• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott/Vistana overlay

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Good point. Make us give our deeds back and buy into flex? I think I’ll keep my VSN booking instead. Isn’t Westin flex a higher price than Sheraton flex?

Has there ever been a situation in history where two huge timeshare companies combined?
When Wyndham bought Shell and Worldmark, they didn't combine programs at all. They pretty much all operate independently. They do have a limited cross booking feature, but only available to certain VIPs that bought direct.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When Wyndham bought Shell and Worldmark, they didn't combine programs at all. They pretty much all operate independently. They do have a limited cross booking feature, but only available to certain VIPs that bought direct.

Wyndham is now offering Shell owners the chance to get full club Wyndham access with a new purchase or a conversion fee (seems to be $2950)

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been reading through and giving my thoughts in both threads (the one here on the SVN Board and the one over on MVC) and wanted to cross-post (apologies if this is a big no-no, but I thought ok in this case) my thoughts on how I think things might play out.

What MVC could do is:

1) for SVN trust flex Option owners, they use a different fixed exchange rate for each of the various flexOptions programs - say for Westin Flex you get 0.04 DC points for every Westin flexOption; for Sheraton Flex you get 0.03 DC points for every flexOption and for Westin Aventuras you get (who knows....perhaps 0.04, I have no idea how MVC will value Mexico). This doesn't solve the inherent mismatch between Maui and AZ/CA desert weeks within the Westin flex...but that is the worst of the issues and perhaps with some sort of skim MVC can manage it. I think the mismatches between resort demand in the other trusts is much smaller.

2) for SVN weeks owners, they offer an option to enroll in the DC with your week being set at a fixed DC point value (completely unrelated to the SVN StarOptions value and based closer to similar MVC resort values), basically the same as what they did with MVC weeks owners when they launched the program. Yes, weeks owners will see a mismatch between the value ascribed compared to (1) above, but I think MVC could explain it away. Likely more in demand weeks/resorts (Maui. ski weeks...etc) will end up with a value higher than the fixed rate above and less in demand weeks/resorts (Orlando, mud weeks...etc) will end up with a value lower than the fixed rate above. For non-trust resorts, they don't have a true way to compare...and most of these are likely to be in demand resorts which would get a decent DC point value offered.

I think the most marginalized in the above approach would be Platinum desert week owners (both CA and AZ) who would likely not receive nearly the same rate of DC points as Platinum Maui week owners (where in SVN they are on par). However, this may be as good as can get and I suspect it marginalizes the smallest group of SVN owners. MVC had to contend with some of the same concerns when they launched the DC program as many low value week owners were regularly getting high value trades in II. While there was a lot of smoke the first year or so, over time things have settled down and most MVC owners have come to find value in the DC program.

Taken together, this approach also helps minimize the inherent mismatch in the SVN trusts. If they get enough weeks owners on board, the trusts stay a relatively small portion of the overall DC-SVN interaction and (2) above pulls the whole system closer to being on par with relative MVC resort DC point values.

ONE silver lining in all of this that I hope is in MVC's mind and may provide a tiny buffer. The one clear advantage SVN desert weeks (and most SVN mainland resort weeks) has over similarly situated MVC properties is that our properties lock-off into two 1-bedrooms. This should justify a bit of a premium in DC point value over MVC resorts and narrow the mismatch a bit.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I've been reading through and giving my thoughts in both threads (the one here on the SVN Board and the one over on MVC) and wanted to cross-post (apologies if this is a big no-no, but I thought ok in this case) my thoughts on how I think things might play out.

What MVC could do is:

1) for SVN trust flex Option owners, they use a different fixed exchange rate for each of the various flexOptions programs - say for Westin Flex you get 0.04 DC points for every Westin flexOption; for Sheraton Flex you get 0.03 DC points for every flexOption and for Westin Aventuras you get (who knows....perhaps 0.04, I have no idea how MVC will value Mexico). This doesn't solve the inherent mismatch between Maui and AZ/CA desert weeks within the Westin flex...but that is the worst of the issues and perhaps with some sort of skim MVC can manage it. I think the mismatches between resort demand in the other trusts is much smaller.

