• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVR VIP Check-in for Owners

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
So, we had a stay via Interval free stay certificate at SVR. When we went to check in, were told that, as owners, we had to go to the VIP check in, over in the Lakes phase. This became an infuriating pain in the rear as we had no car, we had plans, we arrived early and just wanted to check our bags with Bell, and wouldn't be back until late that night while the VIP concierge was only there between 1:00 and 8:00. After being jerked around for almost two hours, and riding a shuttle all over the resort, we came to find out that the VIP Check in is just a way to get to us to pitch the owner's update to us. Now I'm used to this, to get wrist bands for pool access or parking passes, or a "special free gift," but to hold checking in hostage until we submit to them trying to talk us into an update? No flippin way! I was beyond furious at this.

Be aware of these shenanigans. Next time, I will totally refuse to play along. Friggin weasels.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
SVR and SVV are the WORST resorts in the system. I think it's because their training camp is nearby, and this is where they train their people to be obnoxious. These people who are supposed to cater to us are THE WORST!

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
So, we had a stay via Interval free stay certificate at SVR. When we went to check in, were told that, as owners, we had to go to the VIP check in, over in the Lakes phase. This became an infuriating pain in the rear as we had no car, we had plans, we arrived early and just wanted to check our bags with Bell, and wouldn't be back until late that night while the VIP concierge was only there between 1:00 and 8:00. After being jerked around for almost two hours, and riding a shuttle all over the resort, we came to find out that the VIP Check in is just a way to get to us to pitch the owner's update to us. Now I'm used to this, to get wrist bands for pool access or parking passes, or a "special free gift," but to hold checking in hostage until we submit to them trying to talk us into an update? No flippin way! I was beyond furious at this.

Be aware of these shenanigans. Next time, I will totally refuse to play along. Friggin weasels.

Why didn’t you just drop your bags with the bell desk at the front if you were early and then go back later? How early did you arrive? We’ve done this in the past and it’s worked like a charm.

I find this story very confusing. I’ve never found the VIP check-in to be high pressure at all. In fact the times I’ve used it the staff have been fantastic and even gave us an extra two free light-sabres for the kids even though we declined the update.

I’m not a fan of the sales staff at SVR and how they behave relative to those at other Vistana resorts - but the VIP check-in has always been smooth for us.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I agree. It’s just a name and an extension of the sales department. I was told to use such VIP check in at another resort. I was taken away from the checking person, who could have just checked me in right then and shuffled over to the VIP desk, where no one was staffing, resulting in a longer wait.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
Why didn’t you just drop your bags with the bell desk at the front if you were early and then go back later? How early did you arrive? We’ve done this in the past and it’s worked like a charm.

I find this story very confusing. I’ve never found the VIP check-in to be high pressure at all. In fact the times I’ve used it the staff have been fantastic and even gave us an extra two free light-sabres for the kids even though we declined the update.

I’m not a fan of the sales staff at SVR and how they behave relative to those at other Vistana resorts - but the VIP check-in has always been smooth for us.

Our original plan was to do just that - drop the bags, and go on about our day. We arrived around 10:30 am via Uber, and were told by Bell that we had to at least let them know at the front desk that we were there. Also, since we would not be returning until very late that night, we didn't want to be considered "no shows" and have our booking canceled. So we went to the front desk. That is where we were told we HAD TO check in at the VIP check in. I questioned that, but they were adamant that as owners, that was the only way and place we could check in and get our Villa keys.

As we had no car, they arranged for a shuttle to take us over. They loaded up our bags, along with those of three other parties, and off we went. After dropping off the other parties at three different locations, we eventually made it to VIP Check In. There was a young man at the desk there who informed us that there was nothing he could do, that we had to be checked in by the VIP Concierge, but he wouldn't be there until 1:00 pm. Fortunately, the shuttle driver had stayed there, in case we were to be taken to our villa. Instead, he took us to the front desk. There, my husband arranged for Bell to store the bags - not just sit on a cart out front - while I went inside and tapped into my inner Karen.

I went back to the front desk and asked why we couldn't just be pre-registered, park our bags, and be on our way. Why did they not know there was no one to check us in over there? Why were we being jerked around like this? I was furious. That's when the front desk guy decided to be honest, likely at risk of getting in trouble, since he spoke almost in a whisper to me. He said that the VIP Check In was just to get us in front of someone that would try to get us to schedule an Owner's Update. He said to just leave our bags with Bell, and whenever we came back, there would be someone there to give us Villa keys and shuttle us over.

Had I known all this beforehand, I would have refused the VIP thing, and just told them we would be back after midnight to finish getting checked in.

Oh, and also found that there is no way to turn the ringer off on the phones in the villa. After two mornings of 9 am calls, I unplugged the stupid thing.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
SVR is awful about letting a person just get out of the check-in area. It's a good reason to stay at Marriott.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
The only place worse than SVR or SVV is Bonnet Creek.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Feel for you. But yes, Wyndham is worse.

Unplugging the phone is the first thing I do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
My advice would be to bring along four young kids and let them have a go at the pop machine and chips. You'll be out in five minutes - I guarantee it! If you don't have kids, see if you can borrow some from the Fountains pool next to the Lakes VIP check-in.

It seems to work for us ;)