• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I'm new, and reading, reading, reading !! But I want to say "hello" also !!

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many

Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club, Platinum, Studio, Biennial 2,200 Points

“obtain more value and enjoyment from timeshare ownership”

I'm looking forward to having Internet friends here who understand timeshares in general, as well as possibly having some specifics in common with me.

How do you plan on using your points? The experts here can help you come up with a strategy for using your points effectively. It depends on whether your schedule is flexible and you can plan ahead. For example, it is better to be a borrower. You can get points from next year and use it this year for no fees. So you can book a unit that needs more points. Open season is available to you as well even though you own a week with low points.

LynnHilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara
My family and I love Myrtle Beach. Ocean 22 is our choice, but any of the 3 are nice with great locations.

That's great to know that you like all 3 locations !! No matter where I stay, I intend to visit the others for a look around.

LynnHilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara
How do you plan on using your points? The experts here can help you come up with a strategy for using your points effectively. It depends on whether your schedule is flexible and you can plan ahead. For example, it is better to be a borrower. You can get points from next year and use it this year for no fees. So you can book a unit that needs more points. Open season is available to you as well even though you own a week with low points.

Thank you for the nice reply, and your interest in my points use 'em plan !!

I've already made the general decision that calendar year 2020 is going to be "The Year of The Travel" for me, either alone or with family and friends.

I've also made the general decision that I'm going to use all the points I have PLUS borrow my 2021 points to use in 2020.

Here is the math: I plan to use 8400 points during calendar year 2020:

2200 Club Points ("Year 2020 Saved ClubPoints" i.e. already rolled over from purchase year 2019 to use in year 2020)
2200 Club Points ("Year 2021 ClubPoints" i.e. will borrow to use in year 2020)
4000 Bonus Points (i.e. will use all in year 2020)​

Here are the destinations:

Florida - Atlantic
South Carolina - Myrtle Beach
California - Carlsbad
Now I'm just waiting for my adult sons to tell me their vacation availability for 2020, then I'm going to nail down some solid reservations.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@LynnHilton you said you had "biennial" points? Sounds like you have annual points every year?

Also sooner the better for reservations. The closer to the 9 month advance reservation window, even at midnight ET when it opens is best if you are picking times during school vacation or summer.

LynnHilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara
@LynnHilton you said you had "biennial" points? Sounds like you have annual points every year?

Also sooner the better for reservations. The closer to the 9 month advance reservation window, even at midnight ET when it opens is best if you are picking times during school vacation or summer.

No, it's biennial. Sorry, my list above looks confusing because I previously had 2200 for year 2019, and 2200 for year 2021. I already saved the year 2019 points to use in 2020, so now the HGV website refers to them as "Saved Club Points for 2020" even they originated in 2019.

LynnHilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara
@LynnHilton

Hmmm, here is my first chance to ask a "real" question.

My son will be available to vacation with me in August or September 2020.

So, I won't even have an opportunity to book either of those until December 2019 or January 2020, is that correct?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Got it. Good way to stack your points in 2020.

Yes 9 months in advance of first check in. This is good because club has not started. Search "walking reservation" in HGVC forum so you can have best shot at resorts. Start at least 3 days prior to first day at midnight eastern and walk it forward with change reservation every night at midnight ET for best selection.

Bonus pts can't be walked but can be adjacent to club reservations. requires a cancel and rebook which costs $. Make sure to use 2019 and bonus points first so they are used before they expire.

You can look in the system now and see how many home resort reservations have been taken for your dates and for what units.

Congrats on making the most of your investment.

Last edited:

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I try to avoid travel to Florida and South Carolina during Hurricane Season. Exchanging into Park City, Carlsbad, or the Big Island would be easy to accomplish and you would not have to worry about the weather so much if you are planning a trip in late August or in September. However, if your son can travel between March and July, Florida and South Carolina would most likely be great weather. Las Vegas has great weather almost always.

LynnHilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara
I try to avoid travel to Florida and South Carolina during Hurricane Season. Exchanging into Park City, Carlsbad, or the Big Island would be easy to accomplish and you would not have to worry about the weather so much if you are planning a trip in late August or in September. However, if your son can travel between March and July, Florida and South Carolina would most likely be great weather. Las Vegas has great weather almost always.

Yeah, I think I should also have a strategy to avoid FL and SC during Hurricane Season, good point.

I'll wait until I get both sons vacation availability for the whole year, and then choose locations wisely.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
Welcome @LynnHilton I purchased my first TS at HGVC Elara as well. Have never stayed there as the exchange power within the HGVC system allows for members to explore great destinations. Even my trips to Vegas have been at other properties since I can book what I need for fewer points than wasting them all in a home week reservation.

The gang here will help you with a wealth of knowledge. After my first few years of HGVC travel, the advice on this forum has helped me to start acquiring additional TS properties at little cost (resale) and allowed me to expand my vacation fun.

Last edited:

LynnHilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara
Welcome @LynnHilton I purchased my first TS at HGVC Elora as well. Have never stayed there as the exchange power within the HGVC system allows for members to explore great destinations. Even my trips to Vegas have been at other properties since I can book what I need for fewer points than wasting them all in a home week reservation.

The gang here will help you with a wealth of knowledge. After my first few years of HGVC travel, the advice on this forum has helped me to start acquiring additional TS properties at little cost (resale) and allowed me to expand my vacation fun.

Thank you for the welcome, mcsteve !!