• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Costa Rica club in the future?

BigMac

Reaction score
Someone mentioned a while ago that they had heard there might be something opening up in Costa Rica . This is a MVC design team in Costa Rica this week. @BPilaDesign

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I heard that they were going to expand to Los Suenos, but who knows????

Best,

Greg

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I think putting a property in Costa Rica would be awesome. Sign me up. :cheer:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
While the destinations may be great, don't consider me overly excited for any of them. Marriott certainly won't purpose build new resorts in these types of places. They will buy a hotel or resort and convert the hotel rooms to timeshare. Which usually doesn't work well in my opinion.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
While the destinations may be great, don't consider me overly excited for any of them. Marriott certainly won't purpose build new resorts in these types of places. They will buy a hotel or resort and convert the hotel rooms to timeshare. Which usually doesn't work well in my opinion.

I agree retrofitting is unlikely to be able to produce the same results as new construction. Although, I could see taking 3 hotel rooms and using the plumbing/electrical connections in the middle room bath to turn that into a kitchen area and replace the bedding with a sitting/dining area. The rooms on either side could remain as bedrooms with baths. You would just need to add/eliminate connecting doors for each tri-plex of rooms. Not as good as a purpose built 2BR, but it could do in a pinch.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I agree retrofitting is unlikely to be able to produce the same results as new construction. Although, I could see taking 3 hotel rooms and using the plumbing/electrical connections in the middle room bath to turn that into a kitchen area and replace the bedding with a sitting/dining area. The rooms on either side could remain as bedrooms with baths. You would just need to add/eliminate connecting doors for each tri-plex of rooms. Not as good as a purpose built 2BR, but it could do in a pinch.

That's essentially what they did with Maui Ocean Club original towers, except they didn't do what you suggest with the middle room bath. They left that bath in place, making the units 2BR 3BTH and just did the mini kitchen. I think they should have spent the money to do what you suggest.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That's essentially what they did with Maui Ocean Club original towers, except they didn't do what you suggest with the middle room bath. They left that bath in place, making the units 2BR 3BTH and just did the mini kitchen. I think they should have spent the money to do what you suggest.
I think it had more to do with fire code than cost. THough getting it up to fire code would have required more cost. Adding a full kitchen means an oven and stove top. With proper ventilation and perhaps a fire barrier behind the kitchen. The hotel wasn't built with that in mind and adding it in the retrofit probably wasn't practical. We don't see it in any Marriott conversions, do we?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think it had more to do with fire code than cost. THough getting it up to fire code would have required more cost. Adding a full kitchen means an oven and stove top. With proper ventilation and perhaps a fire barrier behind the kitchen. The hotel wasn't built with that in mind and adding it in the retrofit probably wasn't practical. We don't see it in any Marriott conversions, do we?

I'm not aware of a Marriott conversion with full kitchen, but I do believe some HGVC and Vistana conversions do have at least cooktops. I'm taking specifically about the Westin Los Cabos and the HGVC Ocean Tower in Waikoloa.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Marriott St. Kitts is a conversion with full kitchens.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau

Are you sure? They certainly didn’t look like a conversion to me. Timeshare, not hotel, has mostly 2 bedrooms and some 3 bedrooms.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
9068B726-71A6-4340-BEE0-886D5F30E9F7.jpeg
Are you sure? They certainly didn’t look like a conversion to me. Timeshare, not hotel, has mostly 2 bedrooms and some 3 bedrooms.
Yes, we own there.
The resort is co-located with the Marriott hotel, which originally had one main building and many smaller buildings.
Buildings 3 to 10 to the right of the main pool in the site plan were each converted from some 30 hotel rooms to 11 MVC units.
They are excellent conversions and very large units.

Attachments

• 2C4BE6E4-F0DE-4EE2-B984-83B6ACEC1E35.jpeg
    2C4BE6E4-F0DE-4EE2-B984-83B6ACEC1E35.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 43

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe The Aruba Ocean Club was a conversion as well - or so we were told when we owned there briefly over 10 years ago... And that has full kitchens (it can be done)...

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The original section at Crystal Shores was a hotel conversion, from a kitchen standpoint Maui and Kauai were done poorly and the worst part is there is plenty of space and plenty of options to do it far better.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The original section at Crystal Shores was a hotel conversion, from a kitchen standpoint Maui and Maui were done poorly and the worst part is there is plenty of space and plenty of options to do it far better.
Maui and Kauai?

What about the Big Island, Bali, any of the Pulse locations?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui and Kauai?

What about the Big Island, Bali, any of the Pulse locations?
Yes, I think autocorrect got me and given the short message, I didn't proof it. I'm not sure about the others as to how they turned out or what the options were. Independently for a different reason I had looked at the BI kitchen and read the description. It looks to be roughly the same and would be a big detriment for us. Anything less than a convection microwave, mid sized fridge and a 2 top burner is a significant compromise for us. For Maui it's less of an issue than Kauai because of the proximity to whalers village and all the options there. I think the issue that gets me the most personally is there is plenty of space to do a LOT more than they did for Kauai and Maui even a W/D combo since they don't need vents, just hot/cold and a return line. If we do Pulse we'll vacation differently than we would for HI, esp if just the 2 of us, so it'd be less of an issue. But if I know I can make choices, that's why we never intend to stay at KBC again and would skip a week rather than doing so.

BigMac

Reaction score
I heard that they were going to expand to Los Suenos, but who knows????

Best,

Greg
Could be - The hotel has 201 rooms so not sure they can do too many conversions per se at the hotel. There are not a lot of hotels in the area other than the Marriott but a ton of condos - some quite near to the resort.

sjols-attraction-marino-0118-hor-clsc.jpg

sjols-aerial-0107-hor-clsc.jpg
sjols-exterior-0001-hor-clsc.jpg

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
We would go to this resort, as weeks owners though it’s an iffy proposition. The points only resorts tend to be few and off season.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 13056

They are excellent conversions and very large units.

They sure are. We are going back for our second time this year. Can’t wait,

I’ve been wishing for a MVC in CR for a long time. But like dioxide45, we don’t like conversions. We want a kitchen. Unless they build kitchens I’ll stick with the Hotel Punta Islita. We loved it there

Last edited: