• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where should we have family reunuin for New Years

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Relatives live in Texas , South Florida and South Carolina.

We normally go in the summer to Myrtle Beach or Florida panhandle because its central for everyone. But its getting harder and harder to get everyone together and all the college kids are out of school for New Years. We can get great off season rates in those cold beach locations but its not going to be beach weather.

All adults no little kids. Between 12 to 20 people depending on who comes. 7 college kids and bunch of old people. LOL
Its does not need to be 7 days 3-4 nights will work

Looking for alternatives.
So far we came up with
1. Orlando of coarse.

2. Smoky Mountains
I have no experience with timeshares in the Smokey's. But we will want a nice view and to be in the hills/mountain not flat land. We all live in flat lands so if it's going to be cold it needs to be beautiful right outside the window. Will any of the timeshares in that area be worth looking at. We don't care about water parks etc. more interested in nature.

I found a cool website for cabins https://www.largecabinrentals.com/

3. NYC
We will have to cash in everyones Hotel points and by airlines tickets but it's a once in a lifetime thing. Not sure its worth it. I enjoy New Year's eve just fine on the TV, but I could check it off the list. The college kids think its cool.

4. Mexico
We will have to buy flights but its warm.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thinking outside the box, Bermuda. it won't be that warm, but different.

(No offence taken if you don't even consider this suggestion.)

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
first choice is someplace most can drive to if possible. 20 airline tickets gets costly

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would rent a house in the Smokies. I don't know anything about the timeshares there.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Not a drive-to location, but usually cheap flight tickets: Vegas, Baby!

Lots of relatively cheap accommodations, plenty of activities, etc. Our spread-out family decided to get together there one Christmas, and had a great time.

Kurt

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you ski? We spent New years in Durango one new years and had a great time.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you ski? We spent New years in Durango one new years and had a great time.
Not enough of us flat landers have the clothes or experience for that kind of vacation.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
New York, or for that matter, any big city does not seem like the ideal place for a family reunion to me. Very difficult for a group of 20 to maneuver around together. It would be hard to find a places to eat together, let alone find somewhere big enough to have the whole group in to eat. There is so much to do in NYC, I would think there would not be that much connecting, and little groups would be constantly off on their own. Especially if it were their first visit there. A beach or mountain setting with a slower pace sounds better to me for visiting and connecting.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, or Chatanooga. Lots to do around any of those and if you choose a shoulder season, there should be availability. Maybe renting a BIG house on VRBO.

geekette

Reaction score
Relatives live in Texas , South Florida and South Carolina.

We normally go in the summer to Myrtle Beach or Florida panhandle because its central for everyone. But its getting harder and harder to get everyone together and all the college kids are out of school for New Years. We can get great off season rates in those cold beach locations but its not going to be beach weather.

All adults no little kids. Between 12 to 20 people depending on who comes. 7 college kids and bunch of old people. LOL
Its does not need to be 7 days 3-4 nights will work

Looking for alternatives.
So far we came up with
1. Orlando of coarse.

2. Smoky Mountains
I have no experience with timeshares in the Smokey's. But we will want a nice view and to be in the hills/mountain not flat land. We all live in flat lands so if it's going to be cold it needs to be beautiful right outside the window. Will any of the timeshares in that area be worth looking at. We don't care about water parks etc. more interested in nature.

I found a cool website for cabins https://www.largecabinrentals.com/

3. NYC
We will have to cash in everyones Hotel points and by airlines tickets but it's a once in a lifetime thing. Not sure its worth it. I enjoy New Year's eve just fine on the TV, but I could check it off the list. The college kids think its cool.

4. Mexico
We will have to buy flights but its warm.
Smokies!!!

Lovely area, probably still dressed in Christmas. Many choices of where to stay, plenty to do. Should be reasonably accessible to all.

As a Bluegreen owner, I have been to Mountain Loft repeatedly. I take coffee on the balcony and watch the mist over the Smokies, which is what gave them their name. ML is very near a park entrance. Cades Cove in the park is known for wildlife, plus there are some structures there. I can't remember well, but it seems there was a ranger station or educational center or something like that where we stayed a bit after driving around looking at animals.

I would recommend Blue Ridge Parkway as scenic cruising and highly recommend the Folk Art Center tucked in there. I am sorry that I am not at all sure where along the parkway that particularly interesting lodge is but we spent hours there.

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
I would say somewhere on the Florida Panhandle (Pensacola Beach, Destin, Seaside, Panama City, etc.). It's the off season so there should be a lot of availability. There are a number of timeshares in this area. There are also some big beachfront houses in places like Pensacola beach that you could rent.

It is within driving distance to some locations in Texas, South Carolina, and Florida.

It would be easy to get around, lot of food options when you wanted to eat out and you could have some good quality family time in a low-key atmosphere.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
first choice is someplace most can drive to if possible. 20 airline tickets gets costly

Marriott Ocean Pointe would work and there's plenty of units to book for that time but it will not be cheap.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Cancun and Puerto Vallarta will have beach weather, lots of timeshares and hotels. This would increase the cost of transportation. Atlanta has plenty of hotels but not that much in the way of timeshares. However, it is a relatively easy drive. There are many hotels that could accommodate your family reunion. You are blessed to have a family that wants to get together so frequently. The same also applies to New Orleans.