2) for SVN weeks owners, they offer an option to enroll in the DC with your week being set at a fixed DC point value (completely unrelated to the SVN StarOptions value and based closer to similar MVC resort values), basically the same as what they did with MVC weeks owners when they launched the program. Yes, weeks owners will see a mismatch between the value ascribed compared to (1) above, but I think MVC could explain it away. Likely more in demand weeks/resorts (Maui. ski weeks...etc) will end up with a value higher than the fixed rate above and less in demand weeks/resorts (Orlando, mud weeks...etc) will end up with a value lower than the fixed rate above. For non-trust resorts, they don't have a true way to compare...and most of these are likely to be in demand resorts which would get a decent DC point value offered.

I think the most marginalized in the above approach would be Platinum desert week owners (both CA and AZ) who would likely not receive nearly the same rate of DC points as Platinum Maui week owners (where in SVN they are on par). However, this may be as good as can get and I suspect it marginalizes the smallest group of SVN owners. MVC had to contend with some of the same concerns when they launched the DC program as many low value week owners were regularly getting high value trades in II. While there was a lot of smoke the first year or so, over time things have settled down and most MVC owners have come to find value in the DC program.

Taken together, this approach also helps minimize the inherent mismatch in the SVN trusts. If they get enough weeks owners on board, the trusts stay a relatively small portion of the overall DC-SVN interaction and (2) above pulls the whole system closer to being on par with relative MVC resort DC point values.

ONE silver lining in all of this that I hope is in MVC's mind and may provide a tiny buffer. The one clear advantage SVN desert weeks (and most SVN mainland resort weeks) has over similarly situated MVC properties is that our properties lock-off into two 1-bedrooms. This should justify a bit of a premium in DC point value over MVC resorts and narrow the mismatch a bit.
Great points. I do think the programs will operate along side each other and there’s will Be some sort of access given/granted/or paid for by some. As I've said all along, as long as I keep my star option booking at 8 months in the VSN booking and that trust is separate from others I’ll be quite ok with that. Personally, I have 2-3 of my favorite resorts and that’s all I’m interested in.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Maybe I should have held onto my developer purchase a bit longer lol. I’ll always have my mothers and aunts to fall back on if you need a developer purchase to play In the cross booking game. I truly hope they keep them separate with a cross booking feature. I think a minimal buy in to enroll each VOI into an affiliate exchange using II platform plus an exchange fee could be a good option. It’s a constant money maker on every booking for years to come. It wouldn’t require much change and it could be an upgrade at the POS on Sales presentations for new buyers. Makes it fair for all owners. They can assign “behind closed doors” points to VOI’s in the platform. You’ll see inventory based on what you’re putting in. Creates less angry owners who feel they are getting shafted on a More difficult conversion chart from SO to DC. But I’m still learning.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
After reading a thread on the Hyatt Board, I am seeing that Hyatt is only offering a hybrid program that requires the purchase of points. Very similar to MVCs current program.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
This is why I think they will keep the DC as the main trading system and offer enrollment ($) to Vistana owners. <snip>.
Hmmm....We have one enrolled Marriott unit (they enrolled us for free) and 5 Vistana units. Would this mean we would already be enrolled in the scenario you describe? Sounds like it might be a good deal for us.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Hmmm....We have one enrolled Marriott unit (they enrolled us for free) and 5 Vistana units. Would this mean we would already be enrolled in the scenario you describe? Sounds like it might be a good deal for us.
If they manage it anything like they did for European or AP weeks, they would charge you the difference between what it cost to enroll one week and what it is to enroll two or more. Many that enrolled a single US resort were able to enroll their subsequent European weeks for only $100 or $500 (depending on if they were direct purchase or external resale). If you already had two enrolled Marriott weeks, adding additional weeks would be no additional cost.

