• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best burger ever!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We obviously have been doing ourselves a disfavor by only buying "burger tower" burger patties. I think over the course of a year we only go through two packages of the pre-made patties. They are convenient for pulling a pound's worth of burger out for lasagna or casseroles a few times a year, and over the course of a year we'll barbecue burgers a dozen times or so. During summer months we make sure to buy no less than 15% fat content, because otherwise the patties stick to the grill, but we buy 10% during winter months.

This week we are at Carlsbad Village Resort. Cliff dumped his Mexican leftovers in the middle of the restaurant floor last night, so we thought we'd get him a $3 burger at the afternoon cookout the resort was having. They smelled so good we decided to save my Mexican leftovers for a shared lunch bite tomorrow, and both have a burger. OMG, I have never had a more flavorful burger patty, and so juicy too. Definitely didn't come as pre-made patties, and the fat content might have been as high as 25%. We'll have to go back to making patties from scratch. I am very particular about not wanting to see even a hint of pink in my burger, and the young man doing the grilling did an excellent job.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
IMHO, the quality of the beef makes a major difference and great burgers don't come in tubes. We started raising our own cattle 9 or 10 years ago with Angus, then shifted to Scottish Highlands, which take longer to mature but are worth the wait. Nothing compares to a burger from a three year old steer that you dry aged for 3 weeks or so before the beef was ground, medium rare, with a bit of bacon jam on it.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
IMHO, the quality of the beef makes a major difference and great burgers don't come in tubes. We started raising our own cattle 9 or 10 years ago with Angus, then shifted to Scottish Highlands, which take longer to mature but are worth the wait. Nothing compares to a burger from a three year old steer that you dry aged for 3 weeks or so before the beef was ground, medium rare, with a bit of bacon jam on it.

and the burger's name was____________

(just had to smile at how well you know your burger!)

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
As a general rule, I name them after management at work. Makes it easier in the end....

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Our daughters-in-law are forcing us into experimenting with the veggie and grouper burgers. We'll see how it goes Thursday night! I will still get the beef!

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, the quality of the beef makes a major difference and great burgers don't come in tubes.
I inherited a Kitchenmaid grinder a few years ago. Started buying chuck roasts on sale for $3.99/lb. and double grinding them for burgers and meatballs. DEFINITELY better than "tubed" ground beef for burgers and meatballs.

Fresh ground 85/15 or 90/10 ground beef in the case or at the meat counter (not the plastic tubes) is OK for taco seasoned mix, because I would just spoon out the rendered fat, but the BEST taco meat is from homemade double ground strip steak trimmed of the gristle and fat. Strip steak meat is often on sale for less per pound than "tubed" ground beef.

Frozen "Burger Tower" beef patties are the worst choice. Lots of area to oxidize and freezer burn over time in the freezer. Yech.

Many chain grocery stores offer fresh "ground chuck" in their counter meat department. Give it a try and grill up some burgers. The taste difference is phenomenal, and maybe that is what the OP was tasting. Is fresh ground chuck from the meat case or counter (if you cannot grind your own?) worth a $1 or two more per pound. Definitely.

Note: Grilling burgers made from 90/10 ground beef is a waste of money and time. It needs to be at least 80/20.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
There is a place for all God's creatures.... right next to French fries.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
When home all we use is 80/20 ground chuck for our burgers. When we are at the beach on vacation we get the ground chuck and ground sirloin and mix them. Makes a wonderful burger. We do it while at the beach when we have family with us because it has to be fresh. Too much trouble for just two burgers. Frozen beef will not pass these lips on a burger. Other cuts like something we are going to put in a slow cooker are fine frozen but, not ground beef, for us at least.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

Do you make the bacon jam yourself? It sounds delicious and I’m now craving a burger

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Hubby accidentally bought these about 2 years ago, and now it is all we ever use. You would never know that they are precooked. You can microwave, heat in a skillet or on a grill and they are always perfect. We have cooked them for friends and now they are hooked too. Hubs cooked them on the electric grill for a cul-de-sac BBQ last summer and now one guy says that is all they use. One gal stocked up because she has a teenage boy who can "zap" a couple in the microwave and make his own after-school snack without such a mess. My "foodie" brother was skeptical, but bought some and loves them. He told me last week, that one of his friends calls them Joey burgers. :) They cooked them for a group - he said it was perfect because it did not take much time and you could cook more as needed quickly. You can get them at Sam's or Costco.

imageService

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really like PAT LA FREIDA burgers. They are 80/20 mix of Chuck, Brisket and Short rib. They sell 4 burgers to a pack at Shoprite for $8? $9?. I think the burgers are 6oz each. Really good.

They are ground by PAT LA FREIDA and then vacuum packed fresh and delivered to the store. I also like that I can buy it when I do my weekly shopping and they are still good 4 or 5 days later. Unlike fresh ground meat which would be completely gray by then.