• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort Credit

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It seems a bad financial deal, but has anyone ever traded DC points for resort credit. I have some expiring points and am debating doing this. $110 credit for 325DC points is a poor value, but not interested in dealing with renting the points either.

Terms say you have to "validate" the credit at the concierge or sales gallery. Seems strange but maybe they think if you're wiling to get these low value Explorer deals, you're ripe for the pickin'. Just wondering of anyone (will admit) to doing this and their experience.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did for 2 sets because they were holding account points expiring within a few months but I would never for points I'd use otherwise.

2boysmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did this as well. Had points expiring that I had banked from last year. We already had our final trip reserved in HH for later this year and so I signed up to use some point towards resort credit as we can use them to rent bikes, eat at the grill etc and I know we'll do those activities. We haven't actually completed the stay yet...it's at the end of October. Not the best use of points but I didn't think I'd be able to rent them short notice so......................

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did that with points in the holding account. Only valid for some resorts and must be used before end of stay. The concierge has to activate it and it is no big deal, it's just their process.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It seems a bad financial deal, but has anyone ever traded DC points for resort credit. I have some expiring points and am debating doing this. $110 credit for 325DC points is a poor value, but not interested in dealing with renting the points either.

Terms say you have to "validate" the credit at the concierge or sales gallery. Seems strange but maybe they think if you're wiling to get these low value Explorer deals, you're ripe for the pickin'. Just wondering of anyone (will admit) to doing this and their experience.

We did something similar a few years ago, traded in DC Points that weren't earmarked for anything else for a credit at the Tanger Outlets nearby Hilton Head Island, which we used at the Kitchen Connection store to outfit the kitchen in the HHI home we bought that year. I still haven't tried to figure out the economics of it, am satisfied that we didn't lose expiring points and didn't have to lay out cash for new pots&pans etc. :)

If I'm remembering correctly we were given certs that we had to bring to the Tanger Outlets customer service center, which they exchanged for ordinary gift cards that extended the expiration date out further from what the Marriott rules stated (expiration at end of stay.)

If they still offered the Tanger Outlets credit I'd consider doing it again, but with a quick look at Resort Credits it appears that all the HHI credits are now for on-property spends (IMO only the Namaste Spa at Barony would be worthwhile.) That's sad because I've never seen better discount label shopping than at the Bluffton Tanger Outlets in January.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
FYI for anyone not aware, to find out where/what Resort Credits are available:

--> sign in to owners.marriottvacationclub.com
--> click on "Use Points"
--> click on "Explorer Collection" under "Exchange Options" in the column on the right
--> scroll down and click on the "Resort Credit" link *
--> scroll down to the "Select A Resort" pull-down menu of participating resorts

* Select the "Ticket Credit" link for info about the theme parks/dinner shows/select attractions credits available at the Florida resorts.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Thanks everyone for all the information!

toxicesq

TUG Member
Reaction score

I did this on the Big Island last July. It's a great way to use up expiring DC points. The "validation" consisted of going to the MVC concierge and having them fill out a form for the front desk to credit your account. I bought the credits ahead of time and decided to buy more while at the resort. I actually ended up with a little credit left over, even after shopping in the gift shop, but it is a terrific way to use points that would otherwise go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

answeeney

TUG Member
Reaction score

It is only a bad financial deal if you have some better way to use your points. Admittedly, it is a last resort, because potentially there are better options for those last few points - but e.g. if they are in the penalty bin and you cannot rent them out what are you going to do instead? I, personally, think it is great to have this option because it means that I can mentally discount the sunk cost of member fees by the last resort value I can get from resort credit.

But, yes, going to collect makes you a mark.