• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Back to college at age 71.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in the late 1976-1982, I taught systems analysis at a county Community College in the evening. There was a Day class covering the same course work but my class attracted everyone.

One "day" student told me, he figured the evening class would be easier; another said his father wanted to MEET me as he was "possessed" by my class; another adult had his 'term project' subject signing him contract the next day for a 5 figure computer package for his small business. And that contracting company offered my student a full time job.

Attendence was near perfect each class and student particapation was high. I left because I went back to college for a graduate degree .... 100 miles away.

And my youngest nephew is currrently attending his local community college driving my former "cash for clunkers" car (a Ford Focus).

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I love it @Glynda . Retirement is on the horizon for us - we're not quite there but it's close enough that we are beginning to make decisions that will affect our lives going forward. We have decided to stay in our house for as long as possible (lol - just because we don't want to deal with moving) so we are doing as many projects as possible to reduce long term maintenance for us. That part as been relatively easy but thinking about what our lives will look like without the structure of work has been one of the more challenging things for me. As much as we love traveling, we feel like we probably don't want to spend more than 4 - 6 weeks a year away from home, so that leaves over 40 weeks to fill and I have been wondering what to do. You are an inspiration to me. I hadn't considered classes, but we live within 30 minutes of 4 universities and 4 community colleges, so I think that I will start looking in that direction.

Good luck with the class. It sounds like you will do well!

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Very proud of you!
Always time to learn something new in life!
Enjoy!

Brett

Reaction score
yes, you are an inspiration
I'll be looking at the senior tuition waiver program in Virginia

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
It's just so fun to go to school. I love it. I have always told Rick that I would be a lifetime student, if it wasn't so expensive. How fun for you! Enjoy every minute!

I am also learning Italian but only for a one-week trip to Italy followed by a Mediterranean cruise next April. I am working hard at it, but I would love to go to college to learn it better. I just don't have the time. Imagine that. I have no time to learn a language in school, but here I am, trying to learn it on my own. This could be a disaster. My daughter-in-law is also learning Italian. We will see who gets further. I would bet she will.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Good for you, girl! You're going to do great! I'm taking a choral music class at our community college- not nearly as structured and disciplined as your Italian class, but, hey- it gets me out of the house and into the company of younger people.

Sorry to start a thread and then not get back to it to respond for a week! Thank you! You go guy too! The getting out of the house and into the company of younger people is a great benefit! Thoroughly enjoying it though beginning to burn out on so many hours studying and the pain from writing so much with my arthritic fingers. I find that typing something doesn't stick in my mind like writing does.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We get out of the house and into the company of younger people every day when we pick up our grandkids from school. They are seven and five. :)

But Passepartout and Glynda I think you're doing great things! Keep up the good work!

Thanks and I think you're doing a great thing too! I wish we had more than just the one who at 18 is too busy for us.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Glynda
Good on ya, girl! Gotta keep those little grey cells working.

One of the things that was high on our list when looking for a retirement location was availability of senior education. We found an "Academy for Lifelong Learning" program at our local small university campus that has filled the bill for us. We started taking classes soon after moving here. I've been involved on its Board for a number of years, plus have edited its monthly newsletter for even more years. More recently I created and continue to maintain its website.

Through this interaction we've gotten more involved with the University as a whole and do get a chance to mingle with the younger student population some. It's great, and helps keep us from getting too stodgy.

Your involvement is great! I'm not sure how that program differs, but I have a friend who his involved with the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at Furman University in Greenville. It's great for her but offerings are similar to what we have here at our Senior Center. Not as structured or extensive as the college courses. I need that structure to really push myself to grasp the language.

On another note, your posts often remind me that I need to check into Aiken as a potential move. :)

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good for you.
Sei giovane nel cuore e lo sarai mai.
I am 64 and teaching part-time at a college. I don't plan to retire soon, as I love the interaction with the students. I only started my master's program at 54, (to keep up with my husband and kids) and am so glad I did.

You go girl!!! Come sarai sempre!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What an inspiration you are. It shows it is never too late to do the things you want to do. Just do them! As you have. :clap:

Never knew about the tuition program in SC. Almost at the age that I can look into it.

It's never too late to learn! Use it or lose it. ;) I'm glad my post gave you some valuable information. The fees can vary from school to school. A great feature at CofC is that we are also offered free tutoring. So far I don't need one for on paper or in class participation but I know that my weakness is in hearing and responding to those speaking to me in Italian in various situations, so am going to take advantage of one starting this week to help me move from paper to on the spot, real life, conversation. I tend to panic when someone speaks to me in Italian, don't even hear what they've said in many cases, am frozen and unable to respond. Then I walk away and come up with a whole lot of ways I could have responded. :wall::wall:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The company that manages my CCRC here in Fort Worth, Pacific Retirement Services, is in the process of building a new CCRC on the campus of Arizona State University. If I were a few years younger (I'm 84), I would try to transfer there so I could attend classes...

George

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I used to host summer HS students from France. 3 weeks during the summer. I had some HS French .. passing with a "D" average as for learning a foreign lauguage, I am a total failure ... the "D" was a mercy grade as I was college bound.

