• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

It is time to get a different television service

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We spend five months at Christmas Mountain and have been paying for their cable service. It is bad, but gets worse almost daily. In addition to not being able to get any of the cable news stations which we are supposed to get in the package, we are now unable to get NBC and ABC, leaving CBS as our only network station.
We are leaving in two weeks, so I am planning for next year.
I do have an antenna and might be able to get the networks with that.
Which streaming service would you all recommend?
My husband definitely wants the golf channel, and espn, and he likes Cspan and the news channels, sports channels, history channel and weather channel.
I like to watch the news stations and network tv. I have the Roku stick, and I think I have another working one. I would like to have three working tvs in the house.
so we would want a package with those stations and the networks if possible.
Dish wont work as we are in solid woods with fifty foot trees surrounding the house.
there is a service called reeds burg Utility, will cost us close to 500 to bring from road to our house, and i have heard $175 a month.
An important consideration is to be able to disconnect for seven months of the year.
as an aside, I do have a subscription to Netflix and Amazon Prime, and I have Xfinity on my Ipad as we pay for that year round in Florida.
My husband does not watch any programming or movies with a plot.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fubo has the most sports channel in the world of streaming service. They have everything that you have listed except ESPN. Fubo plus additional sports package costs $64 per month. You can get ESPN through Sling for $25 per month. Total comes up to $89 per month. You still have to pay for internet. The nice thing is that streaming services is month to month and you can turn them on when you spend your 5 months at Christmas Mountain and turn them off when you leave.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fubo has the most sports channel in the world of streaming service. They have everything that you have listed except ESPN. Fubo plus additional sports package costs $64 per month. You can get ESPN through Sling for $25 per month. Total comes up to $89 per month. You still have to pay for internet. The nice thing is that streaming services is month to month and you can turn them on when you spend your 5 months at Christmas Mountain and turn them off when you leave.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear YouTube TV is good, but I don't know anything about it. I think you can get it on your Roku.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I have the Roku stick, and I think I have another working one
... and I have Xfinity on my Ipad as we pay for that year round in Florida.

You should be able to use the xfinity streaming app on your Roku stick. I use that in my home office because I didn't want to pay a monthly fee for a cable box for that TV.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've done both Fubo and Sling. I like Fubo's interface and features better. There are enough sporting events that I don't much miss ESPN, though I will still get the latter during the peak of college football season. Not sure which locals you get there via Fubo; I get everything *except* ABC.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've done both Fubo and Sling. I like Fubo's interface and features better. There are enough sporting events that I don't much miss ESPN, though I will still get the latter during the peak of college football season. Not sure which locals you get there via Fubo; I get everything *except* ABC.
Yes, I forgot, ABC is a problem with Fubo. We kept Fubo and it is a keeper! We terminated Sling after a month because our condo community paid for the entertainment package through DirecTV for every household and we get DirecTV for free and it has ESPN. 2nd box for DirecTV for our other TV is only $7. Oue FUBO subscription is good for 2 concurrent connections so we are good there as well. $64+7 per month sure beats our $150 per month cable bill. We pay about $60 for internet separately, through the same cable company.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t recall even turning on ABC, so Fumo sounds okay

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I like PlayStation Vue. Lots of sports and you can tile several channels at once on the screen (at least using an Apple TV for streaming). Most of these offer free trials so try them all.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be able to use the xfinity streaming app on your Roku stick. I use that in my home office because I didn't want to pay a monthly fee for a cable box for that TV.

THIS.!

If you are already paying Comcast for the Xfinity device then it can be accessed remotely. Seem unnecessary to pay for something else when that was your chosen service.

There may be occasional problems with watching something live but if that is the case and known them it can be recorded and watched later. If it absolutely has to be watched live then give the antenna a try.

Before going to other choices I'd recommend eliminating the Xfinity option first.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I cut the cable cord for my avatar pictured home a long time ago. Yes, it is out in the woods, but I brought a digital antenna .. which is what you need in this century for over the air reception.

From what I understood, the Feds require Over-the-Air broadcasting for emergency broadcasting ... lots of local stations (UHF style). I manage ... but I do not have internet there.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could not connect Xfinity on the Roku, it said I need a subscription. I am also unable to watch jeopardy on Xfinity, it is basically nbc and a couple other stations.

So what is a digital antenna

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Tivo ota works really good for us. We can record 180 hours of programming. The Tivo has apps like Netflix, Amazon and You Tube.

I have reminders of my past viewing options. There is an abandoned 14ft c-band dish up on the hill. An abandoned dishnet and a Direct Tv small dish on my roof.

Bill

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I could not connect Xfinity on the Roku, it said I need a subscription. I am also unable to watch jeopardy on Xfinity, it is basically nbc and a couple other stations.

So what is a digital antenna
You can stream Xfinity through your laptop and connect it to your TV and use it as a display screen. But you will need to operate all functions of channel selection etc from your laptop.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
It said I needed a streaming subscription. I have the app on my iPad but not on Roku

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have to install the app on the roku device and then log in using the same credentials you used for the app on your iPad. At least that's what worked for me.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to install the app on the roku device and then log in using the same credentials you used for the app on your iPad. At least that's what worked for me.
That is what I attempted to do, it didn’t work

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It said I needed a streaming subscription. I have the app on my iPad but not on Roku
If you don't want to stream xfinity on your laptop, subscribing to Fubo for the 5 months each year is your solution. You can use Roku to search fubo and add it as a channel.

Last edited:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently gave up my cable connection. Previously I had done a bit of research, but the 'intangible' nature of things kept me a bit confused. Now that I have an Amazon Fire TV connection, these posts make a lot more sense.

I am still in the free trial phase of Hulu. I chose the plan for a few more $ which said 'no commercials' and I like that, a lot. I think it was $11.99 vs. $5.99.)

Many comments reference sports channels. This is of no interest to me. Does someone have a recommendation for types like me?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I recently gave up my cable connection. Previously I had done a bit of research, but the 'intangible' nature of things kept me a bit confused. Now that I have an Amazon Fire TV connection, these posts make a lot more sense.

I am still in the free trial phase of Hulu. I chose the plan for a few more $ which said 'no commercials' and I like that, a lot. I think it was $11.99 vs. $5.99.)

Many comments reference sports channels. This is of no interest to me. Does someone have a recommendation for types like me?

All of them list their channel lineups and whether they offer DVR service or not. You Tube has a live TV service also. The nice thing is they all offer free trials so try them all and stick with what you like.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is what I attempted to do, it didn’t work
Strange that it doesn't work. Maybe contact Comcast support to see if they can figure out what's wrong?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I correct that none of the aforementioned services offer CBS without an additional fee?