• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

$25 off saving points between October 1 and October 7.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The HGVC system is well designed - nice and fluid. I am more inclined to buy more points with HGVC because the points flexibility will age well with us as our traveling tastes change.

I agree with you. In fact, I just added more points. I know that we can trade via RCI, but I really enjoy the HGVC system too much to even try to figure out how to work that. Plus, I am really liking the new resorts that HGVC has been adding.

btw, I have found that this time of year is a good time to buy HGVC resale. This is because MFs will be due soon and sellers are wanting to unload unused properties. I use that to my advantage. I also believe that there is a better chance of passing ROFR during this time of year.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Sounds like you might need to purchase some more points.

I feel like I’m at the sweet spot for us, 14,400 points, single contract. I have 17 days booked for 2019 so my next booking will be 2020 and I can borrow from 2021.

I still have a separate RCI and Interval account from other ownership I’ve divested, so I can just supplement with cash rentals of extra weeks.

I think we go through phases of ownership, starting small, then going a little crazy, then divesting to a portfolio that is easy to get rid of or leave to heirs when the time comes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I feel like I’m at the sweet spot for us, 14,400 points, single contract. I have 17 days booked for 2019 so my next booking will be 2020 and I can borrow from 2021.

I still have a separate RCI and Interval account from other ownership I’ve divested, so I can just supplement with cash rentals of extra weeks.

I think we go through phases of ownership, starting small, then going a little crazy, then divesting to a portfolio that is easy to get rid of or leave to heirs when the time comes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'll be waiting when you divest yourself of that 14.4!

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

I think that you have mastered maximizing HGVC point usage.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an email today from HGVC with offer of saving 2018 points between October 1 and October 7, 2018 and you'll receive a $25 discount on your save points transaction fee.

It seems that in several of the past few years there's been an initial savings offer on, well, saving in early October. Unless I missed something from HGVC, no love to far this year.

Do Note that this is the offer from last year and not an indication of any current offer (yet)

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I was told that they moved to the automatic saving in January so no promo this year. I have points to bank too. Waiting until Nov/early Dec to pull the trigger just in case a promo pops up.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told that they moved to the automatic saving in January so no promo this year. I have points to bank too. Waiting until Nov/early Dec to pull the trigger just in case a promo pops up.

Thanks. I saw a notice in the newsletter I got today about the automatic saving, but thought that is started next year from the way it was worded. So one has to decide early in the year if one is going to save points, and then pay a reduced fee then? Or do I simply not understand this?

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It sounds like you have to opt into automatically saving your points in January of the year and you pay an upfront fee for this. However if you end up not having points to save I presume you've paid a fee for nothing?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I think the autosave option is really an "insurance policy" to save the points. Yes its more expensive than borrowing, but with this you don't have to think about saving your points at the end of the year. While most tuggers are pretty dialed into their holdings and dates, I bet there is a lot of owners than only log into their account once or twice a year. Basically book their annual week, and then again to pay the MF....

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
I opted into the automatic savings last year and double checked this year to make sure it is in place. I was not aware of any dollar savings or extra cost other than the standard fee to save. My understanding is it is simply a safeguard in case you were to miss saving your points manually. I also understand there is no fee for borrowing from future years, only a fee for saving unused points.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the link I got in my email from them (bolding is mine):

HGVC website said:
Save Next Year’s Points With AutoSave
In 2020, you can save your ClubPoints from expiring without lifting a finger. When you enroll in the AutoSave feature, you will automatically protect any remaining Points you have for use in the next year. AutoSave enrollment is available from Jan. 1 through March 31, and allows you to save your 2020 Points early at a reduced transaction fee, saving you money. Be on the lookout for communications from HGV announcing next year’s AutoSave enrollment period and details on how to participate.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is helpful. Do they charge only if you need to bank? or do they get their fee if you don't need it. (if the latter, I could simply put a tickler in my calendar and save a few $$.)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
This is helpful. Do they charge only if you need to bank? or do they get their fee if you don't need it. (if the latter, I could simply put a tickler in my calendar and save a few $$.)
The way I read it is you pay the discounted fee early in the year, and then if you don't end up needing to save points, you are out of luck (and out the pre-paid fee). Thankfully I've never had to save points, but unless you know you will need to save points, I don't see the ~$20 savings worth the risk.

Kurt