• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to lock off, deposit and/or trade

Calba205

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista x 2
I just purchased my first TS which is a 2 bd platinum season at Grande Vista. Deed was just recorded so I don’t have Marriott account or II account yet but I want to get an understanding of how to trade. The sellers made a 2020 reservation for me and, much to my surprise, they reserved the week prior to and leading up to Easter (April 4-11) which is has a TDI of 145. So I’m thinking I scored a fantastic trading week but I’m not sure I have the correct order to do these things. How do I lock it off and deposit it as 2 units or is it too late because I already have a reservation for a 2 bedroom? Does the lock off and deposit get done through Marriott or II? Or either one? When/why would one choose to do a lock off, deposit and take through Marriott as opposed to II or is it just a matter of preference. I’m thoroughly confused and appreciate your guidance once again.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Once you get your Marriott account, call them and tell them you want to lock off. Pay the fee ($89?) and you'll get 2 separate reservations. You can then get an II account and deposit one or both sides.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just purchased my first TS which is a 2 bd platinum season at Grande Vista. Deed was just recorded so I don’t have Marriott account or II account yet but I want to get an understanding of how to trade. The sellers made a 2020 reservation for me and, much to my surprise, they reserved the week prior to and leading up to Easter (April 4-11) which is has a TDI of 145. So I’m thinking I scored a fantastic trading week but I’m not sure I have the correct order to do these things. How do I lock it off and deposit it as 2 units or is it too late because I already have a reservation for a 2 bedroom? Does the lock off and deposit get done through Marriott or II? Or either one? When/why would one choose to do a lock off, deposit and take through Marriott as opposed to II or is it just a matter of preference. I’m thoroughly confused and appreciate your guidance once again.
Once Marriott has you officially listed you can set up your II account at your expense and add GV to your account. If your reservation is already for a 2 BR lockoff you should be able to just pay the fee to lock it off. If not and it's for a dedicated 2 BR of any type, you'd need to cancel (additional fee) and reserve another week subject to availability. You may want to consider canceling and scheduling later in the year anyway if available as lead time to the reservation has an affect on both your trade power and how long you'll have to use the deposit. If your GV is in the FL club you might also try to book for Beachplace or Ocean Point for Platinum time in a lockoff. Both will likely give you a higher trade power than this GV week if you can get a decent platinum week that's as late or later. Or you might wait and see if you can get week 51 or 52 at GV which is a perfect world is like your best bet. Remember TDI isn't a statement of trade power between locations, it's only a valid comparison for weeks at a given location or region.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
You did everything right for a first purchase -- resale, reasonable week reserved, etc.

Congrats.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One very important element to trading is putting in the trade as soon as possible. Aside from the trading value of what you're offering I think the next biggest factor in II trade requests is how early you make the trade request.

Calba205

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once Marriott has you officially listed you can set up your II account at your expense and add GV to your account. If your reservation is already for a 2 BR lockoff you should be able to just pay the fee to lock it off. If not and it's for a dedicated 2 BR of any type, you'd need to cancel (additional fee) and reserve another week subject to availability. You may want to consider canceling and scheduling later in the year anyway if available as lead time to the reservation has an affect on both your trade power and how long you'll have to use the deposit. If your GV is in the FL club you might also try to book for Beachplace or Ocean Point for Platinum time in a lockoff. Both will likely give you a higher trade power than this GV week if you can get a decent platinum week that's as late or later. Or you might wait and see if you can get week 51 or 52 at GV which is a perfect world is like your best bet. Remember TDI isn't a statement of trade power between locations, it's only a valid comparison for weeks at a given location or region.

Thanks for your thorough reply. Yes, it’s in the FL club. I made sure of that based upon all of the TUG posts before I purchased it. You Tuggers are the best. I couldn’t have done this without you.

Calba205

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One very important element to trading is putting in the trade as soon as possible. Aside from the trading value of what you're offering I think the next biggest factor in II trade requests is how early you make the trade request.
Looking forward to getting the accounts set up so I can start working on 2020. It’s a big year for our family. My youngest daughter is turning 16, oldest daughter turning 20 and I’m turning 50. Yikes. So definitely will be one or two special trips next year and I’m looking forward to using my TS. Been wanting to do this since using a friends TS at the Aruba Surf Club in 2017. Very excited to finally have my own. Thanks for all of the advice!