This is all a big guess though based on how they handled it in DC.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I'm not sure I see the value proposition for me to enrol in the MVC system if/when the integration does occur. I have looked at picking up a resale DC package on eBay, but when I take a look at the points chart I get sticker shock. For example, the MF's (at $0.58/point) required to book a 2BR OF at MOC would run around $5k/year during the times we would need to travel. I can get essentially the same thing just down the road at WKORV for about half the cost?

The only real advantage I can see to having access to the DC system is more resorts. Sure you get a whole bunch of additional resorts (and they are good quality), but realistically with 25-30 years max left for timesharing/travel in my life; how much choice do I need, especially when we tend to prefer going to our favourite resorts?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I'm not sure I see the value proposition for me to enrol in the MVC system if/when the integration does occur. I have looked at picking up a resale DC package on eBay, but when I take a look at the points chart I get sticker shock. For example, the MF's (at $0.58/point) required to book a 2BR OF at MOC would run around $5k/year during the times we would need to travel. I can get essentially the same thing just down the road at WKORV for about half the cost?

The only real advantage I can see to having access to the DC system is more resorts. Sure you get a whole bunch of additional resorts (and they are good quality), but realistically with 25-30 years max left for timesharing/travel in my life; how much choice do I need, especially when we tend to prefer going to our favourite resorts?

And that doesn’t include the upfront cost which would be about $50,000 if purchased resale.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
And that doesn’t include the upfront cost which would be about $50,000 if purchased resale.
I have nothing to lose but wait to see how much it will cost to translate my Vistana SO into the new combined Marriott System.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have nothing to lose but wait to see how much it will cost to translate my Vistana SO into the new combined Marriott System.
That’s my thinking. Hopefully it happens at a reasonable cost.

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Curious how they would define status if programs are combined. If you are select in Marriott and 3* in Vistana if you were to convert options to Mvc does your level go up or vice versa. I find this merger somewhat confusing so if this question is as well my apologies ahead of time.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Curious how they would define status if programs are combined. If you are select in Marriott and 3* in Vistana if you were to convert options to Mvc does your level go up or vice versa. I find this merger somewhat confusing so if this question is as well my apologies ahead of time.

Based on last Friday's Investor Day presentation at the New York Stock Exchange, they are developing a "common points currency" to "link usage by owners of [all] brands in a seamless fashion" by late 2020. As a result, I would expect future status might be determined by this new common points currency, whatever it turns out to be.

See this thread for more details on the Investor Day https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...e-investor-day-presentation-october-4.296151/

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got a call from Vistana corporate trying to get me to chance my ownership", basically trying to sell me some flex options. The rep claimed going forward that is all that Vistana will be selling.

As part of the introduction, he said they'd be rolling out phase 1 of the integration with Marriott in 2020, to allow using options for 2021 reservations across all 6 Marriott brands (he had to think about what all the brands were, but ended up mentioning Marriott, Sheraton, Westin, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis and Gaylord - not Sur he really knew). Mentioned a Cap White program where Marriott was continuing to acquire distressed properties, was bringing them up to standards and adding them to the program. He said there was one in Costa Rica and one in New York City that he had heard of. He mentioned how Flex options trolled out at about 35 cents/option in 2016 and were now about 20% higher at about 41 cents/option, and that Marriott options were much higher. They were currently working on getting a common point "currency"that should work across all the brands.

So something is definitely being announced next year, but he had no details of what it would entail or what the costs would be. He wasn't trying to get me to convert my current ownership, but said they were offering discounts to Elite owners to help them get more options before the full program rolled out. The options would all be part of the Fee program. He mentioned an example of someone that bought a Christmas week at Nanea and they were able to offer them a 20% discount, the the owner took as a cash discount, but could have also been additional Flex options.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
MVC is talking about a common currency (possibly DC points?) and it will be a conversion rate.
Just got a call from Vistana corporate trying to get me to chance my ownership", basically trying to sell me some flex options. The rep claimed going forward that is all that Vistana will be selling.

