• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New car key fob doesn't work 100%

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Needed new Honda key fob for car. Took my old keys to local dealer where they cut and programmed a new key fob. This cost me $179. I out go to use the new key and find out that will ONLY open or lock doors/trunk + turns car on but will not turn over to start. Weird. I walk back into dealer to get told after service man checks with tech that some other $200 part is needed??

Really?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our 2013 Honda CRV- the driver side door will not lock by the key button. Have to put it into the door to lock it and the rear hatch. It will lock the other doors, though, just by pressing the button. IT starts the car ok.

Not to get into the whole thing but we had the car at the dealer twice and they could not figure it out. It is not the key as neither of the keys we have work. The dealer even took the door panel off to see. Then they wanted me to come back again and I said forget it. So we just tolerate it.

Not worth it to pay a lot of money to fix even if they could fox it which it appears they can't. So back to the old fashioned way- key in the key hole.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Needed new Honda key fob for car. Took my old keys to local dealer where they cut and programmed a new key fob. This cost me $179. I out go to use the new key and find out that will ONLY open or lock doors/trunk + turns car on but will not turn over to start. Weird. I walk back into dealer to get told after service man checks with tech that some other $200 part is needed??

Really?
Do you have another key fob? If it works, but the new one doesn't, I'd call FOUL! If either you don't have another fob you're kind of stuck with the dealer's diagnosis. Even in our semi-small city, there are lock & key businesses that claim to be able to sell or reprogram those key fobs. You might call around your area. I know those darn things are expensive, and sometimes the simplest things can wreck 'em. Like getting them wet or close to a strong magnetic field.

Other than that, you have my sympathy.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
On my GM vehicle, I have a physical key plus an electronic fob. The key is used in the ignition and can be used in the door locks. But the vehicle won't start without a properly programmed fob next to the key. I had a replacement key made and then had to program the fob. Actually, I think that I was programming the vehicle to recognize that particular fob. I found instructions for programming the fob/vehicle in the owners manual and also on-line. The programming consisted of going through a very specific sequence of on/off ignition actions and some other things that have to be done. It was pretty easy to do although it wasn't intuitive. Without the exact instructions, I don't think that anyone could reprogram the fob/vehicle. But with instructions it is easy.

I'd suggest checking out the manual or googling to find the procedure. Perhaps there is a youtube video out there.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
okay, will check the manual. I do have one old fob that someone says they sat on :rolleyes:and broke the metal part of the key off, but dealer taped it together and it will start the car if inserted , however the fob buttons do not work ( not sure if it's battery is bad). I also have just a plain key that starts the car .

update, in manual there are some instructions and seems new key fob is improperly coded, by dealer.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure where everyone is from but there is a battery replacement store called "Batteries Plus" and they have various locations in the USA. They will replace your batteries and program your key fob anytime you want for a reasonable charge (a lot less than the new car dealer -- and they likely do a better job also).

Check them out.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Some idiot tried to break into our 17 Honda CRV, stuck a screw driver in the keyhole and broke it off, the tumbler fell out. The dealer wants $500 to replace it, so there it sits and I only use the fob.

Great cars but expensive to repair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure where everyone is from but there is a battery replacement store called "Batteries Plus" and they have various locations in the USA. They will replace your batteries and program your key fob anytime you want for a reasonable charge (a lot less than the new car dealer -- and they likely do a better job also).

I'm a big fan of Batteries Plus. My many experiences with my local store have all been A++...

George

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I'm a big fan of Batteries Plus. My many experiences with my local store have all been A++...

George
Another fan of Batteries Plus. My wife's Nissan Rogue Fob intermittently would not start the car. She went to Batteries Plus, they changed the Fob battery. Charge was $11. Problem solved. Satisfied customer.

Richard

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One more fan of Batteries Plus. Whenever my key fob or my wife's fades, ten minutes, minimum charge, no problem.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was not aware of Batteries Plus until this thread, and lo and behold, there's one in our 'second city'. When/if the need arises, I'll give them a try. Thanks. TUG is such a resource.

Jim

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim,

If you ever have a watch that needs a new battery, go there.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We too love Batteries Plus! We especially used them when we were gradually converting our incandescent bulbs to LEDs. We’d wander in with the old bulb in our hand and ask whether they had an LED to fit the socket, and they always helped us out.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Took the car and keys to Batteries Bulbs Plus today. They were able to reprogram my key For $40. I went back to my Honda Dealer, who refunded my $. They suggested it could be the immobilizer going bad if in the next week new key doesn't work. Crossing fingers now.

Not all stores are going to be equal due to employees being different. My dtr found this out with Brakes Plus