four, but as others say, choose something you can use of you have to, for is, it's only about a 4 hour drive, and I think they are lock-off, so if we wanted to sell the weeks, or use them, they are each good for two weeks in a 2 bedroom. And many are listed, be sure to get ones that seller pays closing and transfer, all things equal, wherever you choose, if you buy to PIC.

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
Ecelso,
I am relatively new to this, but you have to figure to buy 192,000 retail to PIC 508,000 to gold won't be cheap. The extra 300k retail would be crazy. I know a 300k piggyback from Edisto for MB cost 15k, and I was offered a 500,000 point piggyback at Fairfield Glade for 22k while buying retail. They have rules with piggybacking saying only one contract over retail purchase, or 1:1 point purchasing retail to on points, but I also know they do bend the rules. If you happened to own to pic eligible 3 or 4 bedroom timeshares and got an offer like that, you could buy 154,000 points retail for 20-30k, add a 500k piggyback for 22k if it's still available, and pic 508,000, and be zero to platinum for 40-50k, depending on piggyback deal you could get, in person, at Edisto island or Fairfield Glade. I think Sedona is the 3td piggyback location, but I have not been there.
If you choose telesales, call Brandon, as I wrote in other thread, he had some nice offers with big bonuses and discount. His number, 888-405-5061, and tell him Jeffrey told you to call. Don't know him, but he sure seems like a nice no-pressure guy.

Thanks for the reply and the great input. I got some good perspective from some recent responses to stick with resale... and I think the best approach for me is to do just that. Thanks!

buckor

TUG Member
Reaction score

I did what you are talking about, but only after having learned the "Wyndham system."

I started resale (after rescinding a contract I signed at PCB...we love that resort!). We realized that we could use VIP benefits after a couple of years. Silver didn't seem like it would be the best value for our $$ so we decided to go Gold.

We "bought" (had given to us) two 3 bedroom units at Twin Rivers in Colorado. MFs this year were under $600 each. PICd both and made a retail purchase (through telesales in Orlando...bought CWA for the cheaper upfront costs compared to the cheaper MFs at PCB...our breakeven for buying at PCB vs CWA would've been 18 years).

We've loved it! Now, not everyone does and not everyone **needs** VIP. That's why I encourage you to enjoy your resale purchase for a couple of years and see how the system works for you. If you buy retail today and hate it you're locked into something that's going to be difficult to get out of and lose many thousands of $$. If you wait a couple of years, you might spend a couple more thousand $$ to get what you want, but you'll know you want it and know how to use it.

The only variation I would say is to watch for the official changes in the VIP tiers to be implemented. If you decide to go VIP and you decide that before the new levels are rolled out then get it done...you'll likely be grandfathered in at whatever the new Gold level ends up being without having to purchase an additional 100k points, if the new level holds at 800k points.

Just my $.02.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Ecelso,

HitchHiker71 here. This is what I did last year to get to temp VIPP, permanent VIPG, for about 27k all in. We live in the mid-Atlantic area, so we chose to target 3+ bedroom PICs that are within driving distance for us. That way if the PICs ever become non-PIC eligible or if Wyndham sunsets the PIC program for any reason, we can still use the two PIC weeks easily. We have one 3 bedroom PIC in OBX at OBBC I (Outer Banks Beach Club I) oceanfront view - week 42 - and our second 4 bedroom PIC is in Colonies at Williamsburg week 37. MFs are $753/$859 for 2019. I agree the MFs are much lower than almost any other Wyndham property in comparison. It will take us about 8-10 years to break even when comparing against resale - but our usage patterns aren't "the norm" when compared to most other timesharing folks - so just because what we did works for us doesn't mean it works for everyone else. :)

We own 210k CWA points and 508k PIC points. We also received 590k bonus points when we made our developer purchase via telesales. We paid about $134/1000 points when we purchased in July 2018. We recently purchased 689k resale deeded points at National Harbor - partially for rental income to help offset MFs over time, but also to give us more flexibility in booking vacations for other family members and for family vacations. Still waiting on this contract to actually transfer though.

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Ecelso,

Piggyback is hit and miss from what I've gathered in so far as whether you can actually get a decent deal especially via phone/email. I agree you are probably better off going in person to the resorts the sell these contract types. I've been trying to strike a deal to get up to permanent VIPP via a piggyback contract remotely over phone/email and it's definitely more challenging. I wish telesales could broker piggyback contracts.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
It's Edisto, Fairfield Glade, Flagstaff and Pagosa I believe that offer the deals.

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
A lot of us have travel cards or cash back cards we use them for. I prefer my Southwest card because in addition to points, I get a $75 credit for air fare, and four boarding position upgrades each year. That saves me $120 in early bird fees. Plus they give 7,500 points every year which is about $150 in airfare. If you don’t fly Southwest as much as I do, look into Chase Sapphire. Don’t confuse it with Chase Sapphire reserve which has a whopping $450 annual fee. The regular card as a $95 fee. The points you earn can be transferred to other airline programs such as Southwest Rapid rewards. I might add it to my arsenal one day but for now, I have enough credit cards. Lol

I agree but wanted to add something about the reserve card. You do get a $300 travel credit so the fee is really $150 for the year instead of $450. Also it has higher rewards so in the end the reserve card usually ends up being the better card.