As part of the introduction, he said they'd be rolling out phase 1 of the integration with Marriott in 2020, to allow using options for 2021 reservations across all 6 Marriott brands (he had to think about what all the brands were, but ended up mentioning Marriott, Sheraton, Westin, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis and Gaylord - not Sur he really knew). Mentioned a Cap White program where Marriott was continuing to acquire distressed properties, was bringing them up to standards and adding them to the program. He said there was one in Costa Rica and one in New York City that he had heard of. He mentioned how Flex options trolled out at about 35 cents/option in 2016 and were now about 20% higher at about 41 cents/option, and that Marriott options were much higher. They were currently working on getting a common point "currency"that should work across all the brands.

So something is definitely being announced next year, but he had no details of what it would entail or what the costs would be. He wasn't trying to get me to convert my current ownership, but said they were offering discounts to Elite owners to help them get more options before the full program rolled out. The options would all be part of the Fee program. He mentioned an example of someone that bought a Christmas week at Nanea and they were able to offer them a 20% discount, the the owner took as a cash discount, but could have also been additional Flex options.
Did he mention what kind of "options"? Home or Star?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
He said Flex options. Only Flex product would be sold going forward, aside from some weeks they get traded back in from time to time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

The sixth brand is Grand Residence.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
He said Flex options. Only Flex product would be sold going forward, aside from some weeks they get traded back in from time to time.
I understand that they are selling Flex Options but that does not necessarily mean that the StarOptions would not be able to be converted into the common currency since even the Homeoptions that come with the Flex programs convert to Staroptions at 8 months

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I think they have "only" be selling Flex for awhile now (with the exception of Nanea; however, as of this summer they are no longer selling Nanea HomeOptions).

This will probably be a true statement until the next product iteration comes out of the Marriott timeshare factory.

jimandelise

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Williamsburg, Grande Vista and trust points
Vistana Orlando, St John's
Massanutten
Wyndham Williamsburg
Disney Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdo
I had a timeshare presentation at Harborside. There was no mention of flex points. It was buy more points and get the right to book here at 12 months ahead of all the Marriott owners when they get to book next year 2020.

I informed him that as a chairman level, in Marriott I would get a 13 month booking window. His counter was that as an owner I get a pick of buildings and rooms (possible new perk?)

But no mention of getting or needing flex points in the new Marriott program.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I had a timeshare presentation at Harborside. There was no mention of flex points. It was buy more points and get the right to book here at 12 months ahead of all the Marriott owners when they get to book next year 2020.

I informed him that as a chairman level, in Marriott I would get a 13 month booking window. His counter was that as an owner I get a pick of buildings and rooms (possible new perk?)

But no mention of getting or needing flex points in the new Marriott program.

Timeshare salesperson lips were moving...

Let’s remember - they can’t reserve VOIs that they don’t own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now that we are in the promised October 2020 announcement month, do we think we will really get an announcement soon? I don’t know why it should have taken over 2 years to begin with - how much longer do you think they will make us wait?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Now that we are in the promised October 2020 announcement month, do we think we will really get an announcement soon? I don’t know why it should have taken over 2 years to begin with - how much longer do you think they will make us wait?
I’d say now is not the best time to announce anything, especially with half of their customers unhappy with their COVID policy. Also, if there is any sort of “buy in”, this economy may not be the best to do it.

I think we will see it rolled out when travel begins to increase and they want to introduce “a new way to use your ownership”!

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’d say now is not the best time to announce anything, especially with half of their customers unhappy with their COVID policy. Also, if there is any sort of “buy in”, this economy may not be the best to do it.

I think we will see it rolled out when travel begins to increase and they want to introduce “more ways to use your ownership”!
Agree - they want to launch when there will be excitement over the new program and people will be eager to buy.

Given that they've just laid off a good portion of their salesforce, I don't see them launching in this environment.