I could NOT travel during the summer as I have construction work which I supervise. It was a riot .... these 16-19yo girls did NOT have to do any work, ate FAST FOOD for lunch everyday, usually witness a session of Eviction Court, visited Home Depot almost everyday and would spend a weekend visiting Maryland sister to see DC (usually THEN, a White House tour ... "this is really the home of the American President?")

I was invited several times to come & visit these French girls at their homes during the following Fall. I decided I had to DEFINITELY go to France to visit 2 of these girls & their homes.

I went for 2+ weeks in November. WHAT A BLAST! GREAT TRIP! The mom in Brittary would cook a French hot lunch each day for her & I .... the daughter would come home and ask her mother in French, what she made for lunch. Her response was the same each day "That is MY favorite" and her mother would promise to make it again soon for her .. there was NO LEFTOVERs. Her grocery shopping was true European ... just enough for each person who would be eating each meal.

The other family was closer to Paris ... the mother shows me the sights of Paris ... much like the tour of the Brittary invasion beaches with the prior family.

While with Paris family, I took off for a several day trip to Vienna. I just HAD to go see the Spanish Riding School. I stayed at a hostel via a booth at the train station. And I had to PROMISE my French host family to NOT go anywheres else. It seems all formal performances of the Spanish Riding School is PRE-SOLD far, far in advance. Practice sessions had NO MUSIC but the riders and horses are doing training (think of weight lifters in the tight uniforms, no music or comments, just lifting and grutting plus no order to their choice of leaps or steps or turns).

I really liked it .... lots of action. Not a packed crowd. Low key action in the arena ... I just enjoyed the time. I went back the next morning to watch again.

Ha, you brought back a memory. I took fencing in college and made a D--. I just couldn't bring myself to jab someone with the foil! But I made a 100 or all of the written tests and exams. My instructor certainly made her "point". :)

I envy those of you who had successful involvement with exchange students! We never had one but wish we had. Might not be too late.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For me, life in general, and education in particular, is just like farming:

When you're GREEN, you GROW.
When you're RIPE, you ROT.

I prefer to stay GREEN. :)

Good luck with your schooling, and what an exciting reason to take Italian! If you can find someone who speaks fluently, you may find your conversational skills will increase substantially.

Dave

Thank you! And are right on both counts. I am going start working with a free tutor the college offers this week to begin "thinking on my feet" as that is my weakness. Italians speak so fast and run their words together. It takes practice listening and responding. I tend to panic and get a buzz in my head and I don't even hear them. It's getting better, in that I can listen to Italian in a movie or audio book and hear more but it's the spontaneous hearing and responding that I will need in Italy. That I have to work on.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You know you’re going to ace that class.

I hope so. I have six 100% grades now. Mid-terms are next week. I do have to do two oral presentations where I won't know the actual topic and will only have five minutes to gather my thoughts. No notes of any kid allowed. Those could be my downfall.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Go Girl!!! Thanks for sharing your story and good for you for getting out there and doing it! I've been kicking around taking a college class next semester just to challenge myself. Had no idea about the SC over 60 tuition deal...if we move to HH full time in a couple of years I'll be just about the right age to take advantage of it. Awesome!

Thanks! I'm glad I could provide that information for you. It's a really good option for seniors. A senior citizen who sat down by me in the hall as we waited for our different classes turned out to be a woman that was born and raised in my hometown too. And even lived on my street many years after I had left the area. She's almost ten years younger than me. She is taking two courses and plans to finish the degree that she's always regretted not finishing.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm glad I could provide that information for you. It's a really good option for seniors. A senior citizen who sat down by me in the hall as we waited for our different classes turned out to be a woman that was born and raised in my hometown too. An
d even lived on my street many years after I had left the area. She's almost ten years younger than me. She is taking two courses and plans to finish the degree that she's always regretted not finishing.

Talk about a small world!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My son took Spanish in high school got C’s and couldn’t speak the language. Years later my Son came home and started speaking to my housekeeper of 19 years in Spanish. I was totally confused and asked him when he became fluent in Spanish. He answered when I worked at McDonalds.

McDonalds was his very first job.

:D Wish I had could have an immersion experience. For now, I'll take the class and hopefully get to Italy again someday!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"Classroom participation" -- the scourge of my Catholic high school years. Ace the tests and the essay assignments, get a B on my report card for non-participation. Except in Spanish where you didn't have to raise your hand to be forced to participate. Four years of high school Spanish, 8 more quarters at UCLA, including reading "the classics", and I won't say Buenos Dias to the gardener!

Oh! You should start! You'd be surprised how much will come back to you. If you asked me a word in French (high school & college), I probably couldn't tell you. But often, when I'm trying to think of an Italian word, the French just pops into my head. Go figure.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Proud of you, my dear friend....knew you could do it.
All the best to keep up the top-of-the-class ranking. It's no shock to me.
Mona and I are looking forward to seeing you soon. CinCin

Thanks buddy! Looking forward to seeing both of you soon!

Reactions: jme

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ohio has the same senior deal.

Right now I’m taking Instrument Flying Ground School with a group of wannabe Airline pilots. All are working on their Private Pilot license as the first step on a very long ladder.

I’ve taken a few other classes like conversational Spanish and Tai Chi and occasionally taught an introductory Engineering class.

Cheers

